The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

5 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

The Edelman catch was the game changer imo and Pats just got better and better while the Falcons just went downhill from there other than Coleman TD which was early in the 3rd. Had he not made the catch, it would've been a much different outcome and Falcons might've had a shot. that's what no Super Bowl experience or very little does to a team like the Falcons. they deserved better but after that choke in the 2nd half, maybe Pats deserved to win it. 

After the 2 fluke catches in 2007 and 2011 for the Giants, and then that ridiculous fluke catch by Ricardo Lockett? 2 years ago .. it was nice to have one of those game changing, 1 in a million catches go our way for once.

58 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

After the 2 fluke catches in 2007 and 2011 for the Giants, and then that ridiculous fluke catch by Ricardo Lockett? 2 years ago .. it was nice to have one of those game changing, 1 in a million catches go our way for once.

It was Jermaine Kearse....Also I'm sorry but your team has won 5 superbowls, you can't say a thing went your way for once. 

I mean I just want to see my team play a playoff game. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Probably this has been answered already....

On the last play of the game, didn't the ball carrier has both his knees on the ground before reaching the line at the end-zone?

I was thinking that this may be a "skate-in-crease" moment for the NFL.  

Replays clearly show the ball carrier reached the goal  line before his knees touched the ground

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Yeah 5 Super Bowl wins and something goes your way for once... You forget about the tuck rule already?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

It was Jermaine Kearse....Also I'm sorry but your team has won 5 superbowls, you can't say a thing went your way for once. 

I mean I just want to see my team play a playoff game. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah 5 Super Bowl wins and something goes your way for once... You forget about the tuck rule already?

Was talking about fluke catches ...

Atlanta made a huge mistake when they choose to pass instead of running the ball when they were at the 23 yard line with less than 5 minutes left.   They were already at field goal range for a 40 yard attempt.  They didn't need to gain an inch and the lead would be 11 points or a 2 score lead with the field goal.

So they got sack, then a penalty.  So no FG, a punt.   I would not want the ball in the hands of Brady with time left.   As it turned out,  Brady had no trouble moving down the field to tie the game.

Also, what happened to Atlanta's defence?  They did a great job in the first 3 quarters stopping NE.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DonLever said:

Atlanta made a huge mistake when they choose to pass instead of running the ball when they were at the 23 yard line with less than 5 minutes left.   They were already at field goal range for a 40 yard attempt.  They didn't need to gain an inch and the lead would be 11 points or a 2 score lead with the field goal.

So they got sack, then a penalty.  So no FG, a punt.   I would not want the ball in the hands of Brady with time left.   As it turned out,  Brady had no trouble moving down the field to tie the game.

Also, what happened to Atlanta's defence?  They did a great job in the first 3 quarters stopping NE.

Defence buckled, as for running it makes sense in hindsight but Atlanta was moving the ball with the pass well most of the game. Still should have played safe imo the way NE was coming on, more for clock management than FG or no FG. 

26 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Yup, that's all on Kyle Shanahan. Called for a deep pass on 3rd and 1 which resulted in the Ryan fumble and then not running the ball to setup the field goal. Hell, on one of the plays when they were in field goal range they snapped the ball with like 15 seconds left on the play clock. Horrible calls and boneheaded game clock management.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I agree that Tyree's catch was a fluke (still the greatest play in SB history), Jermain Kearse's catch was incredible focus, Manningham's was a ridiculous catch were he showed crazy body control.

28-3 and snow ruins the reception on the satellite dish.  

Missed the rest of the game.

Divine intervention.

Got to watch the best part.  That dive - and then the look on Brady's face after that pick 6 = priceless.

Thing about early leads in football - when it's 28-3 you have to treat it like you need two more touchdowns. 

Kept checking in online and.... :sick:

Reminds me of the 1984 Grey Cup.  Hamilton got out to an early 17-0 lead and the guy I'd made a bet with phoned me, gloating and asking me if I wanted to pay the $20 now or later.   That one wound up 47-17 Winnipeg.  Seen so many comebacks over the years, enough to know that you never know.

Edited by oldnews

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

TBH, I thought the forced fumble and the sack+penalty that took the Falcons out of field goal range were bigger game changers.

The Edelman catch was ridiculous, but the way the Pats' offense was rolling, I have little doubt that they would have found a way, even without that catch.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I'm going to roughly estimate that until cable TV took the next step in the early 90's a person living on the west coast might have watched 5 games on TV if they didn't miss a single one from the 70's to the early 90's. They were consistently the worse team in the NFL so there was very little media exposure. No internet either. I seriously have no idea how you could possibly follow them back then. So watching like 5 games in 2 decades makes it pretty hard to believe. Why can't you guys just man up and admit you started to cheer for the Patriots when Tom Brady won that First super bowl. I have much more respect for a person who can at least admit they are a jumper rather then telling me they went into the underground to cheer for what would be the equivalent of the Cleveland browns today without TV or media exposure. 

Why don't you "man up" and admit you are wrong?

I bet you're just a Canucks bandwagoneer who started cheering during the cup run of 2011.  

Here's an idea - maybe you want to talk to my brother - one condition - you leave here and never return once he tells you where to go.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

28-3 and snow ruins the reception on the satellite dish.  

Missed the rest of the game.

Divine intervention.

Got to watch the best part.  That dive - and then the look on Brady's face after that pick 6 = priceless.

Thing about early leads in football - when it's 28-3 you have to treat it like you need two more touchdowns. 

Kept checking in online and.... :sick:

Reminds me of the 1984 Grey Cup.  Hamilton got out to an early 17-0 lead and the guy I'd made a bet with phoned me, gloating and asking me if I wanted to pay the $20 now or later.   That one wound up 47-17 Winnipeg.  Seen so many comebacks over the years, enough to know that you never know.

Yeah, only one 2 more times after that one, beat the Lions by 1 point ant their last one was a blow out of the Eskimos in 1990.

Course, LaBamba will say I wasn't a Bombers fan back then (even though I was born in Winterpeg).

Edited by Heretic

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

Gassed. One of the reporters had a stat last night that in the 4th quarter, there was 0 knock downs or hurry's on Brady or something like that. Whereas in the first half, we all saw how much pressure they had on Brady all night... and they wonder why they run wind sprints in training camp!:lol:

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I thought the forced fumble and the sack+penalty that took the Falcons out of field goal range were bigger game changers.

The Edelman catch was ridiculous, but the way the Pats' offense was rolling, I have little doubt that they would have found a way, even without that catch.

That was a huge play. Hightower is clutch in the playoffs. He was the one who tackled Lynch on the 2 yard line with a separated shoulder right before the Butler did it.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The OT coin flip was the biggest one IMHO - Pats had all the momentum and get the ball to start.

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

They kept rushing 4 and showing the same defensive looks. A great qb will always carve that shiz up

Edited by Jiggs50

I don't tend to agree with @LaBamba on his views about the Canucks, but I agree with him and the bandwagon comments here.

As someone in Ontario, there isn't a team everyone cheers for. However, every football fan I know in their 20's-30's cheers for the Patriots, and every fan 40+ goes for the Cowboys (with a couple exceptions who cheer for the Packers and Broncos). Quite the coincidence eh?

I simply don't get why people would cheer for the Pats other than for them being successful. Their logo screams "America", it would be like picking the Blue Jackets as your NHL team. If you like it, all the power to you, I just find it odd.

Yes I'll come across as being sour grapes, but that's fine. The worst part about the loss isn't even that it was a huge choke, but that I'll have to hear about it from all the "die hard" fans I know.

I have no idea how much this applies to CDC, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I'm going to roughly estimate that until cable TV took the next step in the early 90's a person living on the west coast might have watched 5 games on TV if they didn't miss a single one from the 70's to the early 90's. They were consistently the worse team in the NFL so there was very little media exposure. No internet either. I seriously have no idea how you could possibly follow them back then. So watching like 5 games in 2 decades makes it pretty hard to believe. Why can't you guys just man up and admit you started to cheer for the Patriots when Tom Brady won that First super bowl. I have much more respect for a person who can at least admit they are a jumper rather then telling me they went into the underground to cheer for what would be the equivalent of the Cleveland browns today without TV or media exposure. 

Monday night alone, the Patriots were on 18 televised games from 1970 - 1989.

:emot-parrot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Monday_Night_Football_results_(1970–89)

Oh, and you never asked me why I became a Patriots fan.

For CFL, both my brother and I started cheering for the teams from the cities we were born in, whilst our dad cheered for the Lions.

For the NFL, my dad was a Steelers fan and they were winning a lot back then with Bradshaw and my brother started cheering for the 49'ers...

I wasn't too sure who to cheer for until I saw the Patriots uniforms and I liked them. (yeah, silly reason, but I was 13 at the time).

• Upvote 1