The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Do we know any possible names for candidates to be hired as new Head Coach replacing Wally?

Trestman was just fired a year after winning the Cup. He should be at the top of the list.

Maas there's rumors he could be on his way out of Edmonton. Hervey knows him with the obvious connection there.

I hope the Lions end up hiring someone experienced and not a rookie.

5 hours ago, fivethej said:

Do we know any possible names for candidates to be hired as new Head Coach replacing Wally?

Trestman was just fired a year after winning the Cup. He should be at the top of the list.

Maas there's rumors he could be on his way out of Edmonton. Hervey knows him with the obvious connection there.

I hope the Lions end up hiring someone experienced and not a rookie.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum...I'm tired of these retreads and I'd like to see ownership think outside the box (slightly) with the next hiring.

I've been advocating for this guy for quite a while, actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Constantin

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

why not geroy. i would love dickinson, but doubt that will happen. what is reinboldt's roll here?  

not sure geroy has enough experience coaching to run a cfl team

the team needs a placeholder

so an experienced capable retread is fine

lulay will be the next long term head coach of the team

he needs a couple of years to transition still (oh, and retire too)

On 2018-10-28 at 5:02 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

I've always thought keeping all the rule changes the same (to keep tradition) and just adding 1 extra down would be a brilliant move to draw more people to the game. You could probably also add a couple teams in northern American towns that don't have an NFL team like in Idaho and Montana. But the CFL doesn't care about growing, unless it's just adding back teams to Ottawa. 

The CFL used to be the exciting offensive passing league now there are NFL teams every week scoring 30 plus points a game and tossing it all over the yard.

The only thing the CFL has better than the NFL are that kicks and punts are actually returned more often than not thanks to the no yards.

So other than wanting to support a "Canadian game" why do we watch anymore?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The CFL used to be the exciting offensive passing league now there are NFL teams every week scoring 30 plus points a game and tossing it all over the yard.

The only thing the CFL has better than the NFL are that kicks and punts are actually returned more often than not thanks to the no yards.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's possible to enjoy both leagues.....just as I have no trouble watching junior hockey, or MLS....

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Why is it always NFL vs CFL? I like both leagues and find both interesting for different reasons. 

36 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

So much for “win one for Wally”.

Brutal and complete no-show by this team. 

Face it...... Wally was/is done. 

That is exactly why he is done. 

Need a younger version of Wally that is still willing put it on the line and take a chance. 

Being old myself I get it what happens when you play too safe. 

Wally insists on honest football but some times you have to at least show that you are capable of bluffing. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Why is it always NFL vs CFL? I like both leagues and find both interesting for different reasons. 

I did too but the last few years it has been harder to find aspects which I enjoy more than I used too.

Like I said the old saying was "American football has the better players but Canadian football has the better game."

I am not saying you can't enjoy both just that it is much harder to do so because the NFL game is more entertaining than the CFL right now arguably.

More teams going for it on 4th down trying trick plays etc.

What do you still like about the CFL? Honest question here. I am not trying to just dump on the CFL.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I did too but the last few years it has been harder to find aspects which I enjoy more than I used too.

Like I said the old saying was "American football has the better players but Canadian football has the better game."

I am not saying you can't enjoy both just that it is much harder to do so because the NFL game is more entertaining than the CFL right now arguably.

What do you still like about the CFL? Honest question here. I am not trying to just dump on the CFL.

Not much to like about the Lions right now but I've always liked the in game speed of the CFL game.

On 2018-11-11 at 8:07 PM, Chip Kelly said:

My like for the CFL has diminished over the last few years.

Not because of the game but because of the league. 

It seems like it is on a rinse and repeat trend over the last few years. 

It lacks the consistent stars.

The standings are much too consistent. Stamps always leading west, east a giant cluster&^@#. 

And with the Lions constantly sucking it hasn't helped keeping my attention span.

I never watched Grey Cup last year except for catching end while in a pub with hockey buddies. We weren't there for the Grey Cup.

First time in decades I didn't care about Grey Cup.

Not sure I will watch this year

47 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

My like for the CFL has diminished over the last few years.

Not because of the game but because of the league. 

It seems like it is on a rinse and repeat trend over the last few years. 

It lacks the consistent stars.

The standings are much too consistent. Stamps always leading west, east a giant cluster&^@#. 

And with the Lions constantly sucking it hasn't helped keeping my attention span.

I never watched Grey Cup last year except for catching end while in a pub with hockey buddies. We weren't there for the Grey Cup.

First time in decades I didn't care about Grey Cup.

Not sure I will watch this year

I think the issue with the CFL is a lack of talent.  The dollars paid to guys just aren't enough to attract guys up here, who aren't quite good enough for the NFL.  We used to get those guys, but now they are (most often) college graduates who have jobs that make more than the CFL pays.  Sure we get the odd guy, who is pretty good, but the gap between the NFL talent pool and the CFL pool is getting wider and wider.  The CFL is basically a semi-pro league.  I don't know how the league will survive.

• Upvote 1