The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Lain Talk

Joel Heyman

I thought Lain was effective for a 4C role. He forechecked well, and he was physical.

Ok he didn't score or set up a goal. But he did a decent job from what I saw.

He also had very good defensive position in the neutral zone. The only thing that concerned me is he lost 3 straight draws on one shift...but it was against Pavelski, so I guess that's kinda forgivable.

he seemed to have a nose for the net, just not a lot of finish. i think he'll get his share of powerplay goals for Utica this season. i wasn't particularly high on this guy before this off season but i can see more of his value now. seems like all he really needs to do is get used to the speed of pro hockey and maybe slow things down a bit in the offensive zone. filling out his frame will come in time obviously, but that will be impactful for him as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Decent. Though if you ask me he's been outplayed by that new Welsh dude for any bottom 6 C call-ups.

But does Welsh play a bottom 6 type of role, or is he playing better by scoring points because he's a more offensive type of player?

Could you give a slightly more in-depth comparison? I don't really get to watch any AHL stuff, so I'd like to hear about it :D

But does Welsh play a bottom 6 type of role, or is he playing better by scoring points because he's a more offensive type of player?

Could you give a slightly more in-depth comparison? I don't really get to watch any AHL stuff, so I'd like to hear about it :D

I like his size at 210. Love it if he can stick at 4C. I seriously think that Richardson can play at 3C. You have to think that Schroeder's durability is being questioned by brass.

The kid's a while away from being an impact fourth liner. If we rush him, he'll turn into just another big body with zero I.Q.

will end up being a turnover machine. let him develop.

That's not really the problem actually, they want a little more from him in the offensive end of the ice. Defensively he's good and he certainly already plays physically and is great on faceoffs. They don't want him to be just that if they can help it though, he'll get his chance sooner than that I think.

How's Lain's energy game? I'm hearing that he's defensively responsible, strong on the puck, and good on faceoffs. I doubt he'll developer a real offensive game, but he might find success by parking in front of the net. If he gets good at banging and tipping pucks in the crease, that's all I'd ask of him, really. It would be nice if he could learn to make good passed off the board, too - a Joe Thornton style.

All in all, I'm happy if he can provide some energy and security down on the fourth line. Any offense generated by him would probably be a bonus. Though I can see the reasoning behind needing some production from him, too. Look at the fourth lines of the teams that succeed in the playoffs.

From what I have seen he does like to crash and bang a bit, but I'm not sure without seeing more of him if he's high energy or just takes his opportunities. It doesn't look like he'll be much of a setup guy for the type of wingers he'll encounter on the 4th line when they breakout from their own zone, but he might be a part of some dirty goals in close when that line does get chances and can hem the other team in their own end.

he was effective on the power play in front of the net in college, so i'm lead to believe there is an understanding there. i think he needs to translate that into 5 on 5 play given the fact he wouldn't likely get much PP time with the canucks

he was effective on the power play in front of the net in college, so i'm lead to believe there is an understanding there. i think he needs to translate that into 5 on 5 play given the fact he wouldn't likely get much PP time with the canucks

Lol this isn't 2010/11... He might...

Archived