The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Just noticed that Hunter has a late birthday (October 13th, 1994). I can't believe I missed that! :sadno:

That means he qualifies for the 2014-15 AHL season (he will turn 20 in 2014). He's a maximum one year away from pro hockey (assuming he doesn't make the NHL this season).

Same eligibility track as Brendan Gaunce (both are 1994 born).

So even if his development takes some time, we could at least start seeing him get call-ups pretty soon.

All this time I've been thinking of him as a regular 18-year-old (1995 born) from the 2013 Draft class. Didn't realize he'd already played 3 seasons with the Hat and was turning 19 this year.

Obviously, this is only news to me but as such, it makes me happy. :P

Gaunce could play for Utica this season?

I really like the Bigger/Faster Tyler Ennis comparison that TSN made.

From the same Junior team, both were eligible for the AHL after one more junior season.

Pretty much identical stats, although Shinkaruk had 2 big seasons prior to his draft and Ennis broke out in his draft year.

They both have similar celly's too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlQ7em1r00

Do you recongnize who passes him the puck at :47 :P.

Sick hands on that goal by the way..... and a sick pass too ;) .

While watching all of the highlight videos one of my main concerns was that a few of his goals would never go in on NHL goalies, the skill he showed was excellent though and if he can continue to improve then he should be a surefire NHL'er.

As I've said a bunch in this thread, I jumped up off my couch and cheered when we picked him, a total steal!

I can hardly wait to see this kid in 2 yrs in a canucks uniform, he still has some growing to do and with another 20 pounds on him to bring him up to 200 pounds? woooohoooo!!! Strength along with those set of hands? wow! Feaster saying he has a attitude problem? The kid is just super confident in his abilities and what's wrong with that? If that was mistaken for a attitude problem then it's fine by me!!! Bring it on in Vancouver Hunter, welcome aboard!

I can hardly wait to see this kid in 2 yrs in a canucks uniform, he still has some growing to do and with another 20 pounds on him to bring him up to 200 pounds? woooohoooo!!! Strength along with those set of hands? wow! Feaster saying he has a attitude problem? The kid is just super confident in his abilities and what's wrong with that? If that was mistaken for a attitude problem then it's fine by me!!! Bring it on in Vancouver Hunter, welcome aboard!

One of the Vc strength is the team dynamics, humble players like the Sedins tends to straighten these kids up especally if they intially fail to produce at their junior pace...it's a sort of lets stop and think moment for them

One of the Vc strength is the team dynamics, humble players like the Sedins tends to straighten these kids up especally if they intially fail to produce at their junior pace...it's a sort of lets stop and think moment for them

Thing is, he DOES seem humble/like pretty good kid. I think he's just exuberant which some might confuse with cockiness. The kid just has sunshine shooting out his arse is all IMO :lol:

While watching all of the highlight videos one of my main concerns was that a few of his goals would never go in on NHL goalies, the skill he showed was excellent though and if he can continue to improve then he should be a surefire NHL'er.

As I've said a bunch in this thread, I jumped up off my couch and cheered when we picked him, a total steal!

a couple of goals in juniors that wouldn't have went in on NHL goalies shouldn't be a cause for concern. can't let dimes trip up dollars and hunter is moooneeeeyyy.

Thing is, he DOES seem humble/like pretty good kid. I think he's just exuberant which some might confuse with cockiness. The kid just has sunshine shooting out his arse is all IMO :lol:

i agree. having lofty goals and expectations isn't a bad thing. but there are so few cocky players in the NHL (compared to other major sports) that that could have something to do with it. i don't know about anyone else, but its refreshing to hear someone project something other than "i'm just happy to be here, i'm going to work hard and see what happens."

Archived