The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] VAN vs DAL - 11/17/13 - 5PM

Strombone1

While I completely agree he isn't to blame for this team's performance, it's been a long time since he's played lights out and stolen a game for us.

Meh, I don't usually tend to agree with these statements. Although it is a goalie's responsibility to stop shots and give his/her team a chance to win, I don't think it should be expected of them to steal games even when the team in front of them is crapping the bed. When it happens, it is awesome, but when it doesn't... You can't really blame the goalie, can you?

Welsh got 18 seconds of ice time and -1, and when he got scored on he was just getting on the ice after the santo line decided to change and not back check. For everything good torts does, he has no clue in the world on how to work a bench, he just throws his good players out as much as he can.

@BradZiemer

18 seconds of ice time for Welsh; Sestito had almost twice that much: 30 seconds. #Canucks

...and both are a -1. :picard:

This is what I'm saying. Dump these guys and call up some youth like Archibald and Grenier. Both would bring a ton more than either those guys would bring.

What are we afraid we'll lose them on waivers? I guarantee no team will claim either.

Booth Santorelli Kassian

Archibald Richardson Grenier

Bigger, meaner, younger, bottom 6.

It's the western conference, not a ton of goals are scored each night. Teams win by strong defence in this conference. Last 8-10 games, Canucks have limited the opposition to below avg # of scoring chances - against good teams. The best D I've seen them play since 10/11. Luongo of 10/11 would have had a shutout or 2 already in those games. It's a concern IMO.

Of course, their inability to score goal is also a problem, but I think it's more bad luck than anything. They're dominating puck possession, generating lots of chances. But it's the west, they've come up against great goaltending - which the Canucks need.

What more do you want? Last game he was 1 min away from shutting out the high offense Sharks. They get a very lucky goal late, which we failed to win the face off and get the puck out.

You would like just 1 more goal at least, and you win that game 2-1. If a goalie losing a shutout late means the game is tied, you have a problem.

The Sedins on a breakaway or on a 2 on 1 are usually money in the bank. They had both that period and failed to score.

Gotta think that's the difference right now. Henrik has looked off lately.

Hank tried to make a move but That behind the back pass on the 2 on 1 was pathetic. Shoot the f'in puck!!

@BradZiemer

18 seconds of ice time for Welsh; Sestito had almost twice that much: 30 seconds. #Canucks

...and both are a -1. :picard:

It was no one on that 4th lines fault. The Santorelli line decided to make a change on the back check, and for whatever reason Torts thinks its a good idea to throw out his 4th line when they had their 1st line out. Torts has no idea how to work a bench. His style of coaching is just throwing out his good players all the time. Why not hire me, because I could do the same...

This is what I'm saying. Dump these guys and call up some youth like Archibald and Grenier. Both would bring a ton more than either those guys would bring.

What are we afraid we'll lose them on waivers? I guarantee no team will claim either.

I've seen Grenier's name pop up many times here and people really want him to get called up from the Comets. What kind of player is he?

Meh, I don't usually tend to agree with these statements. Although it is a goalie's responsibility to stop shots and give his/her team a chance to win, I don't think it should be expected of them to steal games even when the team in front of them is crapping the bed. When it happens, it is awesome, but when it doesn't... You can't really blame the goalie, can you?

it's not blame, but when the goalie at the other end is making those saves, it's pretty disheartening when your goalie doesn't make the save that he absolutely has to make, no matter how many other saves he's made. I think Luongo has been good this year, and has made some great saves and I'm happy to see that he seems to have solved his soft goal problem. But, he's not stealing games either, and great teams have goalies that steal games on a regular basis.

It's the western conference, not a ton of goals are scored each night. Teams win by strong defence in this conference. Last 8-10 games, Canucks have limited the opposition to below avg # of scoring chances - against good teams. The best D I've seen them play since 10/11. Luongo of 10/11 would have had a shutout or 2 already in those games. It's a concern IMO.

Of course, their inability to score goal is also a problem, but I think it's more bad luck than anything. They're dominating puck possession, generating lots of chances. But it's the west, they've come up against great goaltending - which the Canucks need.

I get it, and might almost agree with that statement. The goaltending position must be a solid one - one that you can depend on to keep you in the game. Where we differ, I would assume, is that I believe Luongo has been doing that. He hasn't let in any agregious goals lately (or not too many) and has made the saves he should make. When it comes to cross-crease passes, or shots going bar in (so called perfect shots), I always hate to see people pile on the goalie. The player did not score that goal because of the goalie. He scored because of a great pass, or a great shot, or a great screen etc. sometimes goalies can make those outstanding, game-saving saves... But I personally don't think you can depend on a goalie to make those saves. It's just not reasonable, since they usually are accompanied by a certain amount of luck.

PS - sorry about the wall of text

Archived