The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Lol

You must not think highly of Horvat then. His ceiling is ROR.

HIs ceiling is actually apparently Bergeron Toews comparable

The Canucks would by giddy if Horvat reached ROR levels of production.

By that you mean 1 single 30 goal season, 1 single 55 point season? I'd consider a 9th overall pick a bust at that stage

YOu over rate Stanton hugely.

He's a bottom pairing d-man, the type you can find on waivers quite regularly.

Oh I agree he's been a decent find, but he's getting sheltered minutes, and likely will never be a top 4 pairing type guy.

Colorado likely won't trade ROR, and if they do it will be for the best d-man they can find. it won't be for a collection of stuff.

I think you're vastly underrating Stanton myself,

since he got injured our shots against has climbed, outside chances and odd man rushes have climbed and obviously we've been losing regularly. When Edler went down and he was getting top 4 minutes he was far from sheltered and was doing great. Don't forget he's a rookie and was pacing Krug for points in Boston. Hard to say what his potential is but he's more physical than Tanev and has a better shot than Tanev as well.

Blue knows that was a gross overpayment to even suggest that trade

Why does everyone want to trade edler so bad? So what the guy is having an off year, so is Burrows.. so is hansen. I do like the idea of getting o'reilly but I would not give up on edler so fast. Would way rather give garrison.

Garrison + hansen for o'reilly

Schroeder + 2nd for ott

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'reilly kesler kassian

Higgins ott santorelli

Lain/archibald Richardson weise/sestito

Hamhuis bieksa

Edler tanev

Stanton corrado

Lu

Lack

The Canucks would by giddy if Horvat reached ROR levels of production.

Absolutely. The guy is a great top six player. But if you had asked me which player I would pick at draft time, the answer would be easy. Doesn't mean Bo's success is a foregone conclusion but to say he has the ceiling of being a top six player is underselling his potential.

Why does everyone want to trade edler so bad? So what the guy is having an off year, so is Burrows.. so is hansen. I do like the idea of getting o'reilly but I would not give up on edler so fast. Would way rather give garrison.

Schroeder + 2nd for ott

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'reilly kesler kassian

Higgins ott santorelli

Hamhuis bieksa

Edler tanev

Stanton corrado

Lu

Lack

Rather trade edler . Garrison is way more stable.

Imagine the hype over Chris Higgins if we had the social media nonsense back when he has 3 straight 20+ goal seasons with MTL....ROR is essentially a marginally better version of Higgins. If you think he's magically going to make this team more deadly, you're delusional.

He would be a huge asset to the team for energy, physicality and leadership.

Horvat is also comparable to him so he would be a great template for his development.

He's been on pace to put up 70 points a season AND he's only 23...

I'd say you're the delusional one.

Schroeder + 2nd for ott

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'reilly kesler kassian

Higgins ott santorelli

Hamhuis bieksa

Edler tanev

Stanton corrado

Lu

Lack

WHY would we want to trade Garrison, who, like Hamhuis, took $1-$1.5 million less to sign Vancouver, has the most points on our defence, and has arguably been our best defenceman at times? And why do we want to trade Edler? For the 5000th time, he is our most valuable defenceman that we can afford to trade.

He would be a huge asset to the team for energy, physicality and leadership.

Horvat is also comparable to him so he would be a great template for his development.

He's been on pace to put up 70 points a season AND he's only 23...

I'd say you're the delusional one.

And Kesler, the guy who's scored 40, won a Selke and been nominated two other times, and plays like a bull wouldn't be a perfect template for Horvat's development?

I also think Horvat's comparable is Couture, a 30-35 65 kind of player who works well on both special teams and can score 5 on 5. O'Reilly has yet to score more than 20 goals, and until he does so, he'll be just that, a 50 point player who hasn't scored 20 gaols in a season.

Hamhuis>Tanev>Garrison>Bieksa>Stanton>Edler. In regards to which defenseman has played the best to which defenseman has play the worst so far this season. Depth Defenseman and rookies(besides Stanton) not included.

Edler looks like the odd man out. Edler's cap also the same as O'Reilly's making cap a non-issue for us. We also have a bunch of LHD Defenseman in our core giving us another reason to trade Edler.

Tanev, Stanton and Corrado should be pretty much untouchable. We have a bright future in Defense, we shouldn't mess with it by trading our young defenseman when we have an underperforming defenseman in Edler who has trade value.

If we do trade with Colorado for O'Reilly we should also snag one of Sarich(Big RHD Veteran Defenseman) or Holden (Big LHD Rookie Defenseman) to replace Edler.

Hamhuis>Tanev>Garrison>Bieksa>Stanton>Edler. In regards to which defenseman has played the best to which defenseman has play the worst so far this season.

Gotta say, Tanev has easily outplayed Hamhuis this year. He's been solid all season. Hammer was really rough early on, and since being named to TC.

I like Corrado, but if we are talking about players like ROR, I wouldn't let him be a deal breaker.

And Kesler, the guy who's scored 40, won a Selke and been nominated two other times, and plays like a bull wouldn't be a perfect template for Horvat's development?

I also think Horvat's comparable is Couture, a 30-35 65 kind of player who works well on both special teams and can score 5 on 5. O'Reilly has yet to score more than 20 goals, and until he does so, he'll be just that, a 50 point player who hasn't scored 20 gaols in a season.

O'Reilly has 18 goals already, so he should easily be able to break 20. O'Reilly is also 7th in takeaways and is currently on pace for a career year. Don't forget he is only 22 so he has a ton of potential. As O'Reilly gets older I can see him becoming one of the better two-way players in the league. I wouldn't mind having O'Reilly on our team and Torts probably wouldn't mind as well considering O'Reilly plays a strong two way game.

Having a bunch of talented two way players (ie, Kesler and O'Reilly) and/or two way players that have potential to get better (ie, Horvat and O'Reilly) is not a bad thing. It is pretty much what teams like SJS, LA, BOS and CHI almost mostly consist of.

O'Reilly has 18 goals already, so he should easily be able to break 20. O'Reilly is also 7th in takeaways and is currently on pace for a career year. Don't forget he is only 22 so he has a ton of potential. As O'Reilly gets older I can see him becoming one of the better two-way players in the league. I wouldn't mind having O'Reilly on our team and Torts probably wouldn't mind as well considering O'Reilly plays a strong two way game.

Having a bunch of talented two way players (ie, Kesler and O'Reilly) and/or two way players that have potential to get better (ie, Horvat and O'Reilly) is not a bad thing. It is pretty much what teams like SJS, LA, BOS and CHI almost mostly consist of.

I'd love O'Reilly, don't get me wrong, but I don't see him as some sort of savior that most of CDC does. He scores through work rate and hockey IQ, not supreme skill. Nothing wrong with this kind of player as the solid two-way players are the foundation that playoff teams are built around. There's a reason Edmonton still sucks and it isn't because they don't have enough top end skill.

If the Canucks were to add a young player for the top 6, I'd prefer O'Reilly over Kane. O'Reilly produces at a similar rate to Kane and can play in his own zone and would again free up the Sedins from having to match against opponents top lines. E. Kane can't do that so if the Canucks want to add a one dimensional goal scorer, it needs to be someone who produces more than E. Kane does.

As a sidenote, I thought the complaint about this Canucks team is that they have too many two-way players in Hansen, Higgins, Kesler and no pure scorers. I don't particularly buy into that narrative, but I am slightly confused how the same people who claim we need 'finishers' also want to overpay by miles for essentially adding another Kesler or Higgins type player.

Gotta say, Tanev has easily outplayed Hamhuis this year. He's been solid all season. Hammer was really rough early on, and since being named to TC.

I like Corrado, but if we are talking about players like ROR, I wouldn't let him be a deal breaker.

Yeah I was kind of at a loss between Tanev vs. Hamhuis for best defenseman. I chose Hamhuis because he basically plays the most minutes on the team, against the toughest players and in all key situations. Hammer really picked up since the start of the season and the same can be said about almost every single one of our players in regards to hammer playing like crap since being named to TC.

When our Defense was healthy it was key in our success this season and I see it being a key for us in the future as well.

Edler should be the main piece we send Colorado if we want O'Reilly, I am sure there would be a few other smaller pieces as well if the trade did happen.

Our future is almost pretty much set in Defenseman with Corrado, Tanev and Stanton. A promising OFD though would be nice to have in our system, we can get one in one of the future drafts, etc.

I'd love O'Reilly, don't get me wrong, but I don't see him as some sort of savior that most of CDC does. He scores through work rate and hockey IQ, not supreme skill. Nothing wrong with this kind of player as the solid two-way players are the foundation that playoff teams are built around. There's a reason Edmonton still sucks and it isn't because they don't have enough top end skill.

If the Canucks were to add a young player for the top 6, I'd prefer O'Reilly over Kane. O'Reilly produces at a similar rate to Kane and can play in his own zone and would again free up the Sedins from having to match against opponents top lines. E. Kane can't do that so if the Canucks want to add a one dimensional goal scorer, it needs to be someone who produces more than E. Kane does.

As a sidenote, I thought the complaint about this Canucks team is that they have too many two-way players in Hansen, Higgins, Kesler and no pure scorers. I don't particularly buy into that narrative, but I am slightly confused how the same people who claim we need 'finishers' also want to overpay by miles for essentially adding another Kesler or Higgins type player.

I thought our problem was more that we have too many 3rd liners and not enough top 6 talent. O'Reilly is more than capable of playing big minutes.

I don't think one player is ever the savior of any team, unless that player is Crosby. I think O'Reilly though would be a key piece of our future if we got him. I want O'Reilly because I see our team in the post-Sedin era becoming more like how BOS and LA are now, a good defensive and physical team which I think is a good change. Just look at how we have drafted and imagine how are team would look like 5 years from now. A player like O'Reilly would be a good fit if that's the direction we are going under Torts.

Yeah I was kind of at a loss between Tanev vs. Hamhuis for best defenseman. I chose Hamhuis because he basically plays the most minutes on the team, against the toughest players and in all key situations. Hammer really picked up since the start of the season and the same can be said about almost every single one of our players in regards to hammer playing like crap since being named to TC.

When our Defense was healthy it was key in our success this season and I see it being a key for us in the future as well.

Edler should be the main piece we send Colorado if we want O'Reilly, I am sure there would be a few other smaller pieces as well if the trade did happen.

Our future is almost pretty much set in Defenseman with Corrado, Tanev and Stanton. A promising OFD though would be nice to have in our system, we can get one in one of the future drafts, etc.

Edler seems like the most logical piece in that trade, even if I think COL needs to add something solid to go with that to make it work. Out of the two, Edler is clearly has the better value, 'steady' success and contract. We'd be the ones taking the big chance.

Edler seems like the most logical piece in that trade, even if I think COL needs to add something solid to go with that to make it work. Out of the two, Edler is clearly has the better value, 'steady' success and contract. We'd be the ones taking the big chance.

Edler for ROR and Siemens?

Schroeder + 2nd for ott

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'reilly kesler kassian

Higgins ott santorelli

Hamhuis bieksa

Edler tanev

Stanton corrado

Lu

Lack

I'd do the first deal for sure. I'd almost rather keep Schroeder and the second though. Ott would be nice but he's getting older. I'd rather Santorelli centering the third line with Schroeder on his wing or even booth who's not doing terrible on the third. Then you still got a chance to make hockey players out of JS and the second.

Haha not even close. Tanev never shoots the puck or always forces passes sometimes. He always gets hit because he holds onto the puck too long, he has a good first pass but sometimes he needs to just get the quick up to a forward instead of holding on till the end.

Hamhuis knows when to pass, better skater and better offensively. Defensively Hamhuis is always in position and the only time he makes a mistake is if it the puck bounces off his skate.

trade garrison soft, week on the puck terrible first pass and can't hit the net with his slapper and doesn't hit. edler while guilty of poor coverage and a bit enigmatic he can and does hit the net with his shot, Hits hard, clears the crease and makes good first pass not to mention he doesn't serve it up like garrison does when clearing the zone. garrison has been yet another disappointment from florida. to bad everyones got NTC's

Archived