The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lucic says he'll never go to DT Vancouver

Didn't Lucic's Dad attack a group of Medicine Hat fans during the Memorial Cup final ? I think Ron Toigo had to go smooth things over so he didn't get kicked out.

Yep. I also heard Lucic ended four kids' careers with different head shots and one vicious slash to the throat. Guy is a wild animal, needs to be put in his place.

Hockey fanaticism was a big reason I did get away from Vancouver, yes, but there are reasons outside of hockey that I hate what goes on here. Keep trying to defend these rioters, vandals, and fanatics that don't care about how much of a good guy Lucic is off the ice but only judge him by what he does on the ice, when they haven't likely even put on skates their whole life. This guy is a role model for children, a sports hero for this city, bringing it its first hockey championship in a very long time, a very approachable guy (at least when he was on the Giants, I'm sure he still is), a hometown boy.... Yet he gets all this hate just because he's part of the team that beat the Canucks. I'm sick of this mob mentality, "Hate this hate that" or you're a "band wagoner" or you're "not a real fan" of the Canucks because you respect other players of the game, lol.

Dude, get off your high horse. You must be the Super Moral Man, able to generalize a populous in a single comment. What a load of crap. I have no problem with Lucic, I think he's got a raw dea,l but it is a fairly small demographic that you are targeting and applying to an entire region. I hope Lucic reconsiders, but you can stay away as long as you want.

Arthur Griffiths tweets: " fans don't deserve to be slammed. He's a big boy and should quit whining," "He wouldn't be with the @NHLBruins today if it wasn't for the countless #Vancouver people who supported him years ago,"

This is getting blown way out of proportion. Did anyone see him (Lucic) speaking about it?...smirking? As reluctant as I am do feed this beast, I think the "poor Lucic" comments are borderline pathetic. My butt. He's a big boy when he's running guys (and his mouth) out there on the ice. People are making him a saint. He's far from it.

He left the rink after a humiliating loss. He was non existent out there on the ice. Ego deflated. His team has the flu and he was out at 4 AM, whooping it up. He wanted to blow off some steam....not go visit his family. Not rest up because he's part of a team that is struggling with illness and had just had a loss. Party.

His right - absolutely.

Someone allegedly threw a drink at then punched him in a club. But he was eating poutine when they met up once again. I think there may be more to this. I do believe some idiot likely targeted him, as a Bruin. That guy should answer for that not the city of Vancouver. We are good people and there's an agenda there in that - in doing that. A Bruin's calling out the city...not a hometown boy at that point. A rival opponent who's just had his butt handed to him on the ice in a convincing loss. And now he's taken the focus off that and made Vancouver a bad place again.

I don't agree with what happened here. I'd even feel slightly bad about it if the blame was being placed where it should. Not on a city. Not on my city and, as part of that, me. On the clown who did this. Only.

That smirk. Those decisions that were not based on the team, but were based on himself. Just like Marchand, doing what he did. There are some egos on that team. As much as that loss in '11 made some here idiots, it also made some there have their egos blow up.

Poor hometown boy who can't come visit his city? The one where he'd rather hit the streets than be with that family it seems?

I liked him in the past. As a Giant.

I think Boston's brought out the street rat in him.

I didn't expect this from you.

Are you really gonna call him out on not spending time with his family on a Saturday night?!? Wow.

Just because some members of his team are sick it doesn't me he is...

If the Bruins had won 6-2 I bet you would have said he had no business partying it up and rubbing it in our fans' faces. Right?

If it hadn't been for the video, we never would have heard about this. He never would have "whined." His response was an emotional one. He's no saint I'm sure.

It's a shame what's become of Granville. I'd heard it had deteriorated but I haven't really been down there since the 90's. Used to be a nice place to be at night. Heck, I even used to go to movies at the old Pantages theater on East Hastings when I was a kid. Main and Hastings then was probably like Granville is now I suppose. A bit dodgy, but nothing like the hell hole it is today.

What has happened to my city; I hardly know it anymore.

People give Granville a bad reputation. It's really not bad. I mean if you're looking for a fight you can definitely find one. But if you act like a normal person then you'll be fine. I've been to various establishments on the strip probably a hundred times in the past 5 years and never had an issue that I didn't deserve. The worst thing about it is finding a cab home.

I didn't expect this from you.

Are you really gonna call him out on not spending time with his family on a Saturday night?!? Wow.

Just because some members of his team are sick it doesn't me he is...

If the Bruins had won 6-2 I bet you would have said he had no business partying it up and rubbing it in our fans' faces. Right?

If it hadn't been for the video, we never would have heard about this. He never would have "whined." His response was an emotional one. He's no saint I'm sure.

The point that you so clearly missed is that he was putting himself in a situation where things could happen. That doesn't mean the guy who attacked him is off the hook but to turn around and act like this was completely unexpected and is somehow the fault of an entire city is just douchey. He can be sick as he likes if his family gets harassed again, not when his back teeth are floating and he's surrounded by drunks who just watched him get his ass handed to him on TV.

Lucic should know better and/or have people around him who know better and get him out of situations like that before they become problems. Plain and simple.

Drunk idiots are everywhere, in every city. As a pro athlete there's absolutely no way you can win dealing with them if they decide to make themselves a problem. Your only solution is to not be there in the first place or have someone or yourself get you away from problem people before any problem can occur.

Am I blaming Lucic for this drunken idiots behavior? Absolutely not. Guy's a moron who unfortunately is now giving our city a bad name (again). I blame him for putting himself in a stupid position for things like this to happen though. It sucks that he loses the freedom many of us enjoy to simply go out to some clubs down town but you're a high profile, highly paid athlete...it's the price you pay for living the dream.

Botchfords latest hattrick article has some good stuff in it regarding the Lucic situation.

1. You know Canada has it good when a dispute which almost turns into a bar fight makes it national.

But there was the Milan Lucic incident in the National Post, which managed to do exactly what it was accusing Canucks fans of doing.

It acted crazy and hysterical.

Admittedly, Bruce Arthur wrote a column without talking to witnesses, and with little information about what really went down early Sunday morning.

That’s his right, but I’d suggest you may want to compile some evidence before using a couple of punches as the tipping point to declare:

The worst edges of Vancouver’s fan base have seemed to out-crazy the edges of just about every other place, Montreal included, in recent years.

Really?

In Philadelphia, after the Eagles most satisfying win of the year a group of six men jumped a Detroit Lions fan and punched him unconscious.

In Denver, after the Broncos lost to the Chargers Thursday, three people were stabbed in the parking lot because they got into a fender bender.

In Alabama, after the Tide lost the Iron Bowl, a woman was shot dead because another fan didn’t think she was disappointed enough.

These incidents are all within the past couple of weeks.

In September, a Dodgers fan was stabbed to death after a fight with San Francisco Giants fans.

It was a story which eerily recalled Bryan Stow, the Giants fan brutally beaten at Dodger Stadium in 2011.

If Canucks fans are at war, what the hell is going on with Giants-Dodgers? Armageddon?

Just imagine if any of these incidents happened in Vancouver. What would people write then after exhaling so much hysteria over a couple of 4 am punches which didn’t injure anyone?

Now, maybe Giants-Dodgers fans are actually “warring.” I’m not sure. I’m not immersed in it.

I am here, embedded in Vancouver, and I can accurately report from the front lines, there is no “war.”

Not with Bruins fans, or any other fans. Rogers Arena is actually a rather boring, mundane place to see a game. On Saturday, when the place stuffed with Bruins fans, it was fun, rollicking and without incident.

My inbox has been streaming since Sunday with people claiming they were either in the area when the Lucic situation unravelled just before 4 am or know someone who was.

They don’t want to be quoted with the threat of a lawsuit, but there are some consistencies in the stories.

One being the fight wasn’t about bitter memories from 2011.

The so-called attacker allegedly approached Lucic with some sort of olive branch, was rebuffed (which is absolutely Lucic’s right).

It was getting blown off which allegedly led to the attacker to snap, though, it seems, there was more than one altercation and it spilled over from establishment to establishment.

As an aside, it seems Arthur has included my Monday morning twitter argument with Boston’s Joe Haggerty in his war narrative.

the animosity shared by the players, the fans, and some members of each city’s respective media corps, some of whom returned to the Twitter schoolyard Monday

To be honest, my dispute with Haggerty had nothing to do with 2011. Arguing is commonplace on my twitter feed, and most of the time it’s with the Vancouver media corps.

I don’t need a “war” to go schoolyard. Good thing, because there isn’t one.

Lucic shows us what a sore loser can act like. Who cares that he's from Vancouver, he's a Boston citizen now.

He is the one yelling "I'll kill you! Do you know who I am?" Ya, your some drunk meathead looking to prove yourself in the Vancouver bars, only to be beat down off the ice like you were on the ice.

He's a loud mouth drunken bully! I for one am glad he won't come back. One less drunk downtown.

Lucic, please stop telling people you're from Vancouver!!

Stop being so butt hurt about a famous hockey player who is angry at his hometown for being punched in the head in the entertainment district after a game. Newsflash. He was instrumental in the Boston Bruins beating us for the cup in 2011 and it makes some Aholes react in an Aholish manner. Get over it. Milan Lucic's opinion of Vancouver means absolutely nothing. He will be back, hopefully as a Canuck. Mikey G, fix this, trade Ballard and Raymond for Lucic.

Stop being so butt hurt about a famous hockey player who is angry at his hometown for being punched in the head in the entertainment district after a game. Newsflash. He was instrumental in the Boston Bruins beating us for the cup in 2011 and it makes some Aholes react in an Aholish manner. Get over it. Milan Lucic's opinion of Vancouver means absolutely nothing. He will be back, hopefully as a Canuck. Mikey G, fix this, trade Ballard and Raymond for Lucic.
Who are you even talking to?

i agree, i'm embarrassed of our fanbase. Lucic doesn't deserve to be treated like this

So you are embarrassed of YOURSELF? I guess I would be too if I transposed my body into that one drunken idiot. If I believed that ALL Vancouverites were only as good as the lowest scumbag in town.

How dare you punch Lucic like that (in spirit at least)? What were you thinking? No one deserves to be attacked like that unprovoked!

Chris Nilan couldn't step a foot on the streets of Boston without a fight.

The only difference is that he would oblige.

It happens everywhere.

I went to a Habs Bruins game in Boston around 10 years ago. What a freakin' zoo, some Bruins fans were heckling Saku Koivu about his cancer, calling him a f@ggot AIDS victim. I won't even get into their "interaction" with Habs fans but I'll say it was worse than what I saw in Philly.

Anyone singling Canucks fans out for bad behaviour should stop talking out of their asses. Unless they've been to other arenas, they don't have a clue what they're talking about. I've been to every Canadian arena and about half the US ones.

Archived