The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Mike Brown to Sharks

lumberman

Sestito actually brings size and strength to the table though.

Brown can skate well and fight. He doesn't bring anything more than a guy like Volpatti did.

If Gillis had any ability to find fourth liners, or maybe give guys like Archibald or Lain a chance we would have something. Although I do like what I've seen from Welsh early on. The guy can skate and forecheck, and even has some offensive instincts.

Mike Brown is an excellent penalty killer.

Sestito actually brings size and strength to the table though.

Brown can skate well and fight. He doesn't bring anything more than a guy like Volpatti did.

If Gillis had any ability to find fourth liners, or maybe give guys like Archibald or Lain a chance we would have something. Although I do like what I've seen from Welsh early on. The guy can skate and forecheck, and even has some offensive instincts.

Brown brings everything Sestito does and more in terms of size, strength, grit, and fighting ability. Like you said, he can skate better and is arguably a better fighter. Sestito really doesn't do much and is painfully slow.

Though I agree that Welsh has been pretty good so far. I'd really like to see Lain come up too.

Brown has been playing some pretty uninspiring hockey in Edmonton - with really mediocre underlying numbers - and strange situational play with over 50% offensive zones starts this and last year (and corsi in the -20 range to go with them).

Anyhow, does he make the Sharks any better?

Meh.

Brown brings everything Sestito does and more in terms of size, strength, grit, and fighting ability. Like you said, he can skate better and is arguably a better fighter. Sestito really doesn't do much and is painfully slow.

Though I agree that Welsh has been pretty good so far. I'd really like to see Lain come up too.

Brown is 5'11" 205 lbs

Sestito is 6'5" 228 lbs

Not sure how Brown brings more size. And strength and grit I would say they're on par. They would probably draw even in a fight.

Sestito is slow, but not that slow for a big guy. I've seen alot worse. I'm not saying I'm all for having Sestito in the lineup, just that anyone that thinks that Brown is some sort of upgrade is overhyping Brown big time.

People have obviously forgotten when he played for us. He's decent enough I guess, but we called him huggy bear or something because his fights usually involved holding on since he was often fighting bigger players.

Minor deal at best and surprised they got even a late 4th for him.

Maybe this was just to move a contract to prepare for the blockbuster trade with Buffalo.

My thought exactly. Oilers were at 49 contracts, and if they are looking at a 1 for 2 deal they would need to unload a contract so as to not be at the 50 when all is said and done. I don't know if Buffalo is the team or not, but I can't think of any logical reason for Edmonton to be doing this when they are down Hall, Eberle, Smyth, and Joensuu. Why ship out a capable skater now? It's not like his value would change in the next month when some of their injured players return. From the Oilers perspective this makes no sense unless a trade is coming.

Archived