The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

If Luo has admitted being told not to talk about that meeting, and MG spoke to him right after the trade, how do you know they didn't ask him not to talk to the media in general? And why would he? To make this ungrateful fanbase feel better after all but running him out of town? I'm sick of seeing the same people who said he should "just shut up" whenever he said something they didn't like now complaining he's not saying anything to soothe their little worries. Oh, has Luo not given an interview during his VACATION time to say how delighted he is to come back and play for the fans who boo'ed him and the media who kicked him when he was down every chance they got? Well boo hoo, suck it up!

I don't know why he got a new agent and neither do you. For all we know the agents went after him, selling him on how they could help rather than him seeking them out. People are making a big deal out of something they have too little information to ascribe such importance to.

You're welcome to any opinion or theory you want, just remember your "standpoint" is from around the corner, down the block and behind a fence. So why be so negative and just assume the worst, especially of a guy who has never shown he's anything other than professional and who has never been described as anything else by the people who actually know him?

Didn't Coho swap agents until he was traded?

Jon Bernier fired his agent in June, switched to CAA and was traded soon after.

But players can also change agents 'just because.'

If indeed Luongo still wants to force a trade, he still needs to find a team that wants his contract. Not easy, no matter how many players his new agent represents.

What? JP's gonna Blackmail the Canucks? 'You trade Lu or you lose the twins?' Okay then.

I view the timing as a positive. If Lu really really wanted out, he would've swapped agents before his pow-wow with Gillis. And probably before the draft.

Firing Lupien now means that Gillis perhaps revealed something that Lu didn't like about Lupien.

Anyway, Lu's been trolling us for awhile now. It's interesting. I hope it ends well.

Yes some do. Some GMs allow their agents to try and find trades, or talk to one specific team/or a few. Edm just allowed Horcoff to do it, Gillis allowed Lupien/Luongo to talk to Tallon last summer, Gonchar got the same treatment this summer.

Murphs being saying since day 1 that Luongo wants out, this article isn't much of a surprise.

Talk about pot calling the kettle black. I've never been of the stance "run him out of town he sucks". I've been of the opinion "he wants out, he's made it clear, so let him go". Nor have I said he should just shup up, not sure why you're trying to lump a mass of people into one mold. And why are you bashing the 'fanbse' for all of this? It makes no sense, there are lots of Luongo supporters. Then there are those who don't. It's called sports. It's not unlike any other player from any other sports team.

Of course I don't know know the exact reason he got a new agent. Never claimed I did. I'm not hockeyyinsiderr. It's called "my opinion" which is something we post on these boards. And why do you assume someone who doesn't have the same opinion as you is "negative" - just cause they have a different opinion? It's not logical. It's perfectly reasonable to look at this entire situation and view this 'agent change' about more than just media relations.

What's the point? If the Panthers don't want his contract, what is Barry gonna do any differently?

Gillis also would have to okay any trade, which he likely wouldn't do.

I doubt Barry was hired to help convince other GMs to take Lu's contract.

The best option Lu has right now if he still really wants out, is to play a season, build his stock back up, help mentor Lack or Eriksson into a starter, and then the possibility of a trade is more likely in a year.

LMAO at those crying to stop the speculation :) This is merely one aspect that we (at least most of us) love about this sport. Why call an end to discussions during a mostly boring offseason when this goalie drama has been nothing but pure gold as a Nucks fan?!

The timing of this is weird. Lou is like the Alfred Hitchcock of offseason drama suspense!

Did anyone else watch the GMMG interview after the Summer Summit? He was sweatin, his face went even more red, and EVEN HE STILL DOESN'T KNOW what Lou is going to do.

Sorry, but if our GM still doesn't know what our only #1 goalie is going to do, added to todays agent drama, meez thinks there is something up and it is worth the scenario speculating.

Speculate away fellow fans... speculate away :towel:

I'm sorry if I seemed to be lumping you in unfairly with some other fans, but I was more talking in general about how fans have treated Luo, which even MG talked about as having a real impact on Luo and being part of why he may be less than happy staying here. Just like any other sport, too much negativity can weigh on an athlete and be counterproductive. It's called reality.

And yes, I do think it's negative to assume him not saying anything and him getting a new agent are because he's trying to weasel out of his contract or force a trade without any actual evidence. "Reasonable" is basing your opinions on facts, not assumptions.

Haha his vacation!!!

So you are saying it wouldn't be 1,000,000,000 times easier to take 30secs out of his Vacation to send out a simple tweet like "can't wait for training camp"

That is all he needs to do but instead he choses this awkward silence.

He is either not wanting to play or creating Drama like he has for the past 15 months.

Either way I'm tired of it.

There are numerous ways CAA could negotiate with the Canucks than Lupien couldn't. Being the biggest agency, they are really the last people any team wants to piss off, as this could end up having long term ramifications for the team. One example would be JP Barry calling up Aquilini and telling him that the way MG has treated Luongo has created a rift between the Canucks and CAA, as such, no CAA represented players will be signing in Vancouver until MG is fired. Obviously a top agency would not want long term beef with any NHL team, this would hurt their ability to provide the best representation to their clients, but a short term push could probably get a GM fired. Another example could be convincing the Sedins they should go back to Sweden and showcase their talents there before they become too old (the Sedins were once planning to do exactly this).

Isn't there a clause in Lou's contract that states in years 5 and 7 if one party is unhappy about Luongo's play or want to go a different direction (team option) or if Luo didn't like the direction the team was going he could ask for a trade (lou's option)?

I can't remember what year belongs to team or to Lou, but they each have the option in a different year.

anyway, perhaps he is thinking of using his option and wants a more high octane bargaining rep. who knows, or maybe it's just what people on here are suggesting.

Isn't there a clause in Lou's contract that states in years 5 and 7 if one party is unhappy about Luongo's play or want to go a different direction (team option) or if Luo didn't like the direction the team was going he could ask for a trade (lou's option)?

I can't remember what year belongs to team or to Lou, but they each have the option in a different year.

anyway, perhaps he is thinking of using his option and wants a more high octane bargaining rep. who knows, or maybe it's just what people on here are suggesting.

i think its obvious he feels that his agent could have prevented this predicament .. nothing more , nothing less .. we tend to forget that these hockey players are just normal people with normal lives .. and the biggest issue may be a family matter .. happy wife , happy life .. remember folks ,, hes just like any one of us .

Archived