The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

My Team:

Kunitz Crosby Stamkos -> Proven Chemistry + arguably best sniper in the game

Perry Getzlaf Tavares --> Dominant Offensive juggernaut with size, finish, and grit

Couture Toews E. Staal--> Shutdown 3rd line (likely get more playtime than 2nd line against top-lines)

Giroux Bergeron Richards --> 2nd Shutdown Line with speed, F/O winning, sandpaper

St. Louis --> Last year's Art Ross winner and playing for Stevie Y will get a look

Keith-Subban --> Norris Winners and best L/R combo

Hamhuis-Weber --> Best friends and will look a lot like Suter/Weber from before

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo --> Established Chemistry, well-rounded pairing

Seabrook --> May slot in for Subban given proven chemistry

Luongo --> Previous gold medal winner, but the way price is playing has a short leash

Price --> Playing incredibly well right now

Smith --> Also reliable in case of injuries to 1/2

**I Realize Stamkos is injured, but he's a super-human athlete and will be back for the games I believe**

I don't mind it, but I'd rather have St. Louis in the line up instead of Kunitz. He would be a better fit for the first line IMO.

My ideal line up: (if we're going for chemistry)

St. Louis - Crosby - Stamkos

Sharp - Toews - Tavares

Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

Benn - Bergeron - Seguin

Keith - Doughty

Hamhuis - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Luongo

Price

Harding

My lineup without Stamkos:

Tavares-Crosby-Nash

Staal-Toews-Giroux

Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry

Richards-Bergeron-Couture

Sharp/Benn

Doughty-Weber

Keith-Subban

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Letang/Vlasic

Price

Luongo

Smith

If you can't play defense you won't be on the team. Only way Canada will win is with strong defense.

Anyone else surprised Steen isn't invited?

Underrated player above all else.

pretty sure he has already played for the Swedish national team

yeah, steen already played for sweden in the under 18's, and 3 times for the WJC's, he'll forever have to play for Sweden in olympic competition as a result. IOC rules are rules.

No way Bouwmeester is on my team.

I know he's big and skates well, but he sucks. I keep hearing how good he is, but he has never impressed me, and I watch a lot of games. I'm sick of the hype.

No grit, not good defensively, mediocre offensively. How long can reputation carry a guy?

I'd put at least 10 Canadian defensemen ahead of him. I don't care which way he shoots.

Flat-out not good enough.

My Team:

Perry Getzlaf Tavares --> Dominant Offensive juggernaut with size, finish, and grit

Couture Toews E. Staal--> Shutdown 3rd line (likely get more playtime than 2nd line against top-lines)

Giroux Bergeron Richards --> 2nd Shutdown Line with speed, F/O winning, sandpaper

St. Louis --> Last year's Art Ross winner and playing for Stevie Y will get a look

Luongo --> Previous gold medal winner, but the way price is playing has a short leash

**I Realize Stamkos is injured, but he's a super-human athlete and will be back for the games I believe**

love your lineups only thing I would change is having Ward or Harding as the third goalie

these are my pics

Perry Crosby Stamkos crazy ass talent on 1st line

NashGetzlaf Tavares snipers

Benn Toews Stlouis

Lucic Bergeron E Staal beast 4th gritty

Sharp/Thornton

Keith-Pietrangelo

Hamhuis-Weber

Doughty-Subban

Letang/Seabrook

Luongo

Price

Crawford

crawford and stamkos being injured really hope they are healthy for games does anyone know when the team roster is named?

My Team:

I like everything except Giroux shouldn't be ahead of St. Louis. I'd say Thornton is out playing Couture and with his past experience in both the Olympics and Playoffs, size, and playmaking ability, I think he gets the edge.

I have to laugh whenever I hear people talk about needing a power forward and using Milan Lucic in the Olympics. Got to say now, nothing could be worse. Keep in mind, in 1998 and 2006, Canada sent grit and power players to European ice - only to get embarassed badly and fail to medal. You don't want to make that mistake again. To that end, the only big guys I would send are Shea Weber, Jonathan Toews, and Ryan Getzlaf - because these guys are mobile enough to skate the big ice.

Also have to laugh a little at Carey Price making the team - no offense, I like the guy. He's talented and has a likable personality, but he just has nothing to show for in the big games. In 30 NHL playoff games, he's a woeful 9-17-3 and until last year, Habs fans could blame him for holding them back. The kid hasn't been in an international competition since the 2007 Juniors. In fact, I would pick Cam Ward and Devan Dubnyk over Price - one guy has won the Cup as a rookie, the other is undefeated in 7 WCs.

The Oilers' guys Hall and Eberle should have the chance. Those guys are two of the best skaters in the league and absolutely essential on the Olympic ice. Skate them with Toews - it'd be like his own Chicago line with Kane.

And Hamhuis certainly ain't getting no love (except from Canucks). Canada needs a left-handed guy and he is really one of the best blueliners in the league, capable of playing there.

Archived