The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian making a case for himself

TheRussianRocket.

yeah, his team is really ripping it up.........JT is the most overrated part of this team. Now that he's in the west, with most of the great coaches, his belief that systems don't matter as much as hard work is being exploited big time.

I disagree Stawns and I will share my reasons.

I believe Torts has this team together as a unit like I have never seen them before. But its not enough.

The Twins are not the players they used to be. AV would have used them the same way and we would be failing just as well. Kesler is 90% Kesler but even 100% doesnt save us.

Goaltending and the Defense are excellent. I am more than happy .

Its our scoring. We relied so heavily on the twins, that we are now paying the price. They are getting older and we have no back up plan. MG never got us the scorers we needed to succeed. His attempt at Booth was meager .

I believe Torts has this team together as a unit like I have never seen them before. But its not enough.

The Twins are not the players they used to be. AV would have used them the same way and we would be failing just as well. Kesler is 90% Kesler but even 100% doesnt save us.

Its our scoring. We relied so heavily on the twins, that we are now paying the price. They are getting older and we have no back up plan. MG never got us the scorers we needed to succeed. His attempt at Booth was meager .

what proof do you haver they are "together like never before"? I see a team that is super fragile like never before that can't hold a lead to save their lives.......teams that are together don't do that. The lack of goals is directly attributed to JT because thats been the pattern throughout his career.......he coaches low scoring teams. When I watch I see very little puck support and most of the time players look lost on offense........thats coaching. This is a team that was first overall in scoring three years ago, with the same offensive players.

That said, I firmly believe personnel changes are necessary

I'll keep repeating it until CDC gets it.

The Sedins lack of production this season has nothing to do with them getting older.

-They've had very little in the way of a third line mate with any regularity, chemistry, or anyone that would be considered "top 6" talent.

-Hank (and I suspect Daniel as well) has been playing through injury.

-They've had even less secondary scoring support this year then the paltry support they've received the last few years.

Give them a talented, regular linemate with chemistry (perhaps Burr when he rounds back in to form?), a healthy Hank (and maybe Danny) and get a legit top 6 guy this summer and you will see them regain their standard 1+/PPG again.

I don't know if we can say it has nothing to do with age, but certainly a change in o-zone start rates, differing linemates, new coach and supporting scoring also play a part.

When they had a legit top 6 "winger" in Kesler and Hank was presumably healthy....how were they doing point-wise?

There was some sporadic secondary scoring from the likes of Santorelli and Higgins in that time frame as well if I recall.

Sure, they'll likely slow down to ~70, maybe even 60-something point guys by the end of their contracts (age) but everyone here is acting like their points are going off a @#$%'ing cliff as of now with zero context.

The Sedins lack of production this season has nothing to do with them getting older.

-They've had very little in the way of a third line mate with any regularity, chemistry, or anyone that would be considered "top 6" talent.

-Hank (and I suspect Daniel as well) has been playing through injury.

-They've had even less secondary scoring support this year then the paltry support they've received the last few years.

Give them a talented, regular linemate with chemistry (perhaps Burr when he rounds back in to form?), a healthy Hank (and maybe Danny) and get a legit top 6 guy this summer and you will see them regain their standard 1+/PPG again.

I’ll disagree with that. Hank and Daniel are supposed to be elite talents. How many teams have a number one line full of elite players. I’ve posted this before but I’ll post it again

Toews Sharp Bickell

Crosby Kunitz _____whoever they feel at the time

Malkin Neal _____

Hossa Kane Saad (as a rookie last year)

Stamkos St Louis _____

Ovechkin Backstrom Mojo

Seguin Benn ____

Getzlaf Perry ____

There’s a common theme, two elite players can make fringe second/ third liners play like on a top linemate

We have seen in the past that these two can play with anyone; Arvedson, Klatt, Bertuzzi, Jason King, Carter, Pyatt, Burrows and still be dominant players. I don’t know if it is age that has caught up with them, injuries, or just a lack of confidence from not scoring but they don’t look the same. They often lose battle and easily get knocked off the puck, something that was unheard of in the past. Can anyone really say that Daniel looks like a 7 million player without his brother?

The good thing is that these two players are extremely smart, committed and highly talented players. They are not that old and can still catch fire to become the players they were in the past. My hope is now that Henrik is missing a few games he can look at the game from a different view, not take for granted his own talents and really use them again. Sometimes playing that many games consecutively doesn’t let you see a different angle of the things that happen on ice. Maybe some time off is what he needed to get going again.

I’ll disagree with that. Hank and Daniel are supposed to be elite talents. How many teams have a number one line full of elite players. I’ve posted this before but I’ll post it again

Toews Sharp Bickell

Crosby Kunitz _____whoever they feel at the time

Malkin Neal _____

Hossa Kane Saad (as a rookie last year)

Stamkos St Louis _____

Ovechkin Backstrom Mojo

Seguin Benn ____

Getzlaf Perry ____

There’s a common theme, two elite players can make fringe second/ third liners play like on a top linemate

We have seen in the past that these two can play with anyone; Arvedson, Klatt, Bertuzzi, Jason King, Carter, Pyatt, Burrows and still be dominant players. I don’t know if it is age that has caught up with them, injuries, or just a lack of confidence from not scoring but they don’t look the same. They often lose battle and easily get knocked off the puck, something that was unheard of in the past. Can anyone really say that Daniel looks like a 7 million player without his brother?

The good thing is that these two players are extremely smart, committed and highly talented players. They are not that old and can still catch fire to become the players they were in the past. My hope is now that Henrik is missing a few games he can look at the game from a different view, not take for granted his own talents and really use them again. Sometimes playing that many games consecutively doesn’t let you see a different angle of the things that happen on ice. Maybe some time off is what he needed to get going again.

They are definitely two very rare players and we might never have players like them again. Even if the sedins don't win a cup they will make the hall of fame for sure.

Olympic Gold, WC gold, WJ's, 2 Art Ross, One Hart, 2 Presidents Trophys, 1 Stanley Cup finals appearance.

Like for example....Burrows ;)

The fringe third and more commonly fourth liners they HAVE been playing with are not talented enough. Period. Burrows being an excellent third/fringe second liner whom they have chemistry with is all I'm talking about.

Add the injuries and the lack of secondary support and we're back at my point.

i would like to see Kassian with the twins closer to the end of the season to see if they can get something going but would kinda suck since Kass is a pretty good play maker that we would be taking away from a different line.

Maybe next year someone from our prospect pool will step up.

What they need is a burrows with a better finish do we even have that in our system at the moment? Dane Fox (if he turns out to be the real deal?)

Kassian has 2 more points than Weise. Zack's played more games than Weise and gets more ice time Weise. Weise is +2 while Zack is - 5 .

Someone should start a 'Weise making a case for himself' thread.

Weise has been better lately, but he's still a punching bag and doesn't inspire mirth or fear like Kass does.... Give yer head a shake brain child.

Search Results

mirth

mərTH/

noun

noun: mirth

amusement, esp. as expressed in laughter.

"his six-foot frame shook with mirth" synonyms: merriment, high spirits, cheerfulness, cheeriness, hilarity, glee, laughter, gaiety, buoyancy, blitheness, euphoria, exhilaration, lightheartedness, joviality, joy, joyfulness, joyousness More

Hey guys and gals. Just came back from today's game and want to give a few notes on Kass's play from a neutral point, no bias involved. I know you might think I am cause I like the guy but this is real talk according to today's Hawks game so take it for what it's worth:

- Zack was easily the best Canuck player out there and was maybe even was the best player from both teams. He played like a machine and was flying everywhere. Whenever he had the puck, honestly - no exaggeration, fans would get excited cause they saw the it factor he played wih tonight. He was on the money throughout the game and seemed like he got played a ton of minutes from what I saw.

- His passing really really is just amazing, simply put. Just a deadly passer and can feed the puck to a player from anywhere...had this one backhand sauce that went a couple dozen feet down the ice and 10 or so feet in the air and perfectly placed in on Daniel's stick.

- Skating is tremendous and he goes like the wind. Very smooth skater, ankle broke a Hawks player early in the game and it leads to him being a big, big threat. Created many scoring chances and his shots are very smartly taken.

- Kassian's play without the puck was much improved today and seems his awareness in that sense has gone up a lot. His position was solid, stick on the ice, looking up, and just had a good feel to everything around him, his surroundings. Pretty sure he had an assist today too and really was one of his best games this year close to a couple other great games he's played also this campaign. Also he's back checking and his defensive play was great. Wasn't lazy, also knew where his man was and never gave room for him to move around in.

- He'a throwing around his body intelligently and not taking any unnecessary penalties cause of it. He is a big body, can do a lot if damage but is slowly getting into the physical department of it. His skating is tremendous and he can really give it to a player but he's smart, isn't careless and is putting it all together. Forechecking was good too.

Looked like a bull out there and was the shining star from the blue and green today. Played an excellent game and showed the glimpse of the power forward he can be. When he says his idol was Big Bert and wants to be like him and people mock him for putting such high expectations, think again cause he can easily become that type of player. Take of your homer glasses (me included), judge him from a neutral point without bias and you really will see he is nothing but a gem. Played like a premier power forward tonight and did everything right...believe me or not, this is how he played and take this for whatever it's worth :)

Kassian has 2 more points than Weise. Zack's played more games than Weise and gets more ice time Weise. Weise is +2 while Zack is - 5 .

Someone should start a 'Weise making a case for himself' thread.

Well that would be a lovely little job for you then, wouldn't it?

regards,

G.

Shocking revelation: Zack Kassian does not exist

/

zackkassian-e1391036970595aa.jpg

It’s been a trying season for Vancouver fans. After years of the Canucks hanging with the elite of the NHL’s Western Conference like Raven Symone with Mr. Cooper, the team has taken a step back. They’re still a likely playoff team, but only just barely, and there is literally nothing worse for a fan to endure than only just barely making the playoffs. No one understands our pain.

Fans have been forced this season to cheer for moral victories and just one Sedin (and, as it turns out, not the good one). They’ve had to grit their teeth through a historic suspension to first-year coach John Tortorella and a brief, unrequited romance with Vinny “

Prospal. Chris Tanev has a thumb injury. Jannik Hansen’s fallen off a cliff. The powerplay looks like it’s directed by Tommy Wiseau. It’s been tough sledding out here in Vancouver.

All that in mind, I hesitate to further compound the mental anguish through which the 2013-14 season is currently putting us, but, my friends, I have uncovered a lie so shocking it absolutely has to be shared. Please forgive me my dedication to the truth, but the people need to know:

Zack Kassian does not exist.

He’s not real. He’s never been real. He’s a delusion come to life, a folie à plusieurs, a madness of many, a shared psychosis borne of the collective trauma of the Stanley Cup Final.

Don’t fight this new information. Think about it. Ask yourself, why has Zack Kassian yet to play a single minute of overtime under John Tortorella? Because he’s not an option. He’s not real. Why does Zack Kassian get so few shifts with the Sedins? Because the Sedins play better with actual players that exist.

Asked about his refusal to skate Kassian with the Sedins, John Tortorella was clear and convincing, explaining that Kassian is coming along slowly, that he needs to learn some other aspects of the game before he can be trusted to skate alongside the twins, who face the NHL’s best defenders and two-way players night-in and night-out. But since when has John Tortorella been that clear and concise? His words read like a carefully crafted statement.

And perhaps they were. Perhaps the Vancouver Canucks, knowing the fans are desperate to continue believing in a creature that does not exist, are doing their best to continue the delusion, for fear that their fans will be unable to handle the truth.

It was, of course, an inability to cope with reality that led to the creation of Kassian in the first place. The Stanley Cup Final was difficult to watch, and it was clear throughout that series that the Canucks were in need of toughness.

And so, while some fans acted out the need for toughness physically, displaying in the streets of the city what they wanted the team to do on the ice, the other, more passive fans, looked inward, and dreamed up a player with the potential of a young man, the strong, muscular, aged body of a mature man, a mean streak, and all the other tools necessary to be hockey’s next great power forward.

Is it any wonder that Kassian looks like a mythical creature?

He is one.

I know, you may have some questions. If he’s real, then what happened to Cody Hodgson? Sadly, he never existed either. He was a shared delusion borne out of our desire to have another Trevor Linden, shortly after Canucks fans couldn’t cope with the trauma of missing the 2008 playoffs.

Think about it: Buffalo has no centres, despite the fact that the Canucks allegedly traded one to them. Because they didn’t. It never happened. The Canucks never traded Cody Hodgson because they never had Cody Hodgson, and they never got Zack Kassian either.

You may be asking yourself: if this is nothing but delusion, then why is it going so poorly? Why would we collectively imagine Hodgson having a falling out with Canucks management, or Kassian struggling to put it all together?

Simple: cheering for this team is pure masochism. Canucks fans are the most self-hating fans in the NHL. Of course even our fantasies are going to let us down.

Archived