The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Well I for one am delighted that Lu is, hopefully, staying as our No 1.

I could never understand the rationale of this whole scenario. On the one side we have the greatest net minder in Canuck history and on the other a young guy who MIGHT manage to fill his shoes.

For me Schneider while at times looking elite, never convinced me that he could play CONSISTENTLY behind our defence, a defence that relied far too much on great net minding. That is a lot of pressure and Lu has coped with it for years.

Even after we retained Schneider, say he had proved his elite quality, what would he be asking when it came time to renew his contract? Would it still be a salary efficient move, with maybe Lack or Cannata or ? bursting through?

My only other reservation is that I don't think we got enough for CS.

So what if we had traded to the Oilers? Are we so paranoid/defeatist that we don't feel we can build a team capable of seeing off Edmonton?

I don't understand that thinking. You take the very best you can get and then back yourself, your coach and your players to succeed.

now i see our only move left is to package Edler with Lugongo to montreal for Price...dependent on Edlers approval...but there is a chance he would go to the storied Canadien...Edler would be the cost of moving that damn albatross of a contract

....and the Canucks won't get very far with a #1 goalie who posts a SP of .909 and a GAA of 2.56....unless Lou finds another gear this team is going to get hammered. Of course we could agree with a scotty who grew up watching Aberdeen play soccer..or was it hockey?

I am pretty sure he was implying that with the structure of his current contract he was contractually undesirable, had we bought him out my bet is teams would have been lining up to sign him to a more reasonably length contract

He may be untradeable, but it's hard to believe we've reached closure on this.  The soap opera will continue in various ways:  does he get bought out this time next year?  does a market for him emerge once we're past the vulture compliance buyout moment we're in now?  There must be a dozen more scenarios out there.

Not even remotely surprised that this situation has turned out this way. Plans only work if you carry them out. Signing Lu long term was a good plan,( questionable contract.....), but was derailed by Schnides good play. Trading youth to get FAs at the deadline ,goes against the Detroit model....again, not sticking to the original plan. Sustainability requires long term thinking. the possibility that this team was close to winning a cup made management impatient and knee jerky. Recent moves has us back tracking and getting back on track, this is good. There should never be a window, Just a revolving door of fresh talent coming up from the farm to support a core group of vets, that is also revolving over the years. Hopefully management has learned something here, let your well laid plans unfold as you planned them.

yur a joke appollo...stats over 2 games..give yur head a shake...Lou is still here because after 15 months...no one wanted him...and Gillis traded the team MVP...that's voted on by the guys in the locker room...the guys that believed he was our best

yur a joke appollo...stats over 2 games..give yur head a shake...Lou is still here because after 15 months...no one wanted him...and Gillis traded the team MVP...that's voted on by the guys in the locker room...the guys that believed he was our best

Tough situation for everyone involved, and everyone knows it probably wasn't the ideal solution but hey this is reality and sometimes things changed.

Luo is on a good team with a new coach and atmosphere. Regardless of the no-trade I think all the vets on the team are coming into the next season as a "reset". So Luo is not entirely alone, and I *hope* this adversity can be overcomed and forgotten.

And also how a guy who played 30 games won MVP is beyond stupid. Some nights he faced 15-25 shots.

He was soooooo sheltered. Right on gillis... u made a decent move for once. I still want u fired though.

Funny how this all turned out though. Like haha funny ... not Jerry Seinfeld funny.

And also how a guy who played 30 games won MVP is beyond stupid. Some nights he faced 15-25 shots.

He was soooooo sheltered. Right on gillis... u made a decent move for once. I still want u fired though.

Funny how this all turned out though. Like haha funny ... not Jerry Seinfeld funny.

This thread needs a bump. Seems inappropriate that it's not at the top of the forum.

And wouldn't it be a shocker if Gillis turned around and dealt Luongo as well if Luo is dragging his feet about coming back - as appears could be the case.

Reset haha. More leverage to get a deal done.

Btw, Schneider has faced 30 shots / 60 min the last two seasons - suggesting he was "sheltered" is just silly Apollo, particularly given the fact AV did not hesitate to play him in the biggest games either season.

Archived