The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Toronto make huge bid for goaltender Bernier.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-leafs-might-have-scared-flyers-out-bernier-bidding

Report: Leafs might have scared Flyers out of Bernier bidding

Ryan Dadoun

updated 8:04 am. EDT Jun. 21, 2013

It sounds like the Toronto Maple Leafs have made a strong bid in the Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes and that might send ripples through Philadelphia, according to CSN Philly’s sources.

The details of the bid aren’t known, but the Flyers aren’t really talking to the Kings and likely don’t want to match what’s already on the table at this time.

Although Toronto is believed to be the current leaders for Bernier’s services and the Flyers might be out, the Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild, and recently the New Jersey Devils have also been listed as possible trading partners.

If toronto gets bernier and they offer big for him then they will set the franchise further back. Dumb move. Bernier has never been a starter and his goalie stats are very similar to reimer. A veteran goalie makes way more sense for toronto...but hey i hope they do get bernier and watch them fall flat on their faces!

Luongo would make TO a way better team for the next 5 years, I hope they don't get him.

Haha...let them make a crazy bid for Bernier...they'll have less assetts elsewhere and yet another young, unproven goalie...lol

Plus then Philly (and other teams) are all the more desperate for a goalie with dwindling options.

Rather not trade with TO anyway!

The reality of the situation is that if Toronto is overpaying for Reimer an unproven starter in the league, than that pushes the prices for any other tender available up even higher.

Much like the Streit signing and the first forward UFA to get singed. Ridiculous contracts will start a frenzy which will increase the value of those available through the roof (see Gaustad/Ott overpayments)

In my opinion, Toronto overpaying for Reimer and than potentially dealing with Edmonton is going to set that team back even farther and make it 1 playoff appearance in 9 years and now counting.

Not surprising. It s position the desperately need help in. Reimer s ok, but lacks the consistency of a starter. I still think it may be wiser to move Schneids just for the better return. Lou can do it, he just needs a more reliable defense in front of him.

Hopefully the devils get bernier, luongo goes to philly/nyi/florida and nonis is left holding his nonuts!

Reimer isn't a starter he lucked out in a shortened season and got owned in the last 10 mins of game 7, one of the worst choke jobs by a goalie i have ever seen....if it was luongo in net the east coast media would still be talking about it! Cause it's toronto they define it as a "learning experience"...learning what? that Reimer is overrated and toronto doesn't have a starting number 1!

Nonis could have had luongo for cheap and they would have taken out the bruins...but his cockiness got him exactly what he deserved.

That' right Reimer's rebound control wasn't great in that Game seven versus Boston, and He got beat on a long screened shot. Nonis was saying He was looking for an experienced Goalie. Reimer is tradeable if they want an upgrade. I can see Calgary being in the market for a Goalie likeReimer. I can still see Luongo being a possibily in Toronto but Vancouver would have to take back some Salary, or maybe a Player They really don't want. One of their defencemen maybe.

What has Bernier proved thus far that would warrant TO making a "huge bid" for him?

He's never played more than 25 games, and this season was his only season with strong stats (where he only played 14 games).

It'll be interesting to see what this "huge bid" consists of.

Fans jumping the gun again. Why is it whenever ANY move is made there's always someone saying way to go Gillis you should have been in kn that but you blew it! There are 29 other teams in the league, all which have their own transactions, signings, trades etc, and no, they don't always have to involve the Canucks.

I don't think you can criticize Gillis for the way he has handled the goalie situation just because Toronto is interested in Bernier, his situation is completely different from Luongo's. At this point Gillis hasn't blown anything (yet). Lets wait until the season starts and see where Luongo is before we criticize at the start of summer.

Archived