The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How would you rate our coaching staff so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

B+.

Can't give the coaching staff an A when they're not even in a playoff position.

After all, it's the nature of the beast that results dictate - and therefore AV is no longer here.

I'm happy with the performance overall, considering injuries, puck luck etc - the team is carrying the play most games.

A little less ballbusting wouldn't hurt either.

But overall, a good B+

B+.

Can't give the coaching staff an A when they're not even in a playoff position.

After all, it's the nature of the beast that results dictate - and therefore AV is no longer here.

I'm happy with the performance overall, considering injuries, puck luck etc - the team is carrying the play most games.

A little less ballbusting wouldn't hurt either.

But overall, a good B+

Sounds about right.

Really like the accountability Torts & Co. have instilled, I think it will bring about an atmosphere where the players will start to hold each other more accountable.

PK, push back, 5vs5, all very good. Would like to see the hit #'s go up and of course would like to see better results on the PP.

I agree with Oldnews on this one. Solid B+

Coaching has been world class. The only problem I am having is the SCREAMING Torts is doing . Its unnecessary. He can remind them of a correct way to play it , and then bench them as the punishment. The yelling is not going to play well. Its a great way to get your players to tune you out.

he hardly ever screams at players. WIth Hansen you'll notice that he didn't really respond to Torts-just sort of ignored him. With a coach like Torts unless you acknowledge your mistakes you're gonna get crap for it plain and simple. With that said, Higgins made a D zone coverage error against NY today and when Torts talked to him you could see him nodding his head and acknowledging him- Torts didn't explode.

I think the PP is more on the players than it is the coaches at this point. It has struggled with AV as much as it has with Torts. I also think we have PP goals in our past 4 games?

PP lacking hard. Notice in today's game vs NYR their goals are deflected. That has a lot to do with the coaching staff telling the players where to go to deflect the goals.

he hardly ever screams at players. WIth Hansen you'll notice that he didn't really respond to Torts-just sort of ignored him. With a coach like Torts unless you acknowledge your mistakes you're gonna get crap for it plain and simple. With that said, Higgins made a D zone coverage error against NY today and when Torts talked to him you could see him nodding his head and acknowledging him- Torts didn't explode.

Higgins and Torts have a thing. I think its blatantly obvious Torts favours the blue collar type players and doesn't know what he actually has in Hansen because the Great Dane hasn't been playing up to par recently.

Hansen didn't respond because Tortorella was making an ass out of himself and took out his frustration on the wrong guy.

There was absolutely no way that Hansen, who was in behind the Ottawa net expecting the puck to be dumped down low, was going to catch up to Methot or the pass he made to MacArthur and then effect that play in any way other than trailing and being in good position if there were a rebound. Hansen was the deepest player on the ice, and wound up the next player in after the 3 on 3.

Tortorella over-reacted.

Yeah Torts is giving the team an identity but its all him. I think the D is not as good as some think. Even Hamhuis has sucked a lot lately. Maybe they don't want the Presidents trophy no more. Ha ha ! Gillis has ruined a good team by not making the moves needed. Oh well team is mediocre but we got Torts.

Yeah Torts is giving the team an identity but its all him. I think the D is not as good as some think. Even Hamhuis has sucked a lot lately. Maybe they don't want the Presidents trophy no more. Ha ha ! Gillis has ruined a good team by not making the moves needed. Oh well team is mediocre but we got Torts.

sry i honestly don't recall when was the last time you think the team wasn't mediocre... all your comments are as negative as it comes dating way way back..

B- at first they seemed to be doing a good job implementing a new system, but I've seen flashes of AV still. Its going to take a 100% buy in from everyone before we see any major results. That being said, I like the aggrssive forecheck, and the shots, but those shots need to be better quality, and I wouldn't mind seeing them crash the net when the dmen shoot the puck from the point for a rebound, I mean come on, how many times have I seen the puck get shot by either garrison or bieksa, and big rebound, and no one there. I mean come on. Still a long way to go.

So far we are a borderline playoff team with serious issues of a lack of scoring so i would not say the coaching staff is doing that great especially since they have some great talent on this team that they have not been able to get on track so far this season

Hansen didn't respond because Tortorella was making an ass out of himself and took out his frustration on the wrong guy.

There was absolutely no way that Hansen, who was in behind the Ottawa net expecting the puck to be dumped down low, was going to catch up to Methot or the pass he made to MacArthur and then effect that play in any way other than trailing and being in good position if there were a rebound. Hansen was the deepest player on the ice, and wound up the next player in after the 3 on 3.

Tortorella over-reacted.

That seems right. I wonder if it's because Hansen gave up on the backcheck from OTT's blueline? I'm not trying to split hairs here, and maybe Torts did over-react, but you can't say he isn't trying to do his job making sure he gets maximux effort from the team.

Video link here

Archived