Kass9

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

My Best of 2018:

Annihilation

A Quiet Place

Hereditary

Suspiria

Sicario ii

The only one of those I haven’t seen is Suspiria. And I still have to watch Roma, You Were Never Really Here, The Sisters Brothers, Searching, and Widows, but so far, my list would be the following (no order):

1. Thoroughbreds

2. Annihilation 

That’s it. Once I watch the ones above I mentioned, I can finish it up. But if those disappoint, then my Top 5 will become a Top 2. 

4 hours ago, Monty said:

The only one of those I haven’t seen is Suspiria. And I still have to watch Roma, You Were Never Really Here, The Sisters Brothers, Searching, and Widows, but so far, my list would be the following (no order):

1. Thoroughbreds

2. Annihilation 

That’s it. Once I watch the ones above I mentioned, I can finish it up. But if those disappoint, then my Top 5 will become a Top 2. 

Going to watch the bolded tonight. Literally can't think of a movie from 2018 that really stands out to me.

I watched Bad Times at the El Royale last night. I'd give it a 7.5/10. I always seem to like movies that show the same thing/timeline from different perspectives. This one just dragged on about 30-45 minutes too long and then somehow felt rushed in parts. 

13 hours ago, Monty said:

1. Thoroughbreds

2. Annihilation 

Leaning towards Suspiria being my favorite of the year.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:17 PM, Monty said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Latest Coen Brothers film, made for Netflix. Little two hour film, that contains 6 short stories in the old west; neither of which are related to each other in any way, shape, or form.

Not the best Coen Bros outing, but not the worst; and certainly not the least enjoyable. The only short story that was a bit of a letdown was the last one. However, even that had its moments, like the philosophical debate between the trapper and the elderly woman.

The two best, in my opinion, are The Meal Ticket (Liam Neeson and the guy who played Dudley in the Harry Potter films) and The Prospector (Tom Waits). All enjoyable, but those were the best ones.

Worth watching, because it’s the Coen Bros.

Just finished. Overall very good but not great movie.

Agree with the two best ones. Particularly Meal Ticket, which I found mesmerizing. Both that and All Gold Canyon (prospector) had such vivid storytelling, with so few words (outside of the repeated narrative performances, and the singing) and actors (total of 6 credited actors between the two of them, and 2 of those had mere seconds of screen time).

The opening one (same title as the movie) was pretty funny, but was so absurd, and was such an extreme contrast to everything else. Near Algodones was sort of 'meh', except for Steven Root's awesome bank teller. The Gal Who Got Rattled (the 2nd last one, and by far the longest) was my least favorite...it really dragged, but at least it ended well. The Mortal Remains was so-so, but it tied up central theme well.

Edited by D-Money

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

Perfect film. Must, must see. Watch it. That’s all.

E39313E1-CA40-457C-81D6-373402CC3998.jpeg

—————————

Searching

Usually films with a gimmick, like this one, crash and burn in quality. But it was really well done. Not sure if it was filmed like a conventional movie if it would have been better or not. Either way, it was well done and worth watching.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, Bitter Melon said:

Aquaman

Hot Trash/10

I know right, felt like I was watching Star Wars, Godzilla, playing Uncharted and watching Aquaman at the same time. 

They had great actors for the movie as well, move had so much potential.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:59 AM, J-23 said:

I know right, felt like I was watching Star Wars, Godzilla, playing Uncharted and watching Aquaman at the same time. 

They had great actors for the movie as well, move had so much potential.

Meh...it's an awful character (Aquaman)...movie was as good as you can expect from a low rent ripoff of the Marvel character Sub Mariner.  Not great but not Justice League awful.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not great but not Justice League awful.

It’s honestly shocking how bad Justice League was. The tone, writing, acting, directing, it honestly reminded me of the Star Wars prequels. Nothing made sense. 

If you had told me it was written by a 13 year old, and directed by a 22 year old, it would have made sense why it turned into a complete mess.

They spent $3M to turn this

2C54A6A6-F161-4A43-B50D-A0D9622D86B1.png

into this

CAE1DAEE-54DD-4CD1-B6A6-7B73755EE4E7.jpeg

That decision was made by a movie studio that employs thousands of people for ONE movie, and hundreds of millions of dollars in making and marketing a movie, in order to make a billion dollars. 

That’s why, among all the problems with the film, it deserves the Red Letter Media Plinkett Review. It’s such a mess.

• Upvote 2