The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

23 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don't tend to agree with @LaBamba on his views about the Canucks, but I agree with him and the bandwagon comments here.

As someone in Ontario, there isn't a team everyone cheers for. However, every football fan I know in their 20's-30's cheers for the Patriots, and every fan 40+ goes for the Cowboys (with a couple exceptions who cheer for the Packers and Broncos). Quite the coincidence eh?

I simply don't get why people would cheer for the Pats other than for them being successful. Their logo screams "America", it would be like picking the Blue Jackets as your NHL team. If you like it, all the power to you, I just find it odd.

Yes I'll come across as being sour grapes, but that's fine. The worst part about the loss isn't even that it was a huge choke, but that I'll have to hear about it from all the "die hard" fans I know.

I have no idea how much this applies to CDC, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Long time Bills fan here. Even though I've lived my entire life in B.C. I was a Jim Kelly fan when he was at Miami and I was one of the few who followed the USFL (as best I could) I liked the run and shoot and when Kelly went to the Bills I became a life long fan.

Before the Kelly years in Buffalo, I was a Raider fan (mostly because of Ken Stabler) but disowned them when Al Davis moved the team to LA.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don't tend to agree with @LaBamba on his views about the Canucks, but I agree with him and the bandwagon comments here.

As someone in Ontario, there isn't a team everyone cheers for. However, every football fan I know in their 20's-30's cheers for the Patriots, and every fan 40+ goes for the Cowboys (with a couple exceptions who cheer for the Packers and Broncos). Quite the coincidence eh?

I simply don't get why people would cheer for the Pats other than for them being successful. Their logo screams "America", it would be like picking the Blue Jackets as your NHL team. If you like it, all the power to you, I just find it odd.

Yes I'll come across as being sour grapes, but that's fine. The worst part about the loss isn't even that it was a huge choke, but that I'll have to hear about it from all the "die hard" fans I know.

I have no idea how much this applies to CDC, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

When I was a kid I cheered for the teams with the coolest logo. I was from Saskatchewan so I picked the Canucks because I got a Canucks starter pullover for Christmas and I cheered for the chargers because of the badass lightning bolt on their helmet. Bluejays because it was all that was on TV. Oregon ducks to piss off the southern Americans at work. All of these stuck with me ever since. Great point about the whole Patriotism infusion with NE. Another piece of evidence pointing toward blatant band wagon jumping. I don't really care why someone started cheering for a team, who am I to judge? However. When you puff your chest out because you decided to cheer for a team in the midst of a dynasty your argument holds little value in my eyes. 

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Long time Bills fan here. Even though I've lived my entire life in B.C. I was a Jim Kelly fan when he was at Miami and I was one of the few who followed the USFL (as best I could) I liked the run and shoot and when Kelly went to the Bills I became a life long fan.

Before the Kelly years in Buffalo, I was a Raider fan (mostly because of Ken Stabler) but disowned them when Al Davis moved the team to LA.

So the talking heads on sports radio were jawing about the odds of the Raiders moving to Vegas after the, what was it, 650 million dollars pulled out? They figure Vegas in 2018 is not happening since the deadline for those funds to be raised is the end of the month, and it's a fair chunk of change.

How awesome/ridiculous/perfect would it be if the Raiders moved to San Diego instead? I know it's a long shot, but a move like that would illustrate exactly how silly the league is sometimes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

And your post is the reason it feels so good to be a pats fan.  Everyone calls us out for being fans, everyone thought the game was over.  Pats won and here we are, in a thread discussing football.  I read all the hate directing at Brady and the rest of the team now I'm here playfully defending them.  That's what being a fan of sports is all about, yet you'll find a way to turn it into 'oh your the reason...'  whatever lol. 

To be fair, with competent coaching the Falcons win the game after going up by 11 points. Inexperienced coaching cost the Falcons just as much as, if not more than, the inexperienced players.

• Upvote 1

I loved Chad (Ochocinco) Johnson, Carson Palmer, TJ Houshmandzadeh etc., back in the early-mid 2000s. And my parents are Bengals fans too so that's all how I became one when I was old enough to understand the basics of football. 

Edited by Pears

3 hours ago, Pears said:

I loved Chad (Ochocinco) Johnson, Carson Palmer, TJ Houshmandzadeh etc., back in the early-mid 2000s. And my parents are Bengals fans too so that's all how I became one when I was old enough to understand the basics of football. 

But how many games a year do you watch? Need a year by year breakdown, which network, size of your tv. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I'm going to roughly estimate that until cable TV took the next step in the early 90's a person living on the west coast might have watched 5 games on TV if they didn't miss a single one from the 70's to the early 90's. They were consistently the worse team in the NFL so there was very little media exposure. No internet either. I seriously have no idea how you could possibly follow them back then. So watching like 5 games in 2 decades makes it pretty hard to believe. Why can't you guys just man up and admit you started to cheer for the Patriots when Tom Brady won that First super bowl. I have much more respect for a person who can at least admit they are a jumper rather then telling me they went into the underground to cheer for what would be the equivalent of the Cleveland browns today without TV or media exposure. 

You say that, but then you'll eventually hop back onto bashing why they like a certain team

6 hours ago, c00kies said:

To be fair, with competent coaching the Falcons win the game after going up by 11 points. Inexperienced coaching cost the Falcons just as much as, if not more than, the inexperienced players.

100% agree. And I hate to say it because I really like Dan Quinn as a coach and he sure knows how to put together a defense but it was a Dan Quinn choke job. His teams have a knack for becoming passive at the wrong time. We saw it in Seattle, we saw in the Super Bowl.

On a different note

It is cool seeing the human side of Bill Belichek. Though I despise the Pats, he is bar none the best coach in NFL history. I admire him so much.

Edited by ReggieBush
  • Upvote 1

Raider fan here since the days of Kenny Stabler and Cliff Branch. 

Congrats to the Pats on a job well done.

Props to Atlanta for a great effort. It was a terrific game to watch.

The only losers here are the pathetic whiners and snivlers.

My other teams are Detroit Tigers in MLB

and The Orlando Magic in the NBA and of course our beloved Canucks

Who the hell has the right to tell me to cheer for?

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Upvote 1

Look, Atlanta blew it,  There is no way you can get around it.

Leading 28-3 in the third quarter in a championship game and you still lost it?!

Does not matter how great the opposing QB is.  It could be Johnny Unitas, Joe Nameth,  Brett Favre,  or Joe Montana at the helm.  You are not to suppose to lose such games.

It is obvious Quinn got outcoached by Belichick.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Anyone seen Brady's game jersey?  

Who the hell would steal it and think they could get away with that ... there has got to be security cameras everywhere.  And what, you're going to put it up for auction??!!  

It was probably Goodell....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

Look, Atlanta blew it,  There is no way you can get around it.

Leading 28-3 in the third quarter in a championship game and you still lost it?!

Does not matter how great the opposing QB is.  It could be Johnny Unitas, Joe Nameth,  Brett Favre,  or Joe Montana at the helm.  You are not to suppose to lose such games.

It is obvious Quinn got outcoached by Belichick.

TBH, I don't think Atlanta "blew it", the PATs just won it.  

16 hours ago, c00kies said:

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

TBH, I don't think Atlanta "blew it", the PATs just won it.  

Even though there were a dozen things that the game turned on, to me, it comes down to the sack after the great catch by Julio. Ryan simply cannot allow himself to be sacked in that situation. If the Falcons get the field goal we're talking about how the Pats almost came back...

12 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

But how many games a year do you watch? Need a year by year breakdown, which network, size of your tv. 

This year I bought game pass so was probably able to watch about 10-12 Titans games. Most Titans games would be on CBS, size of my tv would be 42 and 60 inches. In past when I didn't have game pass I would try to find a stream of the game or just watch other games and follow Titans twitter. 

• Upvote 1