The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Very disappointing to say the least. Injuries forced France into a 3-4-2-1 that is definitely not the suitable formation for that squad. They made the proper adjustments, gained a comfortable lead, and then lacked the desire that the Swiss team had. They'll be back stronger than ever in 2022, I have no worries about that. 

I feel much the same about the Netherlands....

Several missed opportunities to score in the first half (chances they were converting in the Group stage) and then the entire match turns on a slip from de Ligt....a slip that doesn't happen, if Donyell Malen is able to convert on a one on one with the Czech keeper, just seconds before.....<_<

Jumping on the England bandwagon for now, but I'll also be cheering for the Danes.....that being said, if Belgium can knock off the Italians, I'll be happy with whomever comes out on top....

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

serious?

winner of England - Germany would face the winner of Ukraine - Sweden which is doable for both, BUT ! in the semi - final I expect that Spain will be the team to beat and this would be for both Germany and England a massive roadblock.

They can't face Spain until the finals....

The winner between Germany and England will likely face the Swedes.....the winner of that match get the winner of Denmark - Czech Republic in the semis. Meanwhile, the other side of the draw has Belgium, Italy, Spain and the team who just knocked off France....

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Poor defending by Germany and Müller with the miss were huge...

England were better all game, while Germany looked like they couldn't be bothered. 

Edited by c00kies

On 6/27/2021 at 6:53 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I still like England beating Germany would be an upset even though they have a squad mixed with young players now.

I don't understand why Southgate has been so reluctant to start Jadon Sancho even though he is the second best rated young player in the world next to his teammate Earling Haland.

Germany doesn't struggle to score most times in major tournaments.

The England clean sheet run is going to come to an end just a matter of if they concede more than once.

This aged well

5 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

That stadium is like an EDL rally. Scum the lot of them.

Someone do the world a favour and knock them out.

Maybe you should go back to HF where you were complaining about the looks of the English crowd.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Better to be labeled a HF sycophant than an immigrant hating, right wing gammon that resorts to posting 10 German bombers when his big team wins.

Oooh, that the best you got... tell me more, tell me more.

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Spoke too soon....England gets Ukraine, who knocked off the Swedes in extra time.

Didn't get to watch, but it sounds like the Swedes had a player sent off....

Sweden was the better team up until the red card, hit the post and crossbar… unfortunate.

3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Sweden was the better team up until the red card, hit the post and crossbar… unfortunate.

That was the impression I got from watching the replay....

Forsberg got a bit of a break on his goal, but he was pretty unlucky from that point on....

5 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

I wouldn’t say they were the better team, fairly cagey game and no real penetration by either side. Ukraine were happy to sit back and let Sweden play in front of them and Sweden didn’t really trouble the back line that much 

I'm cheering for England now that France is out. I'm curious though as to why Southgate isn't starting Sancho. Sure, Saka and Grealish are doing a splendid job but Sancho is a playmaker and can make things happen whenever he's out on the pitch. Oh well. Sterling and Kane have been well. Excited to see how deep this team can go

Edit: also, Sancho is a Red Devil. I've been waiting for it to happen for a while and it has finally been confirmed

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Thanks 1