The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's going on with David Booth?

Everybody Hates Raymond

If he is healthy and sitting I think Mg should go redden/Gomez route and buyout during season with agreement from league. Don't have to waste roster spot, clears some of his 4.25m for remainder of season, no risk of injury, and David can sign somewhere he thinks he would fit in.

I'll take a little cap effect this season knowing 4.25 is gone next season.

If he is healthy and sitting I think Mg should go redden/Gomez route and buyout during season with agreement from league. Don't have to waste roster spot, clears some of his 4.25m for remainder of season, no risk of injury, and David can sign somewhere he thinks he would fit in.

I'll take a little cap effect this season knowing 4.25 is gone next season.

Maybe those wheels are in motion. It would explain his absence at the skills competition.

There are only a couple of reasons why Booth wasnt at the Super Skills..1. He is sick or injured, but he hasnt played enough to get injured, could have the Flu however....2. He is held out for trade/demotion purposes, but even then he hasnt been traded or demoted yet that we know of. or 3. He walked on the team which is highly unlikely .

You dont bench or hold out a player for a family/team event like this.

I have a feeling (no basis for this) that he just isn't fitting in or totally committed and connected to the team. I like the elements he brings to the game when he's on and invested. But the Superskills is not only a charity event, it's a team bonding experience. The guys can let down their guard and the game faces and have some fun (together).

And to the person questioning how this relates to my previous post...it doesn't, but the question was what's going on with David Booth and, seemingly, not a whole lot. Which could suggest he's slowly phasing himself out of the lineup. Again, pure speculation on my part, but the guys gel over time and the chemistry off ice can translate on ice as well. So it's disheartening to not see him there. As stated, injury doesn't make sense as other injured players participated and it leaves little reason beyond that. Family commitments/issues?...maybe. But when you've missed a bunch of time to injury, etc., it's important to be there, to get caught up with every aspect of the team.

Did you read where Torts says to the press "Booth, I can't find him"? Unless you are deliberately trying to ignore the evidence, Booth is a healthy scratch. Torts may not give details of injuries but he doesn't deny when A player is out because of one. Booth's comment about not wanting to get into trouble by saying something is also an pretty strong indication he is healthy enough to play but is being scratched. Looking at the numbers Deb posted, he may be +4 but with no hits, shots, points he is not playing the role of a top 6 winger. The team has lots of cheaper options for a guy that can simply skate fast and ck decently.

He plays played with Richardson and Kassian. Not exactly top 6 players but ok, apparently a scorer with 2 bottom six players somehow has to produce top 6 minutes by himself.

The team has nobody who can drive to the net an cause havoc the way Booth does. Even on occasions when he doesn't get the puck on net, it creates a chance for the team.

With a convoluted, ironic twist, maybe this lump DID help the team? Don't wanna go analytically & chronologically, over the top(leave that for others), but consider...Had he been bought out, maybe MG/LG wouldn't have been as motivated to deal-shop/cost-cut, etc... Perhaps we wouldn't have obtained Stanton, Weber, Santorelli, Richardson, Dalpe AND Welsh? All of whom cost less cap than Grizzled-Booth, ALONE! We might have concentrated strategy towards more established, higher-cost assets & missed out! Gee thanks, Mr Booth!

Ive liked what Torts has done thus far but I dont agree at all how he has dealt with Booth. So many games weve seen Kesler, the twins and Higgens play bad or go games without scoring a point yet they are given the chance to play themselves out of it. When it comes to Booth, he gets benched or is up in the press boxes. Playing a goal scorer on the 3rd line in a non scoring role is not gonna get Booth on his game.

When I watch Booth out there , I see someone who is crashing hard to the net and always finishing his checks. He is the first player to be backchecking and covering his D-men when they pinch. I think its a mistake to have him in the press boxes

Archived