The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

I sure hope not. Bieksa is the one that should be packing his bags. Damn these NTCs!!!

Yeah I totally take Tanev over Bieksa... :rolleyes:

He's a solid positionally if unspectacular young, small d-man. Take you're damn ~$1.2M and call it a day Chris.

Tanev is a pretty important signing for VAN. But with 4 D making over $4.5m, they need cheaper options on the bottom.

He is restricted so I believe there is a minimum offer. I'd bet that's the offer. Or else VAN takes it's chances with Weber and Corrado. Since Tanev would be quite valuable in a trade given his position, age and experience.

Developing? More like "ongoing for some time now and not really much in the way of news"...

The qualifying offer would have been just over $900K, and the Canucks likely realize he'll get more than that but he won't even get close to double it until he proves he can provide some offence along with his cool head on D. Not sure what both sides are asking for but I'm not worried that they'll reach an agreement before the season.

Pretty much every contract negotiation that takes longer than two weeks (and gets press coverage in a hockey market like Vancouver) includes at least one instance when the two sides are reported to be "not talking." No big deal. It's not like they're actually unwilling to talk to each other. If Gurney decided to make a call, Gilman would certainly pick-up the phone, and vice versa.

Probably very little to actually talk about at this point so they've agreed to step back from any kind of formal negotiations for the time being. By this point, both sides are well aware of the other's position. And really, unless Gurney is ready to schedule a meeting for his client to come in and sign papers, there's nothing much left for them to talk about (with the Canucks).

And the funny thing is, more often than not these "we're not talking" reports are followed by contract signings a week or two later.

I hope we don't lose Tanev... lots of potential there.

That's really all it is at this point...potential. He has looked solid but until he plays a full season he really hasn't earned a big league pay cheque. This team is deep with two-way defensemen in the minors. Canucks have the upper hand.

As everyone has already stated for years, Tanev is a good defenseman, but he's a 5-6th defenseman, not a top four. He doesn't get assists or points, which limits the situations that he can be put in. Other teams pay their bottom pairing defenseman around the $650-$1.5M range, the Canucks should be no different.

The Tanev side is probably asking for way too much money, considering what Chris brings isn't amazing at all. I'm a big fan of Tanev, but the only thing he really has going for him is that he doesn't really panic in his own end. Other than that, his play has been quite unspectacular. He hardly puts up any points, which is fine if you're going to be more of a shutdown defenseman, but his physical game isn't there either and some forecheckers eat him alive.

I like Tanev a lot, but right now he's nothing more than a bottom pairing player and hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be paid as anything else. One of my favorite players on the team, but also one of the most overrated players by this forum in my opinion.

Tanev is an RFA without arbitration rights. e effectively has no option but to accept what the GMMG will give him. We won't be losing him. I guess the issue is going to be that Tanev wants a 1 year deal (by that time he'll have arbitration rights), and the Canucks want him for longer.

Chris Tanev is one of those players that gets entirely too much praise and credit, the exact opposite of Edler in fact.

Tanev type players are a dime a dozen. There would be little to no impact on the Canucks if he wasn't out there. He's just a 5-6 defenseman but people praise him as if he's a top 3 defenseman.

Could not care less if he signs, sits or gets offer sheeted. He is easily replaceable.

Archived