The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

I assume there was a consensus in management. Otherwise AV would have continued with the coin flip to choose. <_<

While I believe Schneider is the way to go, I figured if Ownership brought in a new GM, he might be able to mend the bridge with Luongo, and trade Schneider instead - or at least keep the option open. MG has kind of burnt that bridge.

Everyone made a big thing about the goaltender played as a coaching decision. It might be a little naïve to believe that but it could be enough of a pretense that Gillis could trade Schneider now that AV is gone. I agree with you that Schneider is a better long term case but it will come down to what they could get back for him. Is it retool or rebuild? What does management really think the Twins are capable of in playoff action over the next 2 years?

I disagree there.I think we need to revamp the team starting with a resign of the twins and try to trade for younger bigger players.I would give the twins one more year on the first line then second.We have a lot of players that other teams would love to have, so if MG can pull the trigger on a few for players getting older that teams would like to put them over the top I say do it as long as we get good young big players that will play hard.A new coach I would like to see someone a bit tougher then AV was on them like Mike Keenan or someone like that. Luo i think we will have to sweeten the pot to get rid of him but thats ok with me long as we get a first round pick so we will have two.

I disagree there.I think we need to revamp the team starting with a resign of the twins and try to trade for younger bigger players.I would give the twins one more year on the first line then second.We have a lot of players that other teams would love to have, so if MG can pull the trigger on a few for players getting older that teams would like to put them over the top I say do it as long as we get good young big players that will play hard.A new coach I would like to see someone a bit tougher then AV was on them like Mike Keenan or someone like that. Luo i think we will have to sweeten the pot to get rid of him but thats ok with me long as we get a first round pick so we will have two.

Just based off of MG at the year end press conference, and Luongo at the deadline, I think the Lu ship has sailed as long as MG is at the helm.

Gillis obviously thinks this teams window isn't shut yet - and I agree, so a retool would make more sense, but one thing to remember is the twins will be 33 in September and are entering the final year in their contracts - so it's closing fast. At least with this core.

Yeah, or Roy's favorite young goalie in the league. Imagine if he had his eyes on Price, haha... 1st + for Price. Man would there be some weird parallels there.

However... Schneider + for 1st overall would be something else. I would be ecstatic. I'd take Drouin or MacKinnon to play with Kesler as a playmaker/scoring duo.

Schneider and Tanev/Corrado would get it done I bet. That sir would be foolish !! Only on here would you get such a proposal..

I disagree. There is a future star in the top 3 for sure, and likely 3 future stars. To draft a guy like that could help immediately and in the future.

I prefer keeping Schneider than Luongo, but if a deal like that were on the table, then it has to be looked at.

And I think they'd just toss it..guess we differ here.

Does Luongo and one of Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin give us a better chance of winning the cup in the next 3 years than Schneider and Corrado/Tanev?

I'm not saying yes, but I'd bet they would toss that deal around the table on draft day.

If I was one of the other 29 GM's I would starve Gillis out til he has to buyout Lu.

When you blatantly let everyone know that you HAVE to trade somebody to meet cap, no one is going to do you a favour... he should've be coy about who he was going to trade Schneider or Lu to begin with.

If I was one of the other 29 GM's I would starve Gillis out til he has to buyout Lu.

When you blatantly let everyone know that you HAVE to trade somebody to meet cap, no one is going to do you a favour... he should've be coy about who he was going to trade Schneider or Lu to begin with.

Some Bob McKenzie speculation - basically what we already know/have speculated:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m

It's believed NYI would, under right circumstances, have interest in VAN G Roberto Luongo, tho 1st order of biz is to gauge cost on Nabokov.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 5m

Nabokov is UFA. As for circumstances on Luongo, almost goes without saying it would mean VAN taking Rick DiPietro for compliance buyout.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

DiPietro's buyout is steep, $1.5M per year for next 16 years, not to be confused with Luongo's buyout #s: a shade over $1.5M x 18 years.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

No question in my mind Luongo is a good "hockey" fit for NYI but whether Isles or Canucks could ever finesse a workable deal is the issue.

And to anyone thinking they could use TT:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 42s

BTW, NYI are not "tolling" contract of G Tim Thomas. That means his NHL contract expires this summer and is UFA with no obligation to anyone

Some Bob McKenzie speculation - basically what we already know/have speculated:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie  7m

It's believed NYI would, under right circumstances, have interest in VAN G Roberto Luongo, tho 1st order of biz is to gauge cost on Nabokov.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie  5m

Nabokov is UFA. As for circumstances on Luongo, almost goes without saying it would mean VAN taking Rick DiPietro for compliance buyout.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie  3m

DiPietro's buyout is steep, $1.5M per year for next 16 years, not to be confused with Luongo's buyout #s: a shade over $1.5M x 18 years.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie  2m

No question in my mind Luongo is a good "hockey" fit for NYI but whether Isles or Canucks could ever finesse a workable deal is the issue.

He's just pure speculating right now. There is no source or inside leakage that Isles might be interested in Luongo. He could have easily also said, Patrick Roy might tell Sakic to inquire about Luongo, and see how it goes. Nothing more. At this point, there is not source in regards to if Isles will be interested in him, if so I will be happy if it's a minor package with Travis Hamonic and 1st round pick and Frans Neilson coming back. (very solid 3rd line centerman) If that's it I'll be happy. Even if the package surrounds Calvin deHann I'll be happy. Anyone thinking Neno Neorrieter is wishful thinking. Stop dreaming boys.

Archived