The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well it didn't take long for this new, new, new rebuild to look worse than previous teams. 

Whitecaps need to clean house. 

Bring in people who know how to win championships in the MLS. And better still invest some damn money in the team and bring in some players that will not only draw fans.

But help the team win games. 

I'm actually worried because it looks like MLS is following in the footsteps of NASL. Expanding too fast while most of the teams are losing money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/11/14/mls-most-valuable-teams-2018/#7518412ee999

fire every body from the coach to the president

• Cheers 1

On 7/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, Squamfan said:

fire every body from the coach to the president

That isn't going to change anything.  We need the Aquilini's to buy the Whitecaps and actually spend some money on the team.  Don't we have one of the lowest payrolls in the league?  It's like we are soccer's version of the Yotes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That isn't going to change anything.  We need the Aquilini's to buy the Whitecaps and actually spend some money on the team.  Don't we have one of the lowest payrolls in the league?  It's like we are soccer's version of the Yotes.

Ownership consists of:

Kerfoot, Luczo, Mallett, and Steve Nash. Combined net worth is over $2 billion. It's not like they don't have the resources. 

Between Ownership and Management something is seriously wrong. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ownership consists of:

Kerfoot, Luczo, Mallett, and Steve Nash. Combined net worth is over $2 billion. It's not like they don't have the resources. 

Yeah didn’t they get a TON of money on the transfer fees regarding Davies?   I fail to see where the money went.  It certainly didn’t go on the field.  Their pockets?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, rychicken said:

they QUIT last night. Talent or no talent, you don't quit like that....some of this is on the players...

Who put the players on the field?  And you get what you pay for.   Don’t expect the best & latest fashions when shopping at Value Village (though I have gotten some good items there on occasion).

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who put the players on the field?  And you get what you pay for.   Don’t expect the best & latest fashions when shopping at Value Village (though I have gotten some good items there on occasion).

Sure management and ownership are to blame as well, but those players last night QUIT - I don't care if we fielded a group of 6 year olds - keep running, work for the ball, and hustle on both sides of the ball.....

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ownership consists of:

Just compared to other owners of the league... where some owners individually have like $5-20 billion each... the Whitecaps ownership group are the relatively poor.  

I do remember one of the press conferences (I think it was Robbo) that the goal of the Caps was to develop and to sell players.  It kinda sounded like winning is secondary to making money.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Just compared to other owners of the league... where some owners individually have like $5-20 billion each... the Whitecaps ownership group are the relatively poor.  

I do remember one of the press conferences (I think it was Robbo) that the goal of the Caps was to develop and to sell players.  It kinda sounded like winning is secondary to making money.  

Heard on guy on 650 this morning say the same about the Caps owners wanting to make money more than win.  The team has a solid group of loyal fans and make a profit.  Or at least that’s what this guy said.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The Ottawa Senators (actually its worse) of the MLS.

Have they reinvested the Davies money into the team yet... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

They reinvested the Davis money......just not *into the team* but their own pockets.

They're only interested in lining their own wallets and seem to want to suck every dime of whatever fanbase they have left.

The Aquini's. whatever one may feel about them (good or bad), have ALWAYS never failed to put money back into the team (and then some).  Until the Whitecaps get ownership like the Aquilini's, team is but an insult to the memory of the old Whitecaps.  I have no idea who Whitecaps FC is.  Worse than a pale imitation of years gone by.  A total disgrace.

• Upvote 1

This should be no surprise to people. I mean given the turnover of players and staff in the offseason. 

It's been a skeleton management staff that run a frugal operation on behalf of their wealthy owners' investment.  Nothing wrong with that, except when that becomes the entire mission of this team. Has been for years. All those slogans painted on walls in the dressing rooms, all the talk of building through the academy...all crap. Is there any team in MLS that has brought fewer academy players through to the big team?  

Going back to the Camillo fiasco tells you all you need to know about how this organization has been run. Throw in a general lack of sustained success over 10 years, a bottom of the league payroll, the way they handled the woman's soccer team issues, lack of a Director of Scouting...just the overall vibe of the team hasn't sat well with me since Camillo left. 

Sadly, I don't have high hopes for this team going forward with this ownership group. And I really like MDS and what he's trying to do. He's convinced this ownership to hire a chief scout, who's sole role will be to scour the world for players. Good first step. What a novel idea for a professional soccer team whose shallow marketing slogan has been:

Our All. Our Honour.

Makes me sick every time I hear or see it.

I hope MDS is given the time to do what needs to be done, but ultimately I don't have much faith in this team given he has to work within the same structure that Robbo and others have had to deal with. Same ownership. Same management. Same middling results. Sigh.

Rant over.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 2