The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

We finally have some good prospects and you guys want to trade some of them? Cassels ain't going nowwhere.

Exactly, the last poster thinks Cassels is an "elite" 3rd liner now just wait until he gets someone to pass to and watch an "elite" second line centre come popping out.

Cole is better then his dad, which is saying a lot.

We need a dman and the only way to get a stud D is to draft one high or get really lucky i.e edler. I'd do Cassels for 8th overall straight up. Cassels looks like he will be an elite third liner but a top 1-2 Dman is more value able.

The problem is that when trying to draft one high you STILL have to get lucky. Somehow we've all been duped into thinking a high draft pick automatically turns into a great NHL'er.

One poster recently said we'd be LUDICROUS not to take that deal. But look at the last 12 picks at the 8th spot. You're just as likely to get somebody that's currently playing in Switzerland as one that's playing in the NHL.

Is there anyone in those draft years at 8th overall that FOR SURE you would trade Cassels for right now? Coburn? He'd be great for the next couple of years and then retire with the rest of our core. Couturier? I'd say he looks to be doing right now what Cassels projects to do down the line, so yeah, I'd do that one.

If we could trade Cassels for a true stud D-man I'd do it too, but there is not a high likelihood we'd find him at the 8th spot.

I wonder what Dal Colle is going to do without Cassels on the PP? I think his numbers might go down next year if he goes back to Junior which I expect he will.

the islanders are famous for rushing prospects. Josh Bailey Says hi. Makes sense for him to go back to Jr. But i bet they call him up.

the islanders are famous for rushing prospects. Josh Bailey Says hi. Makes sense for him to go back to Jr. But i bet they call him up.

Islanders don't really rush prospects. Otherwise griffen reinhart would have been a regular already and nino wouldn't have requested a trade. Anders Lee was also ready this year but got screwed being sent down to start the year. Only injury got him back on the team and his play was so good it forced them to keep him on the big team.

Exactly, the last poster thinks Cassels is an "elite" 3rd liner now just wait until he gets someone to pass to and watch an "elite" second line centre come popping out.

Cole is better then his dad, which is saying a lot.

I'm obviously REALLY high on Cassels and I don't think he'll tail off as he hits better competition, I think he's actually going to be a really good NHL'er.

I don't think I'd crystal ball a ceiling above his dad though. Andrew Cassels wasn't a star, but he was a really good player.

I think we'll like the tenacity of Cole's game better, but it's hard to imagine him being a 1-2 line centre like his dad.

Who knows though, if he maxed out as a 50 point tenacious shutdown 2nd line centreman, maybe that's better than a 1-2 tweener who scores a bit more.

Islanders don't really rush prospects. Otherwise griffen reinhart would have been a regular already and nino wouldn't have requested a trade. Anders Lee was also ready this year but got screwed being sent down to start the year. Only injury got him back on the team and his play was so good it forced them to keep him on the big team.

is that a joke? Nino played 55 games for the islanders in 2012 on the fourth line and had 1 point. They stalled his development bt a year easily Possibly more. Thats the definition of rushing a prospect.

is that a joke? Nino played 55 games for the islanders in 2012 on the fourth line and had 1 point. They stalled his development bt a year easily Possibly more. Thats the definition of rushing a prospect.

That was some good nhl experience for him early to give him a taste. I don't believe in the rushing prospects theory that can stall or ruin development and think it's a myth. Talent wins out in the end. Gilbert brule would not have become a star if he got to the NHL later. The same goes for Sam Gagner.

Those two are always the prime examples to bring up when talking about rushing prospects. I don't believe like a couple of years in the AHL for them would have turned them into stars in the NHL. They just weren't good enough to reach that level in the end. If a player is going to be a star, he'll get there whether "rushed" or not. Talent will always win out as long as they're dedicated enough or you can be lazy like phil kessel, but talent still wins out there. The rushing theory is just an excuse for players not living up to expectations, instead of admitting the expectations may have been wrong.

That was some good nhl experience for him early to give him a taste. I don't believe in the rushing prospects theory that can stall or ruin development and think it's a myth. Talent wins out in the end. Gilbert brule would not have become a star if he got to the NHL later. The same goes for Sam Gagner.

Those two are always the prime examples to bring up when talking about rushing prospects. I don't believe like a couple of years in the AHL for them would have turned them into stars in the NHL. They just weren't good enough to reach that level in the end. If a player is going to be a star, he'll get there whether "rushed" or not. Talent will always win out as long as they're dedicated enough or you can be lazy like phil kessel, but talent still wins out there. The rushing theory is just an excuse for players not living up to expectations, instead of admitting the expectations may have been wrong.

I dono if it's talent that wins out or work ethic. Talent is more of a given ability, versus the ability to learn and apply ones self to a skill.

It's the same reason we signed MacStew, work ethic can be > talent

I dono if it's talent that wins out or work ethic. Talent is more of a given ability, versus the ability to learn and apply ones self to a skill.

It's the same reason we signed MacStew, work ethic can be > talent

I think you do need both. Just saying there can be exceptions like phil kessel with no work ethic, but his talent still makes him so good. Also, I was talking more star ability, since the term usually refers to top draft picks. Like you don't hear about rushing a 7th round pick as ruining him. There are countless examples of hard work over talent paying off like burrows or other grinder type players in the league. I just don't think "rushing" a prospect can damage either. A player will get to the level he's meant to reach and rushing won't impede that.

you dont believe in the rushing prospects theory? What's your opinion on global warming and vaccinations?

Do you not get why you keep them in the AHL for awhile? To learn your systems against slightly easier competition without the media and all the hype in your face yet. It's a harder adjustment than you'd expect, and only the most skilled players usually can make the NHL in their first season. Also to build strength, adjust to the strength of the older competition, improve on your weaknesses (whether it's skating, your shot, etc.) I could go on and on. The point is, the AHL route is the safer option. The only times where a guy busts in the AHL is if he doesn't produce much year after year and doesn't prove enough to get re-signed. (Or, in some cases gets injured bad enough that he can't play to the strength he had before, but this is a much bigger risk in the NHL because of much bigger and stronger bodies.) Do you think that the guy in that instance would have had any better success in the NHL?

Cassels was named OHL player of the week for last week. Here is the write-up:

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Vancouver Canucks prospect Cole Cassels of the OHL Champion Oshawa Generals is the Pioneer Energy OHL Player of the Week for the playoff week ending May 17 scoring three goals and six assists for nine points in three games.

Cassels helped the Generals capture their record 13th Robertson Cup title and first since 1997 in a five-game series win over the Erie Otters in the 2015 Rogers OHL Championship Series. Cassels recorded points in all five games against the Otters highlighted by three-straight multi-point performances to end the series. He earned third star honours with two goals in Game 3 of the series last Monday night in Erie despite a 4-3 loss, then helped the Generals take a 3-1 series lead back to Oshawa scoring the overtime winner plus two assists as first star of a 6-5 victory in Game 4 on Wednesday. He finished the series by matching a career-high with four assists as part of the 6-2 victory in Game 5 on Friday night securing a berth in the 2015 MasterCard Memorial Cup for the Generals who open the championship on Saturday May 23 against the Rimouski Oceanic.

This of course means that Cassels was the unofficial MVP of the championship series against Erie.

Let's hope he can keep up this level of play at the Memorial Cup.

I think you do need both. Just saying there can be exceptions like phil kessel with no work ethic, but his talent still makes him so good. Also, I was talking more star ability, since the term usually refers to top draft picks. Like you don't hear about rushing a 7th round pick as ruining him. There are countless examples of hard work over talent paying off like burrows or other grinder type players in the league. I just don't think "rushing" a prospect can damage either. A player will get to the level he's meant to reach and rushing won't impede that.

By the time players reach the NHL their skills are near their peak. Player confidence is what is affected by rushing a prospect. These kids go their entire lives being the best of the best, scoring every game, getting used in key situations, to then getting 8-9 minutes a game in the NHL and going on stretch of 10-30 games with out a point. Some kids are mature enough to handle that type of play. They view it as a fail and it destroys their confidence, sometimes to the level that you can't regain it. Brule, Burmistrov, Neideretter, Bailey, connolly, filatov even sbisa were all rushed.

That's why it's best not to rush the players, put little pressure on them, let them mentally mature before throwing them all in. At the NHL level teams don't really have the luxury to slowly bring on a player. They can't afford to have costly mistakes or have a player remain in the roster of things aren't clicking. Thats what the AHL is for, allowing teams to work with players. Players like Shinkaruk, who struggled at the start of the season, that same struggle at the NHL level would have set him back even more. I

Look at Horvat this year, the amount of pressure put on him was next to nothing. He was slowly brought on in the NHL and by the end of the year he was one of canucks best players. If canucks instead, through him out on the first line PP at the start of the year and gave him a ton of pressure and opportunity, there would have been a good chance that he would have got overwhelmed and really down on himself if things weren't clicking. The fact that he was strong defensively and physically built, allowed the canucks to keep him in the line up on the fourth line and use him in certain situations. very few 19 year olds or even 20 years are like him.

There is plenty of evidence of rushing prospects and hurting a players development.

Butthurt he missed out on the Kassian circle-jerk threads with LolClarkson, LaBamba, NuckNit, Elfstroker, and friends. Remember back then, in their obsession they tried to bring him up in every thread.

Aside from Henrik, what other C was better than him by the end of the season... his rookie year, that is?

I hope your bladder is not as weak as your memory.

The problem is that when trying to draft one high you STILL have to get lucky. Somehow we've all been duped into thinking a high draft pick automatically turns into a great NHL'er.

One poster recently said we'd be LUDICROUS not to take that deal. But look at the last 12 picks at the 8th spot. You're just as likely to get somebody that's currently playing in Switzerland as one that's playing in the NHL.

Is there anyone in those draft years at 8th overall that FOR SURE you would trade Cassels for right now? Coburn? He'd be great for the next couple of years and then retire with the rest of our core. Couturier? I'd say he looks to be doing right now what Cassels projects to do down the line, so yeah, I'd do that one.

If we could trade Cassels for a true stud D-man I'd do it too, but there is not a high likelihood we'd find him at the 8th spot.

Whoa there, It's great to see Cassels doing well but he is 19 and still isn't a good 5 on 5 producer on an OHL powerhouse. I like Cassels, but nobody is trading an 8th for him.

Look at Horvat this year, the amount of pressure put on him was next to nothing. He was slowly brought on in the NHL and by the end of the year he was one of canucks best players. If canucks instead, through him out on the first line PP at the start of the year and gave him a ton of pressure and opportunity, there would have been a good chance that he would have got overwhelmed and really down on himself if things weren't clicking. The fact that he was strong defensively and physically built, allowed the canucks to keep him in the line up on the fourth line and use him in certain situations. very few 19 year olds or even 20 years are like him.

There is plenty of evidence of rushing prospects and hurting a players development.

Yeah but the guy I was arguing with said nino was rushed by playing 55 games on the 4th line. By your definition nino wasn't rushed because he wasn't given top line minutes or top pp time. Islanders brought him along slowly. Too slowly for his liking which is why he ended up demanding a trade.

Countless top draft picks like Hugh jessiman, Zach hamill, etc weren't rushed and spent a long time in the AHL and never amounted to nhl players. They just didn't have the talent and skill level to make it. If a player has the talent to make the nhl and be a star he will.

Archived