The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12pm Press Conference on Thursday

kirkmclean1994

I'm referring to him saying that 'we need to do what we did 5 years ago when I came here..." what did the roster look like then that offseason and what did it look like after Year one GMMG ....and even compare it to what Year 5 looks like (which I think has been the most unskilled lineup since Nonis iced Ibister, Park, Ritchie, Chouinard, Fitzpatrick, Weinrich, etc)...

I posted it because Gillis SAID, we don't have the "luxury" (his words) of first round picks playing for us.

Maybe we would if Gillis didn't trade Grabner (1st rounder) and a 1st rounder for Ballard.

Maybe if he drafted someone more effective instead of the midget Schroeder.

To make matters worse, our only two young/prospect Dmen are relatively small, and soft. Tanev and Corrado.

Obviously I didn't expect Gillis to come out and say the coaches have been fired so soon after a loss. But I am still surprised by tone of the answer given. Which is the same as last season. I expected a bit more heat considering 2 early exits in a row.

Whilst admirable how he sticks up for the coaching staff, it's concerning how unwilling he seems to be to admit any possibility that some of the problems may come from coaching.

The defensive core did go through quite a bit of change.

Other than Edler and Bieksa - Ehrhoff came and gone. Hamhuis, Ballard, and Garrison came. Salo, Ohlund, and Willie Mitchell gone. Matthieu Schneider was unfortunately a big disaster.

In conclusion, actually quite a bit. Although one can argue whether this change is for better or for worse.

I think a "reset" has to include a new coach otherwise it's the same old mesage an dtactics expecting a different result.

I also think they reset needs to include a new leader or leaders in the dressing room. NOt sure if Hank can "lead" in the manner this team needs to be able to raise theri game. Hard to sacrifice yourself to succeed for a leader who plays soft, as great a guy as he may be.

Reset also means, Lu i sgone. MG was pretty blunt when asked if he thought Lu would be back "highly unlikeyl". I think there may already be a deal in place and while it may not be the one that ends up getting done, a deal will be done.

I'd like to know who decided some of the lineup changes too, especially the goalie change. But we do know that AV has relied on the ole "change the goalie to shake things up" trick before. It never works because the problem has never been either goalie.

But, I don't think it was either's fault that Schroeder didn't play. It's been reported now that he has a shoulder injury that may require surgery, so I'm guessing that's why he didn't play.

I don't understand why the media doesn't ask some of these questions.

how about a question like...

"Do you have input in the lineup decisions or do you leave that up to the coaching staff?

or

"How do you feel about personnel decisions such as lineup decisions by the head coach? Are you usually in agreement or do you leave the on ice details to the coaching staff?"

Resetting definitely starts with the head coach. Like DIBdaQUIB says, the same old message wont work anymore. It hasn't worked for 2 years now. I would be supportive of a rebuild of the core group. I would like the Sedins to play their last year of this contract for another city. I would like MG to try and move Edler and his contract before it becomes Luongo 2.0

I didn't see it so I can say what was said (though I'd love to see someone else's breakdown), but here's what the Canucks Twitter feed had:

"We're going to do a thorough review of everything in the organization. 5 years ago we re-set. It's time to do it again." - Gillis

"We had significant injuries all year, but it's my job to give Coach the best players that I can give him." - Gillis

"There are a couple of significant changes that we need to make." - Gillis

"Cory [schneider] is an outstanding young player and he indicated that he was ready to play." - Gillis

[Re-tweet] Q: Any chance Roberto Luongo is on team next fall? A: I think it's unlikely

"If you take Cory as a #1 goaltender, he's at the prime of his career; our D is at their prime. We need to get younger." - Gillis

"I think the landscape is going to be very different this summer. There will be opportunities." - Gillis

"The macro look at this team is that changes need to be made. We need to improve and we need to be different." - Gillis

"Alain is a great Coach. I can't think of another team who has gone through the tragedies we have over the past four years." - Gillis

"We've tried offer sheets and trades at deadline. We're going to have to find a bold move." - Gillis

"The only player who we think might need surgery is Schroeder. He'll get a second opinion." - Gillis

There's so many people on here that were gonna be mad no matter what he said cause you want him fired.

Quite your whining. I don't know what you actually expected him to say. It's been two days since they were knocked out.

Archived