The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Finally watched Wolf of Wall Street.

Good beginning, middle could have used some editing/shortening and the ending was just ok. The acting's pretty good by everyone involved but the story was nothing terribly new, more of a new twist on an old fable kind of thing.

Made me a bit nauseous to think of how much people like this effect our monetary system...bunch of adolescent, manic cave men...

Anyhoo!

7/10 It's entertaining, funny, shocking and well acted but nothing ground breaking.

Jodorowsky's Dune - 9.5 / 10

Documentary of the year. Kills me that this film was never made, but the animated storyboards bring it to life

HUGE Dune fan...must look in to this!

Edited by J.R.

Finally watched Wolf of Wall Street.

Good beginning, middle could have used some editing/shortening and the ending was just ok. The acting's pretty good by everyone involved but the story was nothing terribly new, more of a new twist on an old fable kind of thing.

Made me a bit nauseous to think of how much people like this effect our monetary system...bunch of adolescent, manic cave men...

Anyhoo!

7/10 It's entertaining, funny, shocking and well acted but nothing ground breaking.

Exactly how I felt about it. Don't quite remember the rating I gave it, probably around the 6-7/10 range; but it was entirely too long. While the first hour was interesting, the second was more of the same and didn't really do much to further the story at all.

While there are films you know could be cut down 20-30 minutes, but it's hard to pinpoint sometimes what scenes/areas could be cut, "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a textbook example of a film that that could have been cut down from 3 hours to 2, and you wouldn't have noticed at all. Cut out hour 2 and just have the first and last hour, and the film would have actually been better.

Exactly how I felt about it. Don't quite remember the rating I gave it, probably around the 6-7/10 range; but it was entirely too long. While the first hour was interesting, the second was more of the same and didn't really do much to further the story at all.

While there are films you know could be cut down 20-30 minutes, but it's hard to pinpoint sometimes what scenes/areas could be cut, "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a textbook example of a film that that could have been cut down from 3 hours to 2, and you wouldn't have noticed at all. Cut out hour 2 and just have the first and last hour, and the film would have actually been better.

Yeah I don't have problems with the themes etc in the movie that some seem to, more the actual "film" aspect of it.

It's interesting and well acted material but it just seemed to fall a bit flat on it's telling. Like hearing someone tell a good, dirty joke you know well but mixing up some of the middle and adding unnecessary parts until the punchline falls a bit flat.

Dude, you're wrecking the joke. It still got chuckles but people should be rolling on the floor and have their drinks come out their noses!

Which is a shame as there's definitely some good stuff in there about humanity, our dirty desire for "more", how easily people can be lead in to cult-like selfishness and greed etc.

Edited by J.R.

I'd like to make a movie called "Enough" about how the major flaw of capitalism is it's need for "more". It's like a hungry beast that we need to constantly feed more resources, more cheap labour etc.

It would be EXACTLY 89 minutes long :lol:

The Raid 2 - 8/10

Won't be a long review because I'm too lazy. The story was better then the first film, and the first film didn't have a bad story for a pure action film. Film immediately takes place after the events of the first film, and then quickly launches into 2 years afterwards, which was done very well to progress the story.

From a pure action point of view, this film is huge. At 2 and a half hours in length, although you get a lot of fighting, there is a lot of storytelling as well. Where people may have been blown away from the fighting in the first film, this film cranks it up to 11. Absolutely phenomenal performances. The last 3 fight scenes are absolutely incredible; which in a film like this is tough to achieve because the entire film is one terrific fight scene after another and each one better then the previous.

I left the movie feeling like I don't know sh*t about fighting and feeling bad about my own athleticism. Lots of fun. And although 2 and a half hours is a tad too long, it does fly by. If you like martial art films, you can't miss this one.

Edited by Monty

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: 9/10

Absolutely incredible movie, matching the quality of the original and imo one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Intense, emotional, intelligent and surprisingly unpredictable( considering we basically know how it ends).

Dawn delivers a captivating conflict, and allows us to empathize with all sides. Even though most of the characters are apes the humanity in this movie is unbelievable.. Also the parallels to present and historical events are awesome to see.

Lone Survivor 6/10

Great until the halfway point where they fall down the hill in possibly the worst choreographed stunt in movie history. Then they do it again minutes later ? Almost turned it off and went to bed at that point.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles

Better than Rise? I have to check this out then

I've heard people say it's the "Empire Strikes Back or The Dark Knight of the Apes reboot".

I can't wait to watch Boyhood. How Linklater shot it over 12 years still amazes me.

Edited by Spoderman

I can't wait to watch Boyhood. How Linklater shot it over 12 years still amazes me.

posted the trailer for this one a while ago, and I've been excited for it ever since. the trailer alone makes me want to weep

i'm going to go on a Linklater marathon to psych myself up for it

wiki says its release date was yesterday, but i imagine that was maybe a limited release in US? its not playing at my local theatre, as far as i can tell.

Explain? This is the first meh I've seen regarding the movie

Just wasn't too impressed with the film as a whole. I loved the last one, it was my favourite film of 2011. There was certainly things I liked about it, but felt that it dragged at times, and two of the characters (guy from Fringe/Band of Brothers and ape with one eye) were the stereotypical "I hate the other side" characters.

Not terrible by any means, but it was not as strong as the first one. I wouldn't watch it again.

Just wasn't too impressed with the film as a whole. I loved the last one, it was my favourite film of 2011. There was certainly things I liked about it, but felt that it dragged at times, and two of the characters (guy from Fringe/Band of Brothers and ape with one eye) were the stereotypical "I hate the other side" characters.

Not terrible by any means, but it was not as strong as the first one. I wouldn't watch it again.

friend of mine saw it tonight and said the same thing. good "for what it is" (red flag), and that it really dragged at times

still gonna see it, but idk if i need to go see in theatre