The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks Lose 3-2 in Shootout

Brad Bellick^

So we're just over 1/4 of the way into the season, and we're having to rely on other teams starting to play bad in order to have a chance? Is that what contending teams do? Looking forward to 2014/15 and watching the kids. I expect they at least will give it everything they have and play with emotion unlike our current crew.

I don't think we could be considered contenders anymore... but I think you are wrong on the heart aspect. I think a lot of this team has heart, and our core isn't going to be different next year without a trade.

I just don't think we are skilled enough, we never got a true 2nd line and our D lacks a true #1. Still, gotta hope because if you make it to the playoffs it doesn't matter how much of an underdog you are you still have a shot at it!

All of the pointless SCF talk aside, Luo was awesome last night. Without him, we would have been in a deep hole in the 1st!

Our biggest problem was, yet again, attitude. Even Hank (?) said they took it for granted that they could beat such a lowly team and we've seen that cocky attitude for years. One would think they would learn their lesson after an embarrassing loss to a team they should beat, but apparently not yet. That's why I was happy to hear Torts rip them a new one, saying it was disrespectful and there are no easy games in this league. They have to come to play every game, every period, every shift! No one gets to coast to an easy win and you sure as hell don't get to coast to an easy Cup.

For a team with the mature core of the Nucks, the lack of leadership is alarming. Hank is a great guy/human being but these kinds of revelations have to call into question the leadership of the team. The senior "leaders" aren't leading and are the biggest reason the team is struggling. The support players are trying to do their part but with limited minutes/talent, they aren't ever going to carry the team. Torts was bang on when he referred to no leadership after last night's game. I have to think that is at the heart of the Nuck's problem. Too many comfortable guys that feel they are entitled to be on the team and play just well enough not to not be benched.

Yknow, I don't understand why some of you believe that all we need is to get another D and top 6 sniper and suddenly we're on the road to the cup finals.. like day after day I come on here to read up on the Canucks and this is all I read.. "we need this and we need that".

Hate to break it to you, but its not like adding these couple pieces instantly make this team a contender. Sure it would help, but its unrealistic to believe that you can have a couple players added that will suddenly change everything. That type of thinking to me is a fallacy.

Its happened SO many times in the past "Oh, Kesler is healthy again, now he will go on a tear".. and then he doesn't. "Oh once we get booth back, that will help our scoring".. and then it doesn't. "Oh, getting Roy can be the difference and push us closer to elite level" expect that he doesn't.

I just keep reading a lot of wishful thinking from Canucks fans.. some of you need to get a dose of reality.. and the Canucks are giving it to you in spades right now. I'm not trying to troll. I mean I want to see the team win like anyone else, but I also don't think its healthy to sugarcoat and live in dreams about this team. Call it for what it is for a change! This club has had a great run for the past few seasons. They’ve deteriorated in terms of their play and roster where other teams have all improved.. this is just a fact.

It will take time, but this team will get back to it sooner or later.. I just hope some of you can get over this stuff since you are deluding yourselves to keep believing that we are one or two tweaks away from winning a cup.. its just getting ridiculous to read constantly.

Yknow, I don't understand why some of you believe that all we need is to get another D and top 6 sniper and suddenly we're on the road to the cup finals.. like day after day I come on here to read up on the Canucks and this is all I read.. "we need this and we need that".

Hate to break it to you, but its not like adding these couple pieces instantly make this team a contender. Sure it would help, but its unrealistic to believe that you can have a couple players added that will suddenly change everything. That type of thinking to me is a fallacy.

Its happened SO many times in the past "Oh, Kesler is healthy again, now he will go on a tear".. and then he doesn't. "Oh once we get booth back, that will help our scoring".. and then it doesn't. "Oh, getting Roy can be the difference and push us closer to elite level" expect that he doesn't.

I just keep reading a lot of wishful thinking from Canucks fans.. some of you need to get a dose of reality.. and the Canucks are giving it to you in spades right now. I'm not trying to troll. I mean I want to see the team win like anyone else, but I also don't think its healthy to sugarcoat and live in dreams about this team. Call it for what it is for a change! This club has had a great run for the past few seasons. They’ve deteriorated in terms of their play and roster where other teams have all improved.. this is just a fact.

It will take time, but this team will get back to it sooner or later.. I just hope some of you can get over this stuff since you are deluding yourselves to keep believing that we are one or two tweaks away from winning a cup.. its just getting ridiculous to read constantly.

Yeah, if they were truly only one small piece away, they would be doing better.

Who hijacked this thread to troll up an argument about 2011?

It's just a few Lu haters that haven't gotten over their hero Schneider being traded. They have their Lu hating blinders on and can't find it in themselves to acknowledge that Lu is playing well. As someone noted, Lu has been playing at .918 (his lifetime save%) in his last 10 games... clearly showing that he's trending upward. Unbelievably, they blame Lu for our losing streak while failing to mention the team's scoring drought, the defensive breakdowns resulting in impossible shots to save, the fluke goals.... They rave on about Lu not stealing games when he has, about his 'soft goals' when it's a fact of (goalie's) life, and about his 'belly flopping' in a goal area scramble after a series of saves (something they can see in the highlights every night from any goalie)... not explaining how a goalie is supposed to stay on his feet in such situations. Then they dredge up 2011. Look, these guys are entitled to their hate on Lu. But it's hard to digest when it's coloured by their ignorance of the complete game.

I don't think we could be considered contenders anymore... but I think you are wrong on the heart aspect. I think a lot of this team has heart, and our core isn't going to be different next year without a trade.

I just don't think we are skilled enough, we never got a true 2nd line and our D lacks a true #1. Still, gotta hope because if you make it to the playoffs it doesn't matter how much of an underdog you are you still have a shot at it!

I think the team has a lot of heart and pride,but it's clearly a veteran team cobbled together with bits and pieces.It's still a team that could make noise in the playoffs...I think the only bright light here is the fact that some blue chip talent will be coming next year (Horvat,Shink,Cassels)..Trading for a second line center or a #1 D would be a lateral move at the most in my opinion....

Well, pretty much every thread these days seem to end up on:

a ) 2011 (with our without a side of Luongo meltdown)

b ) NHL/reffing conspiracy

c ) Hodgson/Kassian

it used to have a d as well, but we've been able to get past that during the summer ;)

d ) Raymond, Ballard + 1st

Biggest improvement was the 4th line actually played over 5 mins :lol:

In all seriousness though, Sedins logged in 25+ mins of ice time and Higgy is still going with the hot streak.

A lot of that 25 minutes was defending in their own end where they are horrible.

It looks like a power play when the sedin line is trapped in their end.

I think the team has a lot of heart and pride,but it's clearly a veteran team cobbled together with bits and pieces.It's still a team that could make noise in the playoffs...I think the only bright light here is the fact that some blue chip talent will be coming next year (Horvat,Shink,Cassels)..Trading for a second line center or a #1 D would be a lateral move at the most in my opinion....

After that log they pinched at Rogers Arena last night, I can't say that this team played with pride or heart. Maybe Luongo and Higgins, but that's it.

Agreed, but generally you don't flood your line-up with prospects unless you rebuild so I think next year we will see a lot of the same excet maybe some young guys getting their feet wet. We aren't in a dark spot but I think our time of being president trophy winners / favorites is over and our core will just get older but with the contract setup we will be running at it with a very similiar roster for the next few years.

I'm not saying we should trade becuse I agree, at this point it would be, but stating what went wrong / is wrong. We just never got over the hump of filling our needs, the ones we tried didn't pan out (Booth, Ballard so-forth). I tihk the last thing we should do is throw out all our prospects if anything we should play a year or two and end the era.

lose canuck lose! suck canucks suck! should be our new slogan since no one is capable of scoring on this team ever. and its been like that since 2007. The only reason we make it to stanley cup final in 2011 is because alex burrow carry us all way to final game. Get rid of higgins! he looks sluggish out there

Awesome first post..

I disagree

the Canucks have suffered from on simple problem since inception

They draft poorly and ALL of their prospects take too long to mature.

That is not to say all of their picks have been bad, but they have never put 2 or 3 or 4 years together with solid picks.

You think Horvat and Shrinkwrap are going to make a difference next year?

Are they better than Coho was in junior? Or Nedved? or the Sedins?

If you look at Canuck history Linden and Bure are about the only star players drafted at about the same time who matured quickly.

And they went to the cup final as young stars.

If the Sedins had matured quickly they would have been stars at the same time as the West Coast express, but no they did not emerge until the WCE was done.

Now the Sedins are nearly done and you hope Horvat and Shrink will make a difference next year? Try 2016

It is the never-ending cycle with this team

I disagree

the Canucks have suffered from on simple problem since inception

They draft poorly and ALL of their prospects take too long to mature.

That is not to say all of their picks have been bad, but they have never put 2 or 3 or 4 years together with solid picks.

You think Horvat and Shrinkwrap are going to make a difference next year?

Are they better than Coho was in junior? Or Nedved? or the Sedins?

If you look at Canuck history Linden and Bure are about the only star players drafted at about the same time who matured quickly.

And they went to the cup final as young stars.

If the Sedins had matured quickly they would have been stars at the same time as the West Coast express, but no they did not emerge until the WCE was done.

Now the Sedins are nearly done and you hope Horvat and Shrink will make a difference next year? Try 2016

It is the never-ending cycle with this team

The Canucks have had two top picks in the top 10 of the NHL draft in 14 years.....We are basically a victim of our own success....Now,it's starting to become apparent because we have no secondary scoring,or guys blossoming into their prime.Most of the elite teams..Kings.Peguins,Blackhawks all tanked for 2-3 years and got elite players off of the bat...I'm hoping we can follow the Sharks model and retool on the fly.

Archived