The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would Bayern not worry about Davies playing his games here on turf though?  

Well, yes and no. But these kinds of transfers happen all the time in football. Tough luck if it happens. But I think they'd rather have him playing than not. Playing time is key at his age. Turf or not.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Way to over-interpret a 20 year old transfer. There are a literally dozens of flops and positive surprises between Hargreaves and now who give a better indicator. :lol:

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Whitecaps better use davies money in the offseason and buy some good players ( and i mean proven players, not blondell trash who cant even hit the net when on a breakaway ) , if not i hope people of vancouver boycott the team, all that money wasted on nothing would be sad ...as i said before i have no faith in bob 

They'll get a couple 'gems' from South America, and a couple depth mids from random MLS teams.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

For Davies, I'm hoping he made the right decision and didn't reach too early to high with this transfer. For Bayern I'm hoping otherwise. :ph34r:

did he have a choice?

I thought teams could sell contracts/players if they chose to?

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

did he have a choice?

I thought teams could sell contracts/players if they chose to?

I'm pretty sure he did. The transfer system in European football is quite a bit different than in US sports. Players do have the choice where to go. Teams can't force a player to transfer to a specific team, even if it's the highest bidder.

I think that would be the case for transfers out of the MLS to Europe as well.

Edited by Lateralus91

3 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

For Davies, I'm hoping he made the right decision and didn't reach too early to high with this transfer. For Bayern I'm hoping otherwise. :ph34r:

FC Bayern will teach him well, have no worry :) , alot of these top euro teams love youth players, cause than they can train em there system when they young so when they actually make the team, they already have the basics 

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

They'll get a couple 'gems' from South America, and a couple depth mids from random MLS teams.

hope so, and i hope they get players that actually score :), our biggest issue this year has been goals and letting in alot of goals ..think we the highest goals against of all mls teams

Those of you thinking that the Caps will go out and spend big money on a couple of stars haven't been paying attention.

Caps have consistently stated what their business model is, and that is developing and selling young talent. I highly doubt this ownership group will change what they're doing as they have a good gig going here selling out games with a middling team who's won one playoff game in eight years. 

Also people are forgetting that stars will not come to Vancouver to play because of the artificial turf and the travel. Most of those players will likely have better options.

I expect the same old same old from this organization. Pay young unknown players from South America and hope the odd one develops into a star.  I don't have any confidence in Robbo finding better players or Lenarduzzi finding a better coach but I understand that both guys' hands are tied by the ownership mandate so it doesn't really matter anyway.

• Upvote 1

Yup, so basically all that money will be wasted in the bank and in the owners pockets, awesome for davies, sucks for us whitecap fans :( .... why i dont care to much about the whitecaps anymore till they change the way they look at there team and hows it should be runned ...we will never compete with the top teams till this happens.

atleast the bc lions care enough about there team and added a body that actually will help there team, as for whitecaps we stuck with idiots like blondell, aly ghazal and so on....

On 2018-07-24 at 9:47 PM, apollo said:

You would think they would use that money and acquire someone good? 

Man I wish aquilinis were our owners for whitecaps too. They would throw top dollar and get us a couple stars like Torontos team. 

Maybe an Italian stallion like Mario Balotelli?

Interesting article over at the MLS website about Alphonso and his transfer to Bayern:

"Bayern are signing Davies for his potential, not his present ability. Davies is good, but he’s not Bayern good, yet. Bayern starts guys that are top-20 in the world at their positions. Davies has shown he might be able to get to that level, but he still needs to bridge the potential to the Bayern good gap."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/25/warshaw-what-alphonso-davies-needs-do-succeed-bayern-munich?utm_source=TWIMEmail&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=07262018

Like the new Bayern kit, better than the last one. But we won't see any rewards from all that transfer money right away, we're still full on on contracts and will have to move some out to find room for more effective players coming in. Was trying to find the tweet with Robinson's quote on that...

I've been contemplating whitecaps season tix for a couple years now. Every year I go to 4 or 5 games a season buying $15 tickets on StubHub and want to wait to see ownership make legitimate moves to push the team forwards. 

Again last night was a great game to be at and well worth the $16USD I paid on stubhub.

But hearing the interviews with ownership about how the Davies money will be reinvested into the academy and develop lead me to the conclusion I will just continue buying under 20$ tickets a few times a season. If you can't commit to bring some legitimate, proven players (I'm not even talking prime time names like Rooney or Ibra) instead of a bunch of south American question marks, I'm not gonna commit my dollars and time to season tickets. 

On a side note, the last 2 home games I've been to Davies has combined for 3 goals and 4 assists... Man this team is gonna be boooooring next year unless new ownership comes in and looses the purse strings 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Davies is like McJesus on the pitch.  Hoping he can help our National squad climb the ranks.

he is really finding his stride now

has a better confidence level in the last few games

he is prepared to take on more players

and with his deft in close ball control

makes so many opponents look silly

his calmness on the ball under pressure is world class

he'll draw a lot of extra defensive attention now

his team mates need to step up and use the extra space and time they all will now be given

reyna and kamara should benefit

but the midfield really needs to step up as well

and provide some finishing

• Upvote 1