The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you remember how we longed for the lockout to end?

Bodee

Well in a disappointing season what has been the best Canuck parts of it?

I enjoyed seeing Kesler slowly get back to some kind of form

I was pleasantly surprised by Schroeder's ability to fit in and indeed if he could acquire some attitude we still might have a diamond there.

I was pleased for Raymond. To see him also get back some of his old form was encouraging and his partnership with JS and Hansen was probably the highlight of the season for me. Unfortunately as seemed always to be the case last season, one player had an off day and we changed the line-up.

Garrison improved rapidly in a D which was constantly being chopped about.......no easy thing. Gillis deserves credit for this one although I am still not (yet) enamoured with his contract.

Lu came through for us, yet again and throughout this whole compressed nightmare exhibited all the class you would expect from the man who carried the team for so long.

Tanev looked as if he was going to be having his best season so far and further confirmed his potential both in value and in play to this team.

So, what were your highlights.............or if you feel it more appropriate the low points, although I would rather this be a positive thread.

Schredder- nice to see him do well in a broken canucks system

Corrado- proved that his play in juniors was no fluke. We really stole this kid.

Schneider- finished strong after a shaky start.

Kassian- dont care what anyone says his 11pt campaign translates into 22pt full regular season. Thats a win.

Av getting canned- good coach. I know its hard because he is a person and has a family but his time in Vancouver was done last year imo. (Would have rather seen the canucks lift the cup).

Lockout ending- biggest highlight of the season by far. Im a fan of the game first. Fan of the canucks second.

Keith high stick- now the world knows of the rat this clown really is (not just us).

I'll be honest...I was a bit insulted by the 48 game mini-season this year. I had an interest in what a couple of teams were doing...how they were playing, but I had a sour taste in my mouth most of the time because I was still pissed off about the lockout happening in the first place. That said...I'll echo Gooseberries and say the lockout ending was the biggest highlight of the season...second would be the coaching change. Once everything gets somewhat back to normal with the full camp and the full pre-season..followed by a full season of hockey, my own interest at least will return to its regular fever pitch.

It was real nice to see Garri do well, i remember hearing a lot of crap about the contract but he did real well both defensively and he was solid offensively for a guy who wasnt used on the 1st unit pp. If the new coach uses him correctly he will be worth every penny.

Real nice to see Tanev's continuous progress and the rise of Corrado also, hopefully (whoever is still on the defence corps) the rest of the blue line can get back to form.

Kassian- dont care what anyone says his 11pt campaign translates into 22pt full regular season. Thats a win..

Schneider's play was great, love that he's our #1. Had AV not overplayed him for those dozen or so games he probably would not have experienced his injury.

Garrison's rise game after game was a huge sigh of relief. AV not putting him on the 1st PP unit is mind boggling. He was by far our best and most solid D this year. We have filled Salo's shoes ladies and gentlemen, and from the looks of it, not with another band aid.

Daniel and Henrik were great this year. Our struggling PP was the source for their "drop" in production, but the silver lining was their vastly improved defensive game; it will come in handy next year.

I can't believe I'm about to say this... but I thought that Weiuseless shed his 'less' as the season progressed. If his fighting can improve I think he can develop into a real solid and proven 4th liner for us. This year he earned a little respect and in a full season next year I think he will surprise many of us. I really hope our new coach keeps him off the 2nd line though.

Kassian had a great "learning year." The drama of him partying while injured and then being sent down to the Wolves, scoring in his first shift with them, coming back up and playing with a little more intensity will only make him better. With a new coach and a solid power forward role on this team I think the trade for him just might pan out. Possibly not while GMMG is with us, but it might :P

AV getting fired. It was time to move on, I think even the players agree. :towel::towel:

Hard to dwell on any positives when so many negatives drowned them out. Much of the OP's and Gooseberries comments were bang on. Schroeder showed flashes but I want a Brad Marchant not an Andy Macdonald type. The more ice Garrison got on the PP the better he looked. Why it took so long is another reason why AV is gone IMHO. Hanson had a good run during the season. Fans started talking top 6 for Jannick but to me he is a 3rd line stalwart. Hamhuis showed enough offensive strength this season that again I advocate for Edler's reduced offensive role. He can refocus on a better defensive posture and increase his physical play in the process. I'm talking 2nd PP and more PK work. It would bring more balance to the d-core.

On the plus side, we didn't win the Stanley cup.

Yes, plus side, because you know the haters would have said something like "It doesn't count as it was a shortened season" or some garbage like that.

On the negative side - a lot....

I'm just hoping that this season (and the last one) will help the Canucks (players and management) change how they've been doing things for the better.

Studs:

Hansen - Best Canuck all season next to the goaltenders

Luongo and Schneider - Both looked like Vezina winners after shaky starts.

Garrison - Look great after a bad start, loved watching him.

Tanev and Corrado - Absolute Steals.

Raymond - Definitely showing signs of his old form.

Schroeder - If he wasn't known before, he is now. Played great in his rookie campaign.

Penalty Kill - After a bad start, caught fire.

Duds:

Roy - Gave up a great prospect for a playoff no show.

Edler - Definitely did not have a good campaign, brutal in the playoffs.

The Sedins - Not the best regular season, by far not the best playoffs.

Kassian - Started incredibly strong, later ended up in the minors.

Booth - When he wasn't scoring goals on ice he was recovering from injuries.

Barker - Tried an experiment, didn't work.

Powerplay - Yeah.......

Studs:

Schroeder - If he wasn't known before, he is now. Played great in his rookie campaign.

Duds:

Powerplay - Yeah.......

Accelerating the changes the Canucks needed to make. If the lockout wiped out this year, this aging core would be one year older and probably deliver the same results in 2013/14. I didn't want to wait another 2 years for changes.

I dont agree with some of this.

Roy- absolutely a dud. But cannauton wasnt really a good prospect. Sux we lost our 2nd though.

Kassian- played well when given mins. Sent to minors for a conditioning stint after his back was hurt. Rumor has hit he was partying too much. Anyways he scored on his first shift so not really a minus.

The Good:

-Kassian showed some flashes of why we traded away Hodgson

-Schroeder showed he can play at the NHL level, although I thing his long term home as an undersized player is on the wing.

-Hansen: Who would have thought he would produce at a 50pt pace before the season. He's got quite a shot and uses his speed effectively at both ends of the ice.

-Garrison: after a slow start, really showed exactly why we signed him. Big shot, deceptively fast skater, and solid as a rock on defense.

-Hamhuis: Showed that he isn't just a defensive oriented player and I think he can take a bigger role in creating offense in the future.

-Tanev: Plays with great position, and who knew he has a wicked wrister. If he develops a big shot and grows a bit more, I can see him becoming a #1 defensemen.

-Corrado: Tanev with a bigger shot and a bit more size.

The Meh:

Sedins: offensive numbers declined, but that is almost all attributable to a putrid PP and them being asked to play more of a two-way game. With a new coach and a better PP, I think they can top 90 points again.

Edler: Made some horrendous defensive plays, but he also scored some timely goals, so it's a wash. I expect him to be better under a new coach.

The BAD:

Bieksa: Too many boneheaded plays and not enough goals to make us forget the boneheaded plays

Roy: Looked great his first 5 games and then disappeared.

The PP: slow puck movement, not Garrison on the first unit, and overall it looked overcoached instead of just letting two of the best PP players in the modern era just play instinctively.

The third line: Not having a 3C who dominates the faceoff dot and flips play hurt the Sedins by forcing them to play a 60/40 split between offensive and defensive zone starts.

The fourth line: Simply not good enough to eat 10 minutes consistently in all kinds of games.

Studs:

Duds:

Powerplay - Yeah.......

++++ Pavel Bure, firt real Canuck inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and makes his return to Vancouver after all the BS negativity that has been heaped his way for years by the Amateurish media and gullible "FANS" in VanC. (Eat a bag of dix Ian Mcintire et al)

-----Pretty much everything else. This was the last year of canucks being spoonfed "Division Championships" and being able to pad their personal stats by playing the crappiest teams in the league almost nightly (I'm looking at the Sedins). Next year will be a truer test as to what kind of team we have here, and it's not going to be pretty.

-----Another year of dragging the best goalie ever to wear the Canucks jersey through the mud. Stay Classy MG.

Well in a disappointing season what has been the best Canuck parts of it?

I enjoyed seeing Kesler slowly get back to some kind of form

I was pleasantly surprised by Schroeder's ability to fit in and indeed if he could acquire some attitude we still might have a diamond there.

I was pleased for Raymond. To see him also get back some of his old form was encouraging and his partnership with JS and Hansen was probably the highlight of the season for me. Unfortunately as seemed always to be the case last season, one player had an off day and we changed the line-up.

Garrison improved rapidly in a D which was constantly being chopped about.......no easy thing. Gillis deserves credit for this one although I am still not (yet) enamoured with his contract.

Lu came through for us, yet again and throughout this whole compressed nightmare exhibited all the class you would expect from the man who carried the team for so long.

Tanev looked as if he was going to be having his best season so far and further confirmed his potential both in value and in play to this team.

So, what were your highlights.............or if you feel it more appropriate the low points, although I would rather this be a positive thread.

Except that I don't know that we can trust "Chicago Form" I still think Connauton had/has a lot of what we need.

I would not be surprised if he comes good in Dallas...........as for a 2nd thrown in, don't get me started, utter lunacy.

Archived