The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

Lol mountain out of a molehill.

None of you know what goes on behind the scenes... For all u know his old agent retired, or theres a personal problem completely unrelated to the Canucks or the last couple years.

Lu will be back better than ever, tired of reading these pathetic comments and negative posts.

Ok... u guys know ill support lui no matter what. But wtf is this bull?

The agent got him the contract and his commission should be paid until the end. Pretty classless imo to fire a guy that got him paid big bucks.

Unless there's something we're not being told, this isn't right.

I never said anything about Luongos silence regarding his new agent. I said Luongos silence regarding 'the trade'- 2 different issues. Nor did I said he's trying to weasel out of his contract or force a trade - I posted a link where Murph speculated similar things. I said those options are 'possibilities'. Just as I said it's a possibility he's getting a new agent for media relations - though I believe it's highly unlikely.

My 'assumption' is based on facts. Luongos said for the last year he wants out - in many different ways. At no point over the last yr did he want to stay in Vancouver past the 12/13 season. It seems your 'assumption' is the one based on unreasonable ideas.

i think its obvious he feels that his agent could have prevented this predicament .. nothing more , nothing less .. we tend to forget that these hockey players are just normal people with normal lives .. and the biggest issue may be a family matter .. happy wife , happy life .. remember folks ,, hes just like any one of us .

Maybe his previous agent advised him badly. Gillis made a vague comment about how the situation could have been resolved all along... maybe there was a trade that Luongo vetoed because his agent promised a better option,

No idea why else he would change agents? He is not negotiating a contract any time in the near future.

You don't know that it's his choice. The one article said he replied in email that the team asked him not to speak about his meeting with MG. Maybe the team and/or his agents advised silence in general. Maybe he just doesn't feel like talking to the media that rips him apart every chance they get, especially when he knows that anything he says will be over analyzed and used against him.

And the only reason he would tweet something lame like "can't wait for training camp" (which no other player says!) would be to make the whiners here feel better, but why should he? He doesn't owe us anything and the only ones making the silence awkward are us.

The fans and media are the ones creating drama. So, if you're tired of it, stop contributing to it by accusing him of creating drama simply by not saying anything and instead just sit back and wait and see what happens.

I think the real problem is that Canucks fans think they're entitled to every little piece of information. And when they don't get any they automatically go into panic mode and assume the worst. :lol:

People need to stop saying this is a clear indication of anything. No one knows what's going on behind the scenes, and no one can pretend to. Just wait and see what happens like the rest of us and stop trying to stir up more controversy that might not even be there.

Changing agents happens in hockey you know. It's not always because they're not happy with their situation. Sometimes they just feel like their relationship with their agents has run their course, and they want a fresh perspective.

It is also possible that Lu was unhappy with his agent for advising him to take a long term contract that would significantly limit his chance to be moved in the future if he wanted. For all we know Lu wanted a shorter term contract and Lupiens pushed for long term stability, and gave him bad advice about the possibility of a future trade.

Isn't there a clause in Lou's contract that states in years 5 and 7 if one party is unhappy about Luongo's play or want to go a different direction (team option) or if Luo didn't like the direction the team was going he could ask for a trade (lou's option)?

I can't remember what year belongs to team or to Lou, but they each have the option in a different year.

anyway, perhaps he is thinking of using his option and wants a more high octane bargaining rep. who knows, or maybe it's just what people on here are suggesting.

Yes, thus the connecting word "and" that I used when I said, "him not saying anything and him getting a new agent". Obviously I was referencing it as 2 different issues.

True, you didn't come out and say you think he's trying to get out of his contract or demand a new trade, you just implied it. Unless I'm missing something and you're meaning to imply something else when you say you think it's "highly unlikely" that he got a new agent just for media relations?

Here are the facts: Luo was unhappy with how he was treated after the SCF loss and wanted to be traded. He wasn't. He's a professional who wants to play and is under contract to do so here. The new CBA makes his contract unattractive to other teams, which he obviously knows because he infamously said, "My contract sucks. That's what the problem is. It's a big factor in trading me and probably why I'm still here." (Of course, he also went on to say in that same press conference, "It's been an emotional ride the last year. It's more the unknown that has gotten to me more than anything else. I'm proud to be a Vancouver Canuck, I love it here, I love my teammates, and there's nothing wrong with that.")

In the Summer Summit Gillis said, "What's happened I think is remarkable and I think he's really enthused about the next steps and what the future's going to hold." And when asked if he was comfortable where "Luo's head is", MG said, "Yeah, I was comfortable there. Like I said, we have a really good relationship. ... I still think Roberto's working his way through how everything occurred and what happened. I think he's going to be fine. I think he's a consummate professional. I think he'll be the starting goalie for Canada's Olympic team and he'll be our starting goalie. And I feel very optimistic about it."

Those are the facts. Assuming anything else until we know more is just that -- assumption.

I got the following information from "Capgeek" in respect to Lou's NTC. I've copied and pasted the following:

Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)

So, read into that what you will. I expect him to play in Vancouver. Pending how the year goes, then he may wish to leave. Knowing GMMG is a guy who tries to make this a "player friendly" organization, I assume he may wish to assist Roberto. The new agent is to work with those potential five teams to see if he can get interest. If he has a great year, those teams may be interested. But then, who knows, Lou may still like it here and we may put out a winning product. As others have said, let's wait and see.

I bet this is as big a reason as any for the timing of this agent switch.

The only thing I have doubts about is the comment you make about Gillis. He doesn't care about what players think or feel and he is more than willing to say so in lawyer speak.

- There have been reports saying that (even after Lou talked with Gillis) that Lou is still unhappy. Maybe it was his old agent leaking false information?

This situation is so bizarre. While reports are being spread that Lou is still unhappy, GMMG continues to say that Lou seems fine. MG sure makes it sound like Lou will return. Maybe MG is saying that stuff to pressure Lou into staying when, in reality, Lou has been telling him he wants out? Drama!!

Maybe it means nothing at all :P

I'm not exactly sure how agents are compensated but I would imagine they will make money from future endorsement deals. Plus the intangible benefits they get in the hockey world by adding another top name NHL client.

I am assuming here but I would expect that there are many other aspects of a players financial business that the agency will be handling for him and that they are paid an annual type of % of assets fee, etc. for those services. Plus any commissions they will get for future endorsement deals which can be very big dollars for players with the right opportunities.

The first opt-out clause in Luongo's deal has to be part of this.

As already posted, Luongo has the option to trigger a trade following the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. If he triggers this clause, between the final game of 2013-14 and July 15th 2014, the Canucks have agreed, as one of the terms of the contract, to accommodate his request.

I've always read this clause to suggest that the Canucks must trade Luongo, if he makes a trade request during the opt-out period.

Here's how the opt-out clause was reported on back in 2009:

This deal includes several “escape clauses,” mitigating risk by giving both parties an out if they’re unhappy.

The first comes five years into the extension. If Luongo isn’t pleased with where the team is at, or where it’s heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads — one year after the Sedins’ current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.

Haha his vacation!!!

So you are saying it wouldn't be 1,000,000,000 times easier to take 30secs out of his Vacation to send out a simple tweet like "can't wait for training camp"

That is all he needs to do but instead he choses this awkward silence.

He is either not wanting to play or creating Drama like he has for the past 15 months.

Either way I'm tired of it.

Archived