The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks Sign Alexandre Mallet

UFCanuck

yes I got his team wrong, sorry for not following the frenchie league closely, my point still stands he only did well because he was more physically developed than his competition

Haters gonna hate. Until you hold a public position managing an NHL club, or strap on a pair of skates and play with these guys I'd suggest you scale back your opinions. Stop stating speculation as fact, it makes you look like a turbodouche and only provides entertainment.

That being said, I like what Gillis is doing, our prospect pool is looking as follows (in no particular order): Schroeder, Rodin, Jensen,Kassian,Grenier, Labate, Mallet, Gaunce, Archibald, Duco, Sweatt, Rai, Connauton, McNally, Tanev, Sauve, Corrado, Lack, Cannata.

That's a good mix of size, skill, grit and caliber of players able to fill all roles needed on a roster. We might not have the flashiest or most impressive prospect pool and certainly some may never play in the NHL full time (Duco, Rai, McNally, Rodin, Grenier, Labate) but they at least will push internally and make the ones that do hit the NHL much better. Perhaps with proper development they all play a role in the NHL.

you and many others on here agree with you, even though I and everyone on here had the exact same amount of gm'ing experience before he got hired

former NHL player and NHL AGENT, who's business depended on identifying talent at a young age, know's WAY more about what to look for in players that might translate into future NHL success.

I question this pick too.

A previously undrafted (passed over) player playing in the Q that is producing good amount of points (as an overager mind you) doesn't seem worthy of a 2nd round pick.

There's no denying that Gaunce was a great pick. Mallet? Seems like ea significant dropoff, but that is probably because we did not have third and fourth round picks.

However, Mallet seems to be a 'character' pick. He's tough but I really don't know how he'll do in the NHL. If he turns out to be SIMILAR to Burrows, this pick would definitely be worth it. He seems to be a nice humble cheerful guy though which is a PLUS. I can understand why Gillis made this pick.

I question this pick too.

A previously undrafted (passed over) player playing in the Q that is producing good amount of points (as an overager mind you) doesn't seem worthy of a 2nd round pick.

There's no denying that Gaunce was a great pick. Mallet? Seems like ea significant dropoff, but that is probably because we did not have third and fourth round picks.

However, Mallet seems to be a 'character' pick. He's tough but I really don't know how he'll do in the NHL. If he turns out to be SIMILAR to Burrows, this pick would definitely be worth it. He seems to be a nice humble cheerful guy though which is a PLUS. I can understand why Gillis made this pick.

19 year olds are not overagers....

Considering most people in the draft are 18 when eligible and the fact that he was already passed over once in the draft, is he not an overager in the Q?

until you are 20 before dec 31, you are not an overager in any CHL league. he was merely an undrafted 19 year old. Hodgson wasn't an overager when he went back to Brampton after his draft year either.

you don't think an athelete at a high level, taking in scouting reports could do better than 1 nhl'er in 4 drafts?

so could a monkey picking randomly or a guy just using other available scouting reports... so what's your point?

Considering most people in the draft are 18 when eligible and the fact that he was already passed over once in the draft, is he not an overager in the Q?

3.02 TWENTY YEAR-OLD PLAYERS

a) Each team of the League can register and play with three 20 year-old players or players who will have turned 20 by December 31st of the current year, as long as their names were registered on the eligibility list of the team on February 10th of the previous season, except for one of those player whose name could not have been inscribed on that admissibility list.

B) No 20 year-old player shall be traded or transferred to another team of the League as of the date set by the League.

c) Twenty year-old players shall sign major junior registration certificates. Twenty year-old players shall not be used as affiliated players even though said players have been waived.

d) A twenty year-old player shall not replace another one under a suspension as long as the suspension is not expired, even though said player has been released by his club.

e) A 20 year-old playing hockey in a professional organization or elsewhere may not play in the QMJHL. However, any player discussed herein may qualify by signing a major junior registration certificate with a team before noon on January 10th and shall participate in at least one regular game of the League within 10 days following his registration with the team; also, he shall not be

permitted to play after in another League.

f) Should a club sign a major junior certificate with a fourth 20 year-old player on February 10th, this team shall release one of its three 20 year-old players signed major junior. Subsequently, a special draft session shall be held in order to enable this 20 year-old player to play with another QMJHL team. The special selection order shall be determined by reversing the order of the teams general standings as at February 9th.

g) All 20 year-old player who wants to evolve with a QMJHL team must obtain his release from the team which he was registered this year and must obtain his transfer (if necessary) as mentioned in the HC regulations for the transfers, before January 10th at noon.

http://theqmjhl.ca/uploads/assets/QMJHL_EN_SITE/Politiques/Eng%20-%20Regulations%202011%20-%202012%20Teams_20110915.pdf

Page 15.

yes I got his team wrong, sorry for not following the frenchie league closely, my point still stands he only did well because he was more physically developed than his competition

based on being a current college athlete who watches a solid amount of hockey

I guess every collegate athlete (not even a hockey player I'm guessing since you didn't specify and your picture has a lacross stick) and/or dude that watches hockey every Saturday double-header on HNIC and Wednesday night hockey on TSN has the credentials to be a pro GM or scout. You admitted yourself that you don't follow the Q, so how much more do you follow the NCAA or European leauges?

You may not like the pick, not everyone has to. But to actually proclaim that you can do a job better than someone who's been involved in the leauge as an agent, etc, with absolutely NOTHING on your own resume is BS. You're no more credible than HockeyyInsidrr. Drink your beer, watch your hockey but please, for the love of GOD, stay out of the Canucks' front office. There are too many underqualified "experts" out there already.

when you compare mallet's season with other 19 year olds in the CHL he is very comparable to a late first early second round pick in the 2010 draft. (the year the canucks didnt have a pick traded to florida).

All gillis has done here is pickup a player on a faster trajectory for the pro game to replace the loss of that draft pick who has progressed at a reasonable rate in comparison to those players from his draft year.

C

ant compare apples & oranges people look at the real numbers and you start to see the reasoning behind this pick.

until you are 20 before dec 31, you are not an overager in any CHL league. he was merely an undrafted 19 year old. Hodgson wasn't an overager when he went back to Brampton after his draft year either.

Ah.

Well, I guess he was almost an overager, but not really :bigblush:

Still, I thought this was an off-the-board pick. This guy wasn't ranked or had any mid-term ranking. What I would really want to know is if Gillis tried to play with the 2nd round pick to get multiple lower round picks... maybe he didn't.

Archived