The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

The first opt-out clause in Luongo's deal has to be part of this.

As already posted, Luongo has the option to trigger a trade following the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. If he triggers this clause, between the final game of 2013-14 and July 15th 2014, the Canucks have agreed, as one of the terms of the contract, to accommodate his request.

I've always read this clause to suggest that the Canucks must trade Luongo, if he makes a trade request during the opt-out period.

Here's how the opt-out clause was reported on back in 2009:

http://www.faceoff.c...85-6c328be5e1d1

Note that it says they will "accommodate the request by moving Luongo" and not that they will "try to move Luongo" (as was the situation over the past couple years or so). Of course, this is just a newspaper report and it doesn't report the actual binding language contained in the contract clauses. However, from everything I read back when the deal was signed, I think that the quote is accurate and the Canucks put themselves on the hook for a trade as part of a binding agreement (if triggered by Luongo during the prescribed period).

After everything that's happened, if Luongo wants to force the issue, he'll almost certainly need strong representation because I don't imagine Gillis will want to go into binding trade negotiations where the five potential partners are aware that the Canucks must, in the end, accept a trade that's on the table. This is a very weak bargaining position (and one that the Canucks might try to avoid using various legal maneuvers).

Now Luongo might not necessarily decide to use this clause once the 2014 offseason rolls around. However, if he wants to at the very least keep that option open, there's no better agency out there than CAA Sports to force the Canucks to honour the agreement.

I'm not saying it's the only reason for the agency change, but I can certainly see part of this move being that Luongo believes that his deal guarantees him a strong position in 2014 and he wants to put this hammer into the strongest set of hands in NHL player representation, and that's CAA Sports' J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson.

For right now, I think it's pretty much a given that Luongo reports and gives his 100% effort for the Canucks during the 2013-14 season. Over the year, Gillis and the Canucks will work hard to repair the relationship moving forward and CAA Sports will work hard to repair Luongo's image and build his value.

Once the offseason comes along, Luongo will make a choice and the parties involved will react appropriately (and both sides will try to be prepared for every foreseeable contingency).

Because if the Canucks are forced to make a trade, they'd have to accept whatever terms it took for a team to "want" the contract.

The last time there was a potential deal (with Toronto), that meant salary retention (at least that was the rumour).

If the terms of the opt-out clause are binding, it's bad news for the Canucks because they might have no other choice but to give him away, or even pay a team to take him (by retaining salary or adding other assets).

Of course, if that's how things went down, I'd expect the Canucks to fight things tooth and nail and that's why Lu hiring Barry & Brisson makes a lot of sense.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Luongo maybe has a plan to play 1 year in Vancouver just for the Olympics then demand a compliance buyout and with his new superstar agent team get another long term contract from another team as a free agent next summer this time one that is less than 6 years.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

Luongo maybe has a plan to play 1 year in Vancouver just for the Olympics then demand a compliance buyout and with his new superstar agent team get another long term contract from another team as a free agent next summer this time one that is less than 6 years.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

Dreger must get his rocks off stirring the pot here.

On the surface I don't see the positives in this news. I am concerned that the goalie controversy is going to go on and that Luongo may in fact be pressing to get moved.

Obviously Lu is pretty unhappy now. Agents are supposed to avoid that. I am not sure who is more responsible for the contract: Auquillini, Gillis, Luongo, or his agent. They all played a role. But the agent did extract the maxiumum possible for Luongo when other players (like the Sedins) were signing for a discount. The problem is that if things go south such contracts become immoveable. Yes, Lu got a lot of money but he could have had a more reasonable contract and still have been set up for life.

Some one on team 1040 made a point that i thought couuld be cool, he suggested that lu was looking to find a way to fight the Luongo rule in the cba and have them make it so old contracts wont suffer and he would be tradeable. it could be interesting to see if its possible to fight the cba like that.

i don't understand how it's classless to get paid for something he negotiated for his former client? he did all the work to get that contract for Luongo and it's classless for him to get paid for it? while it's ok for JP Barry to get paid for literally doing nothing?

We aren't being told anything as to why he's switched agents, it's all speculation at this point. And his previous agent would have already been paid for the contract he negotiated for Luongo, so that's not even an issue.

Sounds like you aren't supporting him on everything he does, no matter what, even without all the facts.

I'm sick and tired of the debate over whether Luongo has the right mindset to comeback or whatever. I have respected Luongo all along and never blamed him for the cup loss, I know it wasn't his fault. I still think he can get us 40 wins for the next five years but if he really doesn't want to play for us, then fine. If the reason for changing the agent was to have the agent find a trade deal to get him out of Van, then that's fine go ahead. I don't want a player who is not dedicated to playing for us.

Luongo wouldn't be hiring a new agent if he was ok with what's going on. Maybe he's going to try and find a way out of this whole thing with a new agent? In which case, the Canucks will be left with Eriksson and Lack as their starting goalies, and essentially lose Luongo and Schneider for Bo Horvat...

MG better start writing up an offer for Bryzgalov

Archived