The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

why would we resign richardson he cant win a faceoff if he tried id rather cassels or gaunce win faceoffs plus hes always injured

Richardson was our 2nd best faceoff guy this season (47.8%) and our best faceoff guy last season (55.2%).

Since joining the Canucks, he's missed 46 regular season games and 1 playoff game due to injury, 38 of which were due to the foot injury he recently had surgery on. In his career, he's missed 82 games due to injury w/ 559 career games played.

Cassels is under 50% in the OHL (though he seems to win the big draws) and Gaunce doesn't even play center at the AHL level, let alone at the NHL level.

Quality analysis, though. You should be a GM some day.

Richardson was our 2nd best faceoff guy this season (47.8%) and our best faceoff guy last season (55.2%).

Since joining the Canucks, he's missed 46 regular season games and 1 playoff game due to injury, 38 of which were due to the foot injury he recently had surgery on. In his career, he's missed 82 games due to injury w/ 559 career games played.

Cassels is under 50% in the OHL (though he seems to win the big draws) and Gaunce doesn't even play center at the AHL level, let alone at the NHL level.

Quality analysis, though. You should be a GM some day.

I don't really see it as a choice, Hank has never been great at faceoffs and Bones is awful at them. Faceoffs were an issue all season, without Richardson it was just ugly. The guy can play so he should be re-signed, we need him. There's other guys that can be moved to make space for youth.

I don't really see it as a choice, Hank has never been great at faceoffs and Bones is awful at them. Faceoffs were an issue all season, without Richardson it was just ugly. The guy can play so he should be re-signed, we need him. There's other guys that can be moved to make space for youth.

Richardson is taken for granted by many. Not only good FO% but produces points and can anchor a line. He has a physical side as well that the Canucks need. He also can play wing. That does not mean he wont be a pre-Draft chip in a deal. That is the case with many on the Canuck roster. How far up the center position is Horvat penciled in to? Probably 3C but if his progression continues I can see him challenging for 2C. How quickly does WD see that happening and does it make either Bonino or Richardson moveable?

In a way I wish people would stop watching junior hockey games, because holy crow talk about not understanding why that doesn't translate to the NHL.

Yeah, like that guy on here who was all over Roland Mckeown's nuts and then he scored seven goals last year and was given up on by the LA Kings to get Sekera. He wasn't even the centre piece in the deal. That guy.

why would we resign richardson he cant win a faceoff if he tried id rather cassels or gaunce win faceoffs plus hes always injured

So he doesn't try to win faceoffs? Richardson had an off year in the dot, but he was still respectable. And has a great year the year before, however I'm in agreement with you, and wouldn't be disappointed if he wasn't resigned

Yeah, like that guy on here who was all over Roland Mckeown's nuts and then he scored seven goals last year and was given up on by the LA Kings to get Sekera. He wasn't even the centre piece in the deal. That guy.

Yes, because Linden Vey's pro game has so far translated well. Maybe people should just stop watching hockey altogether. Not that they actually watched Vey...

Vey was another one of those 'why?' trades. I guess just to appease WD, but even he didn't play him in the playoffs. Just gets in the way of one of our own guys. Hopefully out of the way by the time Cassels or one of our other centers is ready for the big time.

Cassels skating is not bad, he has good top end speed, at least better than most at the junior level. He does need edge work, etc.

What he does have is faster speed than Gretsky, Oates or his Dad...all of whom could pass the puck...just like Cole.

What would you say to a grittier, more defensively sound Henrik?

I seriously think Cole can be our #1 center, actually I think we may have 3 first lines with the Sedins being around until McCann is ready and then:

Shinkaruk / Cassels / Virtanen

Baertschi / Horvat / Grenier

Gaunce / McCann / Kassian

Kenins / Friesen / Dorsett

Where are the goals coming from?

McDavid gave credit to Oshawa and specifically Cassels for their defensive play.

Yes he did. And the praise for Cassels was well-deserved. But I noticed that McDavid is a class act as well as being a great young player. Hate to see him going to Edmonton.

Cassels has done very well and, based on last year's performance, now projects as a good NHL 3C who can play shutdown, PK, take key faceoffs, and provide secondary scoring. That is a great progress for a 3rd round pick --better than most low first rounders.

But let's not kid ourselves. Cassels will have a hard time handling McDavid in the NHL as McDavid is two years younger. By the time they are, say, 22 (McDavid) and 24 (Cassels) I think the situation looks scary.

Yes, because Linden Vey's pro game has so far translated well. Maybe people should just stop watching hockey altogether. Not that they actually watched Vey...

Vey was another one of those 'why?' trades. I guess just to appease WD, but even he didn't play him in the playoffs. Just gets in the way of one of our own guys. Hopefully out of the way by the time Cassels or one of our other centers is ready for the big time.

That kind of comment makes me sick.

He IS one of our own guys, stop talking nonsense. He is 7 months younger than Kasian and has similar point production despite being a 4th round pick.

"The Wakaw, Saskatchewan native is of average size and weight, but delivers above average results in most facets of the game. He is a leader and a grit player who inspires with a solid work ethic. His continued improvement in all three zones and special teams play has helped him raise his stock as a legitimate two-way center option."

He IS one of our own guys, stop talking nonsense. He is 7 months younger than Kasian and has similar point production despite being a 4th round pick.

"The Wakaw, Saskatchewan native is of average size and weight, but delivers above average results in most facets of the game. He is a leader and a grit player who inspires with a solid work ethic. His continued improvement in all three zones and special teams play has helped him raise his stock as a legitimate two-way center option."

i dont understand why vey gets so much hate on cdc.

Because Benning's play all year was to find young players on the cusp to fill in the gap in our prospect backlog? I don't get why people think Vey is some kind of leper compared to Pedan or Clendening.

473645654-cole-cassels-of-the-oshawa-gen

^this picture was on the front page of nhlnumbers.com heading an article on draft analytics, specifically the Prospect Cohort Success Model, using Cassels (among others) as an example.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2015/5/26/draft-analytics-unveiling-the-prospect-cohort-success-model

Complete waste of time. To try and predict a players potential NHL skill level at age 19 or 20 is a total crapshoot. There are just too many ingredients to consider, such as...

Desire, heart, attitude, late bloomer, injury history, how coachable are they, physical limitations at given ages, Hockey IQ and mental aptitude potential

Adam Oates didn't make the NHL fulltime till he was 25 I believe and he blossomed into one of the great playmaking centers of his era. No scientific chart or clinical studies could have ever predicted that. These analytic guys who keep coming out of the woodwork are nothing more than snake oil salesman. The asst GM guy in TO is the best of them all.

Analytics may work for baseball but the NHL is a way different sport and isn't based on odds and percentages. Too many moving parts in a hockey game and it changes much from shift to shift. In baseball a MGR can call a timeout and bring in a lefty to face a left handed batter because the odds are in the pitchers favour in that particular matchup. Hockey is completely different and no one seems to realize that when going over these useless stats. On paper anything is possible. On the ice, not so much.

Because Benning's play all year was to find young players on the cusp to fill in the gap in our prospect backlog? I don't get why people think Vey is some kind of leper compared to Pedan or Clendening.

Vey was in the top 15 rookie scoring I believe. Horvat higher. IMHO Vey showed a lot this past season. A critical season coming up for him to show he can continue progressing.

Pedan: I have never seen. I get concerned when I hear his season ended with a 3rd concussion during his career. Not good.

Clendening: My only viewing of his play was his Canuck tenure this season. Frankly not overly impressed but he is a NHL rookie so patience is always needed.

Enough of Vey in the Cassels thread, but that quote is ridiculous.

Archived