The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 5/8/2016 at 5:16 PM, believe in blue forever said:

Captain America Civil War

Loved it. Right now, I cannot think of a single thing that I hated about this movie. It was badass and there is so much asskicking in this film, every fight sequence was amazing. That airport scene from the trailer had me smiling the whole time. And there was a fight that had me on the edge of my seat it was terrific.

I was worried it would be an Avengers movie rather than a Captain America movie. For me, even with all the other characters it was still Captain America focused which was awesome.

Every character was great, and had their own stand out moment. The new superheros, Black Panther and Spiderman, were introduced perfectly. Black Panther really stood out for me, he was a significant character without overshadowing the others.The movie did a great job explaining why everyone takes the side for or against the government plan, it makes sense why each character chose to be on the side that they are on.

This part exactly. The way they built up the story for Black Panther was great and great acting on the part of the actor really helped to buy into his character. And Spiderman, what can I say, they hit it out of the park having a younger and comedic spiderman which made him very endearing. This is also what stood out in stark contrast to Batman Vs. Superman, there were so many bad things about that movie but one of the bigger ones was the casting.......*cough.......*cough.....Lex Luthor. 

Edited by Bure1994Mclean

8 hours ago, Bure1994Mclean said:

Captain America: Civil War - 9.5/10. So many different characters and the pacing of their introductions was excellent. The movie had a really strong comedic side to it, brought by Spiderman who was probably the funniest, Antman, and the chemistry between Bucky and Hawkeye. Two particular scenes of the movie stick out to me, one involving Antman, - those of you who watch it will know which, and a twist involving Iron Man and Bucky. Overall, a very enjoyable movie which I felt was just as good as the Winter Soilder which I feel is probably the strongest of the Marvel movies.   

So stoked to see this flick!

Took my daughters to The Jungle Book last weekend and I give it a solid 7/10.

Best line: Baloo (voiced by Bill Murray) to an annoying Pangolin, "You've never been more endangered than you are right now..."

So yesterday, wife and mother go to the greenhouse to buy plants and trees. I stay home and watch:

The Crazies (2010) - 7/10

First watched this back during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics with a few friends. Timothy Olyphant, to me, has always been the rich man's Guy Pearce.

Really fun movie, if you like horror films.

21 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You have no idea how much I loved these movies as a kid growing up!

The score was not serious at all, but I do absolutely love watching those movies, yeah. There's just something about them.

They are the most generic of 80's action flicks, but that's what makes me enjoy them as much as I do. Well, the first one more so than the others.

Captain America: Civil War - 5/10

Did not like this movie much, at all. Kind of like an inverse of Batman vs. Superman, where I walked into that movie with no expectations, so I didn't leave disappointed when it barely provided anything. Here, I was excited. The movie had glowing reviews, and the first two Captain America movies are my favourites of this Marvel series they've created.

The first one was unique in its presentation, as it's the only one that takes place in a historical setting, and incorporates real war of any kind into its story. It was a great origin story, and they did about as well as anything to describe who Captain America was and why he acted the way he did. The second one was just a solid spy thriller. Liked it even more than the first. The whole manner by which Hydra tore down the organization from within was about as interesting a direction as they could have taken the whole SHIELD angle. 

But this one, damn was I bored throughout the whole third movie. I'm not one to bash something like a superhero movie for relying on plot conveniences, but dear Lord did that villain take it to a whole other level. So one dude, with limited resources, figured out all the secrets and ins and outs of The Avengers that he needed to, and then was genius enough to concoct said plan on his own, and then was able to get people to coincidently appear where they had no reason to appear. 

Then there were things like the whole UN accord to control The Avengers, being based on their being too reckless. I mean Tony creating Ultron by mistake had nothing to do with the collateral damage during their missions. They played it up as if every death that happened was a result of their recklessness. If they did nothing, more people would have died, and they continue to literally do everything they can to save as many people as they do. Hell, even in the beginning of the movie in Nigeria, when Scarlet Witch picks up the bomber and throws him into the line of building, killing 20-something people, she saved the lives of a couple of hundred that were crowded in the market. And they didn't once play it up as if they were "choosing lives" and "playing God" or something, just that they don't care enough about lives, and that people only died because they were looking out for themselves. Didn't make sense in literally any of their examples.

There's also the factor that despite Captain America being the best thing about the movie, and being the title character to who's series the movie was supposed to belong to, he was barely in it enough. That's the one thing about all these crossover movies. The novelty kind of wore off after the first Avenger's movie, and rather than just do an appearance or two that totally works, they're more interested in totally stuffing the movie from top to bottom with names. It's overcrowded and overbooked. Also, if this is just going to be an Avengers movie under a different name, just call it the Avengers.

I couldn't care less about the big new hero they were trying to introduce, in Black Panther. Everything about the way he was introduced, to the way he acted, to the way the story treated him, turned me off of ever watching the movie they're making for him. Hell, no real Marvel movie at this point looks particularly appealing to me at this point.

They don't look appealing partly because of the tiredness of the exact same formula being recycled again and again, but in terms of tone and story direction they're bit off the rails. I know some are taking a back seat so that others can come in, but it's a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Doesn't help that the new cooks can't really cook either.

The one movie I'd be interested in watching after all of this would have been a Scarlett Witch movie, but they're not doing that, it seems.

The one thing I'd give this movie praise for is that it succeeded in it making Captain America look like a real boss of a human being, while highlighting all of Tony Starks flaws like they wanted. But awesome action aside, it was a real chore to watch. Don't think I've seen a Super Hero movie this awkwardly paced in a while.

So, so, so sick of superhero movies. Even having trouble getting through season 2 of Daredevil. Every time they make reference to the Avengers or Jessica Jones, I get reminded how completely ridiculous the whole thing is.

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So, so, so sick of superhero movies. Even having trouble getting through season 2 of Daredevil. Every time they make reference to the Avengers or Jessica Jones, I get reminded how completely ridiculous the whole thing is.

For me, it's just how interchangeable they are. I know for quality sake, they are good. The writing is spot on and the SFX are good; however, I literally feel nothing when I watch them.

And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. I don't like them or hate them, there's just this void for two hours. I mean, can anyone tell me the difference, aside from characters, between Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, Avengers, etc, etc, etc?

I know they are popcorn flicks, and I'm cool with those. That's why I like and appreciate Avatar and Gravity. They aren't supposed to be terrific, just entertaining enough to keep one engaged. But the Marvel films are 2 hours of smashing.

horace and pete: 5/10

this is a 10 part web series written and directed by Louis CK, with a phenomenal cast of Louis CK, Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco, and Jessica Lange. The show started off strong in the first two episodes, then takes a baffling nosedive, going so deep into its own depressive ass. Instead of being a show that explores a theme like suicide, cancer, mental health, murder, familial abuse, the (failure of the) american dream, and so on - this show DEALS WITH ALL OF THEM(!!!!!). every episode is a hammer to the face with some tragic reality that some people have to face - and this small group has to deal with every single one. It's stupid.

The production itself is weird - it has a very stage/theatre-like style, complete with "Intermissions" (in some episodes). In this sense, I'd say CK is actually being pretentious, with "artsy" affectations galore--and that says something, because I am 100% against calling something pretentious. Here, the shoe just fits, which is unfortunate because I feel like a lot of great small ideas are overshadowed my massive, colossal themes and events presented so strangely. Louis CK should have just toned it down and it would have been great. Instead, he went for everything and it sorta sucks.

edit: on the positive side, though, I will say that Louis CK is a fantastic writer at times. the "normal" dialogue in the show is fantastic - however, some of the 'comical' dialogue in the show is very much from Louis CK's voice, even if it's shared between two totally different characters. In this sense, I think his dramatic writing far supersedes his comedic

Also, he's a  good actor.

Edited by GLASSJAW

Did a lot of flying recently. Here are my Air Canada film ratings:

Animal Kingdom: 8.75/10

Aussie-based film starring Joel Edggerton, Ben Mendehlson, and Guy Pearce. Another movie where I'm left wanting more. Might have to take a break from film and start reading more. Plot is that a young kid's mother dies. He and his mom were estranged from his real family, and now he goes back into this family to be taken care of by his uncles and grandma. His grandma is played by Jacki Weaver, who gives the best performance. She always convinces me she is pure evil. The entire family is relatively evil, with different members wrapped up in different crime-related activities. 

Love & Mercy|: 8.25/10

Re-watched this one. Great to see Elizabeth Banks do movies that aren't masturbation comedies and hunger games. I thought Paul Dano really nailed his character whereas Cusak has rubbed me the wrong way ever since Malkovich.

Spaceballs: 9/10

They have Spaceballs on Air Canada and it is awesome. 

Mr. Holmes: 7/10

Probably just been too over-saturated with movies/TV either directly about or influenced by Sherlock Holmes. Here its that cute, 'oh Holmes is really old and there is a cute boy that comes along to help and look how special their relationship is'. Still, it was entertainment. 

Spotlight: 7.5/10

Thought the acting in this movie was quite poor considering how great the cast was and the importance of the topic. I normally like Ruffalo but his character felt flat and was written poorly. Writers wanted to establish this 'bond' between reporters right off the bat. They take five seconds to show him ordering a hotdog at a baseball game so everyone can see what an ordinary guy he is. Also, getting rights to the story must have come with a condition that the word 'Spotlight' was used a minimum of 100 times because it seemed like that word was used more than the F-word in Scarface.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: 10/10

I started watching Seinfeld at around 9 or 10. Maybe my favorite show of all time. I have no idea why I waited so long to watch Curb. Larry David shows signs of both George and Jerry so perfectly and his wife is great. So excited that there are nine seasons of this show to catch up on. 

Mr Robot: 7/10

Only watched two episodes, but didn't like it as much as I initially did. Getting tired of TV shows where the lead character narrates what he is doing/feeling. LAZY.

Edited by Down by the River

2 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Started "The Night Manager" 6 episode mini series with Hugh Laurie and Tom Middleton last night.

First episode was 5/10, but it seems like it will get better, considering imdb gave it an 8.4/10. 

Definitely gets better IMO. First episode just sets up the story/characters. The rest of the show is entirely different.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Definitely gets better IMO. First episode just sets up the story/characters. The rest of the show is entirely different.

That's what I was thinking, maybe cause it's a mini series. Just seemed a bit corny with his short sleep over with the Hamid guys gf. Than skips 4 years later to Switzerland and the chance encounter.

I'll definitely keep watching though, I like both actors. House and Loki together can only be good.

Waited until it came out on DVD, watched "The 5th Wave", my daughter had been wanting to see it.

Should've paid attention to how fast it disappeared at the box office. Quite honestly, barely a 5/10. Weak story, horrible ending, leaving it wide open for a sequel...please, NO!!!!

All Is Lost  - 8/10

It was a nice change of pace from the movies I've recently watched. You probably shouldn't be surprised to be the only one awake at the end if you watch it with others though. 

Room - 9/10

Stunning performance by the entire cast in this one. Must see IMO.

Diary of a Teenage Girl - 7/10

Slutty San Fran in the Seventies. Nothing earth shattering, just subtle trippy animation sequences, surprisingly affective acting, and a solid soundtrack. Apt breezy watching for a warm breezy spring evening.