The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

I said to trade Booth for Erat a while back and people thought I was crazy yet someone tweets about him being available and suddenly it's not a bad idea...

Oh, it's a good idea for us, but I can't see Washington doing this. Erat - despite having a poor season - still has way more trade value than Booth does. I'd happily add in someone who doesn't look like they will get a lot of playing time on our team (like Schroeder) to make this happen.

I'd love to go after both Erat and Cammalleri. I really think Erat would refind his game here

Booth, Sauve, 3rd for Erat

Schroeder, Jensen, early-mid pick(s) for Cammalleri

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - Cammalleri - Erat

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Weise - Richardson - Hansen

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Garrison

Stanton - Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

If we can an upgrade on Weise we'd be golden.

What has given you the impression he could refine his game in Vancouver ? Im interested in the idea of a Booth Erat swap but its a mystery how it would work out for both teams .

I just find it funny when people try to act more informed about a player yet leave no reason for there opinion

Oh, it's a good idea for us, but I can't see Washington doing this. Erat - despite having a poor season - still has way more trade value than Booth does. I'd happily add in someone who doesn't look like they will get a lot of playing time on our team (like Schroeder) to make this happen.

I think Washington would trade Erat for Schroeder one for one as it gets them out of the last year of Erat's contract, also Raymond has shown that smaller skill players have more success in the East.

Not sure I do that though if i'm MG. I still want to see what he can do when healthy. Plus his contract is dirt cheap this year. If he comes back and doesn't perform well, then maybe I would take another look at that trade proposal.

Yes no off season training can slow someone down or create consistency issues. But if your a real 30 goals scorer, you should be able to easily get 15-20 goals without an offseason. Explain part of it but not all. Booth is playing like an AHLer right now, he's on pace for less than 10 goals.

I would expect him to have at least 3 or 4 by now.

Not exactly it completely depends on your game. Booth does not have a great shot so his ability to score comes from driving to the net with speed which he is seriously lacking right now due to his injury and no off season training. Now if Booth was a sniper then his lack of speed wouldn't hurt his goal production that much.

Booth was almost a PPG player before his injuries when healthy there is no reason not to expect 60 points from him something that you will never get from Erat.

What has given you the impression he could refine his game in Vancouver ? Im interested in the idea of a Booth Erat swap but its a mystery how it would work out for both teams .

I just find it funny when people try to act more informed about a player yet leave no reason for there opinion

The point of making such a trade is that it can't get any worse for either player. They're both rock bottom in their careers, so if you get anything out of them for the rest of their contract it's a bonus because right now they're both buy-out candidates. Maybe only one of them turns things around, maybe neither of them do? But a change of scenery can make all the difference in the world. That's why you consider making that trade.

Erat was pretty good with Nashville, maybe time has caught up with him. But it can't be worse than carrying Booth right now can it ? No matter what they do from here in they aren't doing any thing with their current teams

Exactly and if Erat doesn't pan out at least he's cheaper to buyout for the Aqulini's.

It isn't just about the quality of the player's skills, it is also how well they mesh with linemates.

Could Kesler use a speedier linemate who is more of a playmaker like Erat? One would think so... couldn't have worse chemistry than with Booth, the two of them together was some sort of passing and offence black hole.

No way Washington does the straight up swap though. If Booth got waived, he almost certainly wouldn't get picked up... Erat probably would. That makes a big difference about getting stuck with a crappy contract.

Archived