The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Monahan says.. [PGT]

250Integra

From the 2 periods I saw, Calgary's goalie won them that game. He held them in it when they had no business being in the game, we had out shot them 25-8 in 2 periods...but it was 1-1 and some grade A thievery by him on those shots.

He may have just raised his stock for a shot at the big club if he keeps that play up.

Its a tournament that means little other than getting a look at some of the young guys, how they play positionally, think the game etc. I was pretty impressed at the pace and the structure to be honest (at least the first 2 periods, didn't see the collapse in the third).

Players that I noticed, in no particular order.

1. Jensen, seems to protect the puck well, has good wheels, very quick hands and I think with better players may actually push for a spot. He got absolutely robbed by the Calgary goalie but it was a great save, not a brain fart...he did what he had to do back door but calg's goalie just robbed him.

2. Cassells. For a 3d round pick this kid may end up being a hell of a steal. Sure only 2 games in but he plays a very simple, smart game and distributes the puck very well. He isn't quite big enough to push this year, but another year in Junior where he will likely be the number 1 center on his team (was behind Laughton and Jenner last year). He actually had some nice chemistry when with Jensen (which makes sense they have played together in Junior). This kid reminds me alot of his dad but a bit bigger, which if he can be even close to that will be a HUGE steal for us. He will be one to watch.

3. Subban - wow...you see the speed and talent all over this kid. Size is clearly an issue but if we can pair him with a big stay at home D man, he might just surprise some people. He is lightening on his skates and if he can't play D (seen as too small), move the kid to the wing and turn him into marty st louis...again potential for a real steal.

4. Ericcson looked solid in the first 2, didn't see the third but people are mentioning it certainly wasn't his fault so likely a decent game from him as well.

5. Corrado was...Corrado.

Didn't noticed Horvat and Shink that much this game. Some saying it was an ice time issue, but they certainly didn't follow up a great game 1 with a great game 2....learning the ropes. consistency is key and this shows that it will be tough for them to make the big squad (anyone for that matter other than maybe Jensen and Corrado.

But a good game, and some promising young players, at least we have some potential in our system now!

Lol they were having a bad game.... if they wanted to see how others played then jensen's ice time would have been decreased as well but it was increased because he was playing well and was our best player. Saying we lost because horvat and shinkaruk got less ice time is childish and so is saying horvat can win the game by himself.... not even the sedins can win by themselves it takes the whole team. Also Jensen is better than Horvat as of now just saying.

Yup...agreed.

Jensen showed he is ready to compete for a spot vs men.

Horvat and Shink look promising as does Subban but they are not ready or even close yet, another year in Junior, then the AHL. It will be good for them to play in the world juniors as well. They are not ready to have their elc's burned when they can't dominate 2 games in a row vs. boys...its really that simple.

Jensen looked like a pro, his positioning, skating, timing etc.

Ericcson looked solid and Corrado will get his spot...

I think if we come out of this main camp with Jensen making the squad, Corrado solidifying his, Kassian and Schroeder making the next step in their development, we'll be good.

I do think Jensen is a big key here. His offensive upside really gives us some depth and size up front if he can find the way to contribute. Let's hope he does, I really like this kid.

Guance, only one game, not much to see yet but given how he performed in the WJ camp I wonder if he is maybe a player who plays better with better skill around him (a team based player vs a guy who dominates on his own), and if so, he may show better at main camp.

For anyone who hasn't noticed, look at Frankie Corrado right now as opposed to end of season last game.

He looks a lot bigger he is skating much better and he is throwing his body a little more.

His positioning is still sound but he seems to be much more confident. Whether that can be attributed to his increase in size I am not sure but I am liking his odds for call ups and a full time stint in Utica

For anyone who hasn't noticed, look at Frankie Corrado right now as opposed to end of season last game.

He looks a lot bigger he is skating much better and he is throwing his body a little more.

His positioning is still sound but he seems to be much more confident. Whether that can be attributed to his increase in size I am not sure but I am liking his odds for call ups and a full time stint in Utica

Archived