The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Some of us don't need another reason to hate the Pats. B)

And I agree. Ball-gate is much ado about nothing.

For some reason “The lead with Jake Tapper” was just on my tv. Some old lady said that every NFL player that she’s spoken too just laughs when they hear it. Much ado about nothing is teh understatementz. Glad you agree though. Doug Williams from Washington said it happens all the time.

“But it’s cheating!!!!”

Keeeeeeep hating. Hope this whole thing getting blown out of proportion fires up the Pats.

Edited by The Magician

They should get disciplined for deliberately breaking the rules after the refs have inspected and stamped the footballs. Underinflated balls are easier to grip and less likely to be fumbled.

You can't have teams going around doctoring footballs to gain an advantage. Next thing you know they'll be buttering up their kickoff footballs.

B751WA1CQAAPHDw.png

Edited by M A K A V E L I 96

They should get disciplined for deliberately breaking the rules after the refs have inspected and stamped the footballs. Underinflated balls are easier to grip and less likely to be fumbled.

You can't have teams going around doctoring footballs to gain an advantage. Next thing you know they'll be buttering up their kickoff footballs.

If it's revealed that it was someone on the NE staff who was instructed to deflate the balls after they were okay'd by the refs, then I fully agree. Other NFL head coaches have said they believe it should be a late draft pick due to the regularity of something like this happening on all sidelines. I personally would expect nothing short of a 100k fine and loss of a draft pick.

What the NFL is spending today and tomorrow and maybe longer on is the most important question of how they became deflated.

Lol anybody catch First Take today?

Stephen A. suggests if Belichick is the one who gave the order to deflate the balls he should be given the Sean Payton treatment and be suspended for a year :shock:

That is probably the biggest over reaction I've seen since this story came out.

I for one just can't wait for the story to go away, give em' a fine or take away a pick if need be, but before the games everybody was talking about how the Pats v Seahawks would be the best possible outcome and it happened. Now all everybody is talking about is how a football was like 15% underinflated for 3 days now :picard:

For The Win ‏@ForTheWin 6h

Colts TE on #deflategate: 'They could have played with soap for balls and beat us’ http://usat.ly/1xXMzha

:lol:

Apparently the balls were all inflated at halftime by the refs (New England went 28-0 in the second half). If anything it would have helped D’Qwell Jackson with that pick in the second quarter LOL.

Edited by The Magician
  • Upvote 3

Lol anybody catch First Take today?

Stephen A. suggests if Belichick is the one who gave the order to deflate the balls he should be given the Sean Payton treatment and be suspended for a year :shock:

That is probably the biggest over reaction I've seen since this story came out.

I for one just can't wait for the story to go away, give em' a fine or take away a pick if need be, but before the games everybody was talking about how the Pats v Seahawks would be the best possible outcome and it happened. Now all everybody is talking about is how a football was like 15% underinflated for 3 days now :picard:

Yeah, that's a bit excessive. Slap him on the wrist and tell him he can't wear hoodies for all of next season...

That'll learn 'im...

Interesting comments by Harrison that this whole thing hurts the Seahawks more than the Patriots because it's giving the players of the Patriots the same us against the world, people doubt our abilities mindset that the Seahawks had last year when many predicted Peyton would roll over them.

Never thought about it like that. Could be true. Could also have no effect.

Breaking fake news: officials say Marshawn Lynch investigated for trying to inflate his own balls which explains all the crotch grabbing.

I agree, except that after the trouncing the Pats just applied to the Colts I can't imagine them being any more fired up than they must already be. I guess 2 weeks off could have a feeling of reduced momentum.

Seattle is lucky to be in the Superbowl, obviously. Soooo many things happened that would never occur in a regular season game, let alone a playoff game against the Packers. They need to get their act together against a team that isn't going to mess about with safeties to start the game. A typical (this season anyways) slow start to the first half would be playing with fire NE.

If Seattle can't stop Blount and the run, if Gronk out-beasts Lynch, if Wilson plays the same as he did against Green Bay, then as a Seahawks fan I'll be watching them lose.

Yeah, it'll sting a little, I mean it's the cheating Patriots ;). No-one in their right mind is going to be giving the edge to Seattle this time around either. The defense could win the game, but betting on that would be stupid too.

Seattle is going to have to step up their game to the Pats level.

Is it next Sunday yet?

For The Win ‏@ForTheWin 6h

Colts TE on #deflategate: 'They could have played with soap for balls and beat us’ http://usat.ly/1xXMzha

:lol:

Apparently the balls were all inflated at halftime by the refs (New England went 28-0 in the second half). If anything it would have helped D’Qwell Jackson with that pick in the second quarter LOL.

^^^^ times 100

LOL at all the haterz. Their philosophy "Pats won, must have cheated."

What a joke.

Go Pats GO!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/dont-worry-about-deflategate-and-the-patriots-and-bill-belichick-or-tom-brady/

This is the part where one lowly football writer says, "No more." This is the time when sportsnet.ca's NFL editor rises up against the tyranny of Hot Takes on the reports that the New England Patriots were caught using deflated balls during the AFC Championship game and screams from the digital rooftops, "Who cares?"

This is the rant you send to whomever you know who has worked themselves into a lather over what essentially amounts to missing air.

Chill out. It changes nothing.

You might be a Patriots hater, and upset that this team is able to seemingly bend the rules and keep itself atop of the NFL heap through sheer trickery. You might be a Patriots fan, angry that your coach has once again allegedly overshadowed his teams superlative on-field play with his sinister skullduggery.

You might be just a poor, tired, beleaguered football fan, who has spent a full season now literally from beginning to (almost) end talking about off-field scandal and front-office sideshows instead of the game that you love.

You might just be a columnist somewhere who is grateful for the story to fill space in an often boring week before the week before the Super Bowl.

If you are any of these people, I empathize and understand. But also, it doesn't matter. The #DeflateGate Scandal, as it has been dubbed, did not change the outcome of an important game in any perceptible way, nor does it tell you anything about any party involved that you did not already know.

Was every football inflated to the exact same degree, would the Colts have won the AFC Championship? Lets let Colts TE Dwayne Allen answer that one himself. Take it away, Dwayne

Yep. That's about right.

Did it take this scandal to convince you that Bill Belichick was an evil genius who would stoop to whatever degree he thought necessary to secure a win?

It probably shouldn't have, since that's happened before and not just with Spygate, the last Patriots "-gate" that proved the levels to which he would descend if he deemed it possible. Belichick also routinely lists, like, half of his players on the injury report every week, and makes a mockery of the local media's attempt to get him to tell the truth about his team.

Again, none of these things are illegal, at all except by NFL rules they just illustrate the character of a man who has a singular focus: Achieving victory for the New England Patriots. Everything else the normal standards of football decency, character questions, NFL protocol is secondary.

So yeah, no shocker.

Did it also take this scandal and the fine and draft pick penalty likely to be handed out if the NFL concludes the Patriots cheated to convince you that Roger Goodell is reacting far more than acting? That he is a man desperately trying to maintain some semblance of order as he governs a league that seems to sprout two fires for every one he somehow manages to extinguish? Had you completely forgotten the events of, oh, about four months ago?

Did it also shock you that fans of a team will find ways to excuse their misdeeds? Or that fans of teams who have lost to that team will find ways to disparage or even disqualify their victories?

Really? It did? Then you must also be shocked to have learned, like, a few days ago, that football causes concussions. Welcome to 2015. Happy new year.

It's the ultimate tempest in a teapot. A seemingly big story with very little real impact that occurs in eye of the sports worlds biggest media hurricane.

The bottom line here is context. In the context of the larger and much more serious issues the league as a whole has faced this year; in the context of Belichick's lengthy history of doing anything within his power to get the all-important 'W'; in context of Goodells failure to enforce a consistent level of discipline; and in, most importantly, the overall context of the actual game on the field, which ended 45-to-freaking-7who cares?

So why write this story? Because some people need to let things go. Because sometimes the sports world needs a cold take.

• Upvote 1

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/deflategate-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-sage-rosenfels-on-doctoring-footballs-012115?cmpid=tsmfb%3Afscom%3Afoxsports

Sage Rosenfels isn't shocked that an NFL team would doctor a football.

However, the long-time NFL quarterback told FOX Sports that he's surprised a team featuring a strong-armed passer like Tom Brady would be involved in what has become another major NFL scandal.

The Patriots are under investigation for allegedly using deflated footballs during last Sunday's AFC championship game win over Indianapolis. ESPN reported that 11 of the 12 pigskins used by New England in that 45-7 rout were found as being "inflated significantly below the NFL's requirement."

An NFL spokesman said the league is still conducting its investigation into the matter. If found guilty, the Patriots would face NFL penalties that could include a fine and loss of draft picks depending upon how egregious the infraction is ruled.

Rosenfels said there are advantages an under-inflated football could give a quarterback in blustery weather like that in which last Sunday's game was played at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts.

"Especially in cold and rainy conditions it can help quarterbacks grip the ball a little bit better," Rosenfels told FOX Sports in a Wednesday morning telephone interview. "The more aerodynamic and torpedo-like the ball is, the easier it cuts through the wind."

Rosenfels, though, doesn't believe Brady would need that type of boost to excel under those circumstances.

"If there are bad weather conditions like snow or rain, he's one of the few guys where it really doesn't matter," said Rosenfels, who played with five different teams between 2001 and 2012 before retiring.

"Quarterbacks say there are certain guys who can really spin it and throw a wet sock 30 yards. Tom is one of those guys. You put the ball in his hand and it almost always comes out a spiral while guys like Peyton (Manning) struggle in bad weather when they don't spin it as well.

"That's why this doesn't make sense as far as Brady is concerned."

During his stops with Washington, Miami, Houston, Minnesota and the New York Giants, Rosenfels said he never was part of a team that deflated footballs. NFL officials are presented footballs by the home team. They choose 12 for in-game use 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff after checking to insure the air pressure registers between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI. The footballs are marked by pen or with a stamp and returned to the ball attendants.

The NFL's game operation manual states that "once the balls have left the locker room, no one, including players, equipment managers, ball boys, and coaches, is allowed to alter the footballs in any way. If any individual alters the footballs, or if a non-approved ball is used in the game, the person responsible and, if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000."

Besides checking for air pressure, the official also is responsible for what FOX Sports rules analyst Mike Pereira said was "making sure the ball retains the property of a new or nearly new ball."

"You can't put a football in there that has been played with for five weeks and is all scuffed up," said Pereira, the former NFL head of officiating. "Those are more likely to get thrown out."

But that doesn't mean the footballs are brand new when on the field of play. Not even close.

"A couple of different teams -- and a lot do it now, they tell me -- would get brown dirt that actually came from a Major League Baseball (distributor)," Rosenfels said. "They would buy it in what was almost like a little moisture cup for $25. The equipment guy would rub some of the dirt onto the ball as well as put it in the steam room to work them in."

Rosenfels said such altering actually benefits the game itself because unworn footballs are difficult for players to handle.

"The balls are definitely doctored now but they're doctored because it helps the game," Rosenfels said. "I don't think you'd see one-handed catches and those types of things and you'd see more fumbles if the balls are not worked in because they're very slick coming out of the box."

Pereira said the NFL had different game-day approaches to footballs in the past from using just one in prior Super Bowls to 120 in a single contest.

"For a long time you would switch balls every play so you get all 120 used for commercial purposes," Pereira said. "This way, the NFL could have them for promotional things or whatever it might be."

The rule changed in 2006. Brady and Manning successfully lobbied the NFL's competition committee about the quality of footballs being used and the negative effect it was having on quarterbacking, particularly when it came to grip. Pereira said the league agreed to let the home team "prepare the footballs themselves by rubbing them and getting them to the way they like them."

While a gauge is used to test pressure, Pereira admits the officials "don't necessarily squeeze the footballs." That could help explain why the deflated footballs weren't detected by referee Walt Anderson's crew.

"These aren't guys who are going to the produce market and squeeze cantaloupes," Pereira said. "They're not in tune with that and they don't throw 60-yard passes.

"Could the official detect a two-pound (pressure) difference just by holding it? I doubt it, especially when you're not even thinking about that unless one comes in so soft. I doubt that would be case with two pounds."

After this debacle, there's no doubt the NFL will reevaluate how game-day footballs are handled.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12201369&src=desktop

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers says NFL referees take air out of footballs to be used in games, and he doesn't think it should happen.

In fact, the Green Bay Packers quarterback believes there should be a minimum air pressure and no limit to how much game balls are inflated. This comes after reports that the New England Patriots purposely deflated footballs used in Sunday's AFC Championship Game victory over the Indianapolis Colts, a charge the NFL is investigating. It also came before the NFL found that all but one of the Patriots game balls were inflated significantly less than the NFL requires, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"I have a major problem with the way it goes down, to be honest with you," Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show. "The majority of the time, they take air out of the football. I think that, for me, is a disadvantage."

Rodgers said he likes the ball to be inflated because of his strong grip pressure and large hand size but doesn't believe that's the norm.

"The majority of quarterbacks, I would say more than half, are maybe on the other end of the spectrum and like it on the flatter side," he said on his show. "My belief is that there should be a minimum air-pressure requirement but not a maximum. There's no advantage, in my opinion -- we're not kicking the football -- there's no advantage in having a pumped-up football.

"There is, if you don't have strong grip pressure or smaller hands, an advantage to having a flat football, though, because that is easier to throw. So I think that is something they need to look at. There should be a minimum on the air pressure but not a maximum. Every game they're taking air out of the footballs I'm throwing, and I think that's a disadvantage for the way that I like them prepped."

Rodgers credited Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning for lobbying the league to allow game balls to be handled by players before the game. Rodgers said he and the team's equipment staff work together to pick balls they've either practiced with or used in previous games.

Before each game, officials take balls from each team and approve them for use. They are separate from the designated K-balls, used on special-teams plays, which cannot be manipulated.

"The majority of people don't like throwing brand-new footballs, and that's why the change was made and Peyton was big on helping all the quarterbacks out with that," Rodgers said. "But if they're going to let us prep them the way we want them, I don't believe they should be able to take air out of the footballs."

image_zpsd4809044.jpg

http://youtu.be/_FAT_pRqo3w

So the Pats scored 17 points in the first half with under inflated ball's and 28 points in the second half with properly inflated ball's? Phew am I glad someone found the problem /end rant.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™
  • Upvote 1