The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Well I for one am delighted that Lu is, hopefully, staying as our No 1.

I could never understand the rationale of this whole scenario. On the one side we have the greatest net minder in Canuck history and on the other a young guy who MIGHT manage to fill his shoes.

For me Schneider while at times looking elite, never convinced me that he could play CONSISTENTLY behind our defence, a defence that relied far too much on great net minding. That is a lot of pressure and Lu has coped with it for years.

Even after we retained Schneider, say he had proved his elite quality, what would he be asking when it came time to renew his contract? Would it still be a salary efficient move, with maybe Lack or Cannata or ? bursting through?

My only other reservation is that I don't think we got enough for CS.

So what if we had traded to the Oilers? Are we so paranoid/defeatist that we don't feel we can build a team capable of seeing off Edmonton?

I don't understand that thinking. You take the very best you can get and then back yourself, your coach and your players to succeed.

i am surprised at all the people "assuming " lugongo will come back. he sold his condo said his farewells and was expecting to be gone. now you have a proud guy who has to walk in the dressing room where he was replaced , and the team now has to believe in him again? it seems like a recipe for a BIG locker room problem . i hope this Erikssonis the real deal because him and lack could possibly be the goalies next year.

I could never understand the rationale of this whole scenario. On the one side we have the greatest net minder in Canuck history and on the other a young guy who MIGHT manage to fill his shoes.

For me Schneider while at times looking elite, never convinced me that he could play CONSISTENTLY behind our defence, a defence that relied far too much on great net minding. That is a lot of pressure and Lu has coped with it for years.

Even after we retained Schneider, say he had proved his elite quality, what would he be asking when it came time to renew his contract? Would it still be a salary efficient move, with maybe Lack or Cannata or ? bursting through?

So what if we had traded to the Oilers? Are we so paranoid/defeatist that we don't feel we can build a team capable of seeing off Edmonton?

I don't understand that thinking. You take the very best you can get and then back yourself, your coach and your players to succeed.

Well after all that's happened I'm left to wonder what it would have taken to trade Luongo to Toronto. If MG could have dumped him for nothing that was a huge missed opportunity. The big win at that point would have been getting out from under the contract. Even retaining some salary may have been preferable, say half a million to bring down Luongo's cap hit to under 5 million if that's what it would have taken. It would have been a bit of a mess at the time but may have been better in the long run.

I agree. I don't question drafting Horvat, but I don't see the urgency to get a deal done if they are moving Schneider in the end - and without an element of urgency, I don't see how they settle for a 1st alone.

I can't see Luongo refusing to report, demanding to be moved, or anything resembling that - imo Dreger has been blowing smoke that I doubt comes from Luongo - I think the issue was wanting to play, be the starter, and having ceded that job to Schneider, now that Schneider has been moved, (as well as the coach who went with Cory), I have to think that Luongo is not going to hurt the franchise, and may even like having the option of returning as a starter on a competitive team. He hasn't actually burned any bridges in Vancouver - I think the majority of damage was to his sense of value. Maybe he'll return with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove...

What annoys me slightly is the fact that they also didn't manage any leverage in terms of packaging a player like Ballard - imo Schneider and Ballard for a top 10 and an additional pick was not unreasonable.

He apparently nixed two trades this week. He didn't want to be moved; he wanted to stay a Canuck.

To me, that shows character you cannot buy. He'll thrive under Tortorella who ultimately was most likely consulted on the matter before the facts came about.

Gillis flat out stated that the offers from divisional rivals were no better than what New Jersey offered.

Edmonton's best offer may have been their 7th overall, with the 9th overall essentially being an identical pick to the Canucks, having targetted Horvat, and able to take him with NJ's pick, while avoiding sending Schneider to Edmonton.

Gillis flat out stated that the offers from divisional rivals were no better than what New Jersey offered.

Edmonton's best offer may have been their 7th overall, with the 9th overall essentially being an identical pick to the Canucks, having targetted Horvat, and able to take him with NJ's pick, while avoiding sending Schneider to Edmonton.

My guess exactly. No difference between a 7th and a 9th when you're targeting the same player.

The big difference is Schneider went to the East instead of a divisional rival.

If anything, this was a bold move as the Gillis camp gambled on taking the 9th and hope Horvat was still available.

Now that's a bold move.

My question is: on the walk to the podium Gillis is last in line and was stopped by someone's comment on his way. Gillis came back on his steps to interact with the man, looked at him and said something. Gillis looked absolutely pissed by the comment.

Who was it and what did the man say to him?

Archived