The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good will Dallas be this season?

bigpush

I have been looking at how the new conferences will play out and the main thing that has stuck out to me is that IMO Dallas is now in an easier division and are a much improved team.

They were playing SJS,LA,ANH,PHX lots last year and now will be playing mostly against CHI,STL,NAS,WIN,COL,MIN. Other than CHI and STL I don't think that division will be great, MIN might have a solid year but WIN, and COL are pretty weak.

They have a pretty wicked group of forwards with both veteran role players and high end youth. Seguin, Peverly, Horcoff, Nishushkin, Chiasson (full season) and one of Ritchie or Faksa are all additions IMO this season. There has been talk of Benn switching back to the wing to play with Seguin but he had a really solid season as a centre and I think it will make sense to spread out the offense. I think they also have one of the best groups of bottom 6 forwards in the league as well.

Whitney Benn Chiasson

Cole Seguin Nishushkin

Eakin Peverly Ritchie/Faksa

Roussel Fiddler Horcoff

Garbutt,Peterson

The back-end is filled with older players but guys who are very mobile. They also have some massive young defenders who look to be either ready( Dillon) or close to the big show ( Oleksiak, Gaunce and Connaughton). People on this board might not agree with Connaughton but he put up pretty impressive numbers for Texas in AHL after being traded. 9gp 2G 4 A in regular season and 9gp 2G 3 A in playoffs.

Goligoski Robidias

Dillon Daley

Gonchar Rome

Oleksiak/Benn

Lehtonen is a legit #1 goalie who can steal games and seems to of gotten over some of his injury troubles. Ellis and Nilstorp are servicable backups and Jack Campbell put up decent numbers in his first full year in the AHL.

They also picked up the most experience coach availible this off-season in Lindy Ruff who I think might end up being the most understated addition they have made.

Anyways I like how this team is built and think they are going to be pretty good this year (depending on how good the young players are ) and very good moving forward. I think they make the playoffs, come 2nd in their division and surprise a lot of teams with their skill.

I don't see where you think Dallas has improved? They got rid of 3 key players on their team at the deadline basically signalling a rebuild. They trade for Segger who had a down year, I don't really think they're going in the right path.

They also have to face the likes of Minnesota, Chicago, & St. Louis, who in my opinion, are miles better than the team Dallas has on paper, as well as a Colorado team that could surprise & Winnipeg who is hungry for a playoff spot (I doubt they'll make it though).

Lehtonen has been up and down in his career, he's been decent at best, I wouldn't peg him as a legit #1 goaltender. He's come off his best season yes, but last season it seemed like every goaltender had a "best season".

They will be at or on a par with the canucks. This is a young hungry team with some cap space and something serious to prove and a bona fide franchise center in Seguin who is going to absolutely break out one season very soon here plus Nicushkin a revamped D core and some serious help out front. If they could lose Cole and bring in someone younger i`d peg them in the 6-8 spot in the west.

I don't see where you think Dallas has improved? They got rid of 3 key players on their team at the deadline basically signalling a rebuild. They trade for Segger who had a down year, I don't really think they're going in the right path.

They also have to face the likes of Minnesota, Chicago, & St. Louis, who in my opinion, are miles better than the team Dallas has on paper, as well as a Colorado team that could surprise & Winnipeg who is hungry for a playoff spot (I doubt they'll make it though).

Lehtonen has been up and down in his career, he's been decent at best, I wouldn't peg him as a legit #1 goaltender. He's come off his best season yes, but last season it seemed like every goaltender had a "best season".

The new division means nothing in terms of opponents. They'll play their own division almost as much as they play ours.

I'm thinking that they'll battle with Nashville for the final spot in their division, though ultimately missing the playoffs.

St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, and Nashville are all better teams imo.

How exactly does the playoff seeding go? Is it top 3 in each division + 2 wildcards? If its that they may have some difficulty makin the playoffs, here's how I see the Western conference playing out:

Pacific: LA, Anaheim, Vancouver

Central: Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota/Dallas/Nashville

However I don't think those last three will be better than San Jose and Phoenix, who I think will take the wildcard spots. Maybe one of them could beat out Phoenix, but we'll see.

They look really good on paper. If they stack their lines maybe they'll do this?

Whitney - Seguin - Benn (Tyler with Jamie and Whitney mean trouble for the other team)

Nichushkin - Eakin - Chiasson (young, skilled line-- two big guys with skill centered by a gritty play-maker)

Cole - Horcoff - Peverley (veterans with physicality, grit and some skill)

Roussel - Fiddler - Garbutt (pretty good energy line)

How can you not have Seguin and Benn together? That would be a deadly combo.

And I think alot of it depends on how ready Nichushkin is. If he comes in and is an instant star, suddenly their offense is pretty scary.

They still have a questionable D though.

How can you not have Seguin and Benn together? That would be a deadly combo.

And I think alot of it depends on how ready Nichushkin is. If he comes in and is an instant star, suddenly their offense is pretty scary.

They still have a questionable D though.

They'll make a strong push for the playoffs, but will just miss out. And you have the lines wrong, here's what I would do:

Benn - Seguin - Chiasson

Whitney - Horcoff/Eakin - Nichushkin

Cole - Eakin/Horcoff/Peverley - Peverley/Eakin

Roussel - Faksa - Fiddler

Pretty solid line up.

I have been looking at how the new conferences will play out and the main thing that has stuck out to me is that IMO Dallas is now in an easier division and are a much improved team.

They were playing SJS,LA,ANH,PHX lots last year and now will be playing mostly against CHI,STL,NAS,WIN,COL,MIN. Other than CHI and STL I don't think that division will be great, MIN might have a solid year but WIN, and COL are pretty weak.

They have a pretty wicked group of forwards with both veteran role players and high end youth. Seguin, Peverly, Horcoff, Nishushkin, Chiasson (full season) and one of Ritchie or Faksa are all additions IMO this season. There has been talk of Benn switching back to the wing to play with Seguin but he had a really solid season as a centre and I think it will make sense to spread out the offense. I think they also have one of the best groups of bottom 6 forwards in the league as well.

Whitney Benn Chiasson

Cole Seguin Nishushkin

Eakin Peverly Ritchie/Faksa

Roussel Fiddler Horcoff

Garbutt,Peterson

The back-end is filled with older players but guys who are very mobile. They also have some massive young defenders who look to be either ready( Dillon) or close to the big show ( Oleksiak, Gaunce and Connaughton). People on this board might not agree with Connaughton but he put up pretty impressive numbers for Texas in AHL after being traded. 9gp 2G 4 A in regular season and 9gp 2G 3 A in playoffs.

Goligoski Robidias

Dillon Daley

Gonchar Rome

Oleksiak/Benn

Lehtonen is a legit #1 goalie who can steal games and seems to of gotten over some of his injury troubles. Ellis and Nilstorp are servicable backups and Jack Campbell put up decent numbers in his first full year in the AHL.

They also picked up the most experience coach availible this off-season in Lindy Ruff who I think might end up being the most understated addition they have made.

Anyways I like how this team is built and think they are going to be pretty good this year (depending on how good the young players are ) and very good moving forward. I think they make the playoffs, come 2nd in their division and surprise a lot of teams with their skill.

Archived