The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Huge game by Hungary against the French!! Huge domination in the first half by the french, they got complacent and Hungary striked in extra time... France looked much more deadly in the 2nd half and scored off a bad play by the hungarian defense and tied it... \

The Mbappe Benzema Griezmann trio have been lacking offensively, Giroud needs a start alongside Griezmann and one of Benzema or Mbappé... they are doing too much but aren't putting sufficient pressure on opposing team's central defense... Expect a much more determined french squad wednesday against Portugal (and hopefully a couple tweaks in the lineup), and a fired up Hungarian squad who could potentially qualify with a win over Germany!!!

Honestly, so much respect for the Hungarian team, they played their hearts out. However, i'm ashamed of their fanbase for throwing bottles all over the pitch in the last 10 minutes. Classless. 

Apparently in Hungary Covid doesn't exist either packed house no masks!

I personally feel like Benzema is throwing off the chemistry Griezeman links better as that false 9 when he is around to roam a bit and Giroud has that aerial presence at center forward with Mbappe and his speed bombing down the flank.

• Cheers 2

Italy beats Wales 1-nil, but from what I can tell, the Welsh advance on goal differential....someone can correct me if I've gotten that wrong.

Also, before the tournament started, I heard several "don't sleep on Turkey" predictions.....those didn't work out so well....:lol:

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Italy beats Wales 1-nil, but from what I can tell, the Welsh advance on goal differential....someone can correct me if I've gotten that wrong.

Also, before the tournament started, I heard several "don't sleep on Turkey" predictions.....those didn't work out so well....:lol:

The welsh advance as a 2nd seed because their +1 differential is better than switzerland's -1. Switzerland has a high chance of being one of the top 4 3rd places that qualify for the round of 16, seeing as how Portugal qualified last tournament with only 3 points (3 draws)

• Cheers 1

I just noticed how lopsided one side of the bracket is lol. The winner of Germany vs England has a good chance to get to the finals, whereas the other side has all the other top teams. 

England better take advantage of this opportunity. I'd love to say Germany can do it, but the team is just...weak.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

I just noticed how lopsided one side of the bracket is lol. The winner of Germany vs England has a good chance to get to the finals, whereas the other side has all the other top teams. 

England better take advantage of this opportunity. I'd love to say Germany can do it, but the team is just...weak.

Tbh that’s the way the draw fell, initial view had it the other way, consensus was that Spain would top their group making it the hardest route through for the winners of England’s group. However Sweden upset that balance and the way the 3rd place teams fell works out kindly for the winners of that next game 

21 hours ago, c00kies said:

As someone who's cheering for the Netherlands, I take umbrage at that remark....B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As someone who's cheering for the Netherlands, I take umbrage at that remark....B)

Haha, they are a darkhorse too. Like Belgium, I always expect them to do much better than they actually do :P 

I find this hilarious... ultra nationalistic? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9723485/England-fans-face-match-bans-sing-disrespectful-Ten-German-Bombers-song.html

Umm yeah ok, the country that exterminated 9 million people? I think they deserve to be reminded every now and again that they got what was coming to them. Nevermind that the song isn't about what was happening in Germany, it was about stopping the Luftwaffe from bombing British cities to oblivion in the Battle of Britain. 

We have moved on from those times Southgate? LOL what? 

On 6/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, c00kies said:

I still like England beating Germany would be an upset even though they have a squad mixed with young players now.

I don't understand why Southgate has been so reluctant to start Jadon Sancho even though he is the second best rated young player in the world next to his teammate Earling Haland.

Germany doesn't struggle to score most times in major tournaments.

The England clean sheet run is going to come to an end just a matter of if they concede more than once.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty disastrous result for the French....

....that being said, I'm watching the replay right now and after the Pogba goal that made it 3-1, they just started coasting and couldn't seem to turn it back on...

Very disappointing to say the least. Injuries forced France into a 3-4-2-1 that is definitely not the suitable formation for that squad. They made the proper adjustments, gained a comfortable lead, and then lacked the desire that the Swiss team had. They'll be back stronger than ever in 2022, I have no worries about that. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:02 PM, canuckster19 said:

The winner of England-Germany has a pretty easy path to the finals now... in theory.

serious?

winner of England - Germany would face the winner of Ukraine - Sweden which is doable for both, BUT ! in the semi - final I expect that Spain will be the team to beat and this would be for both Germany and England a massive roadblock.