The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

I like this trade alot.

Last year, Diaz was able to put up great numbers (8 points in 6 games, 6 PPP) when Subban was holding out with the contract talks. I understand this is a tiny sample size, but look at how Montreal use their Dmen.

http://www.nhl.com/i...wName=timeOnIce

Whenever Subban and Markov are available. They are being used for the entire PP, Diaz will only be out there with a less offensively capable crew for a short amount of time.

Just this season, Diaz has been given 56mins of PP while Subban and Markov are each given 230+ PPmins.

And besides, we gave up Weise, who was a decent 4th liner. But as many of you guys mentioned, he was becoming redundant. We do have Archibald and others who can play that role.

Weise really had no role on this team. Which is sad, because this team is always criticised for it's lack of size, which he has.

If he could ever improve his speed and consistency, he might still develop as a big guy who can put a puck or two in the net, like a poor man's Taylor Pyatt. But I don't blame Torts for showing him the door twice.

Hey maybe this means Kassian will have to drop 'em more.

fastest skater on the canucks 2 years in a row :picard:

Alberts falls under the $900k (at $600K) cap relief we would actually get. That said, I'm pretty sure we have space without having to move Alberts anyway especially if we take advantage of LTIR cap relief at some point.

We can also use the LTIR cap relief on Santorelli, since he's going to be gone for the remaining of the season, can we not? Granted, it's not a huge sum of money by any means, but we'll have the space for moves like this.

MG messed up again! Weise could've gotten us 2 1st round picks or at least a top 10 pick... But we get diaz instead. Sad day for the Canucks organization.

haha just kidding. I might be overthinking this but if MG is indeed shopping edler, bieksa and maybe garrison, Diaz may have been brought over to be a bandaid for the next little while.

I've got to agree with you. Tanev, although liked by all, as you said "works on too many levels." Cheap, young, and is playing very well. His return would be higher than his worth at this point. The injury doesn't help, so perhaps it's a draft day trade.

Yup and one of the biggest speed bumps to trading Edler IMO with the cap going down this year is finding a team able to take on his salary without us taking some back. If Gillis is aiming to get more picks/prospects Tanev's much more affordable (current) salary makes moving him much easier. (Then there's Edler's NTC and a myriad of other reasons as well.)

WHAT A $*$*#*$$ JOKE.

I HOPE MG CHOKES ON A MAJOR ...

IS HE INSANE? DALEEEEEEE WEISE? JUST TRADE MY 3RD FAVOURITE PLAYER. I HATE THIS MAGGOT GM.

he tried to kick out my favourite but the owner didn't let him. Now he pulls this bs? What a joke.

He traded a full on heart and soul guy. What a joke.

Relax ..

Yup and one of the biggest speed bumps to trading Edler IMO with the cap going down this year is finding a team able to take on his salary without us taking some back. If Gillis is aiming to get more picks/prospects Tanev's much more affordable (current) salary makes moving him much easier. (Then there's Edler's NTC and a myriad of other reasons as well.)

We could always agree to eat half of Edler's salary this season. I'd rather keep a young defenseman who is improving and already better than a defenseman who's getting worse and worse when he should be hitting his prime.

What makes some of you guys think that this sets them up for an Edler trade?

Weber and Alberts are the odd men out. Plus we dont know the extent of Tanev's inury.

Due to injuries they need NHL calibre d-men during this crucial time when they are fighting for their playoff lives. I wouldnt read too much into it other than that.

Weise was expendable nice to see a solid player coming back if it's Diaz i'm very happy with this deal. Diaz can slow as the 6th/7th dman that could provide an offensive lift. Even though he's a softer player we have other players that can step it up in the toughness area and provide some gritty checks.

Montreal boards think they should have gotten more for Diaz. Think he's worth more than a fourth liner.

Read things like Diaz has the higher upside, lots of sarcastic "great another grinder", shoulda traded Diaz sooner and got more, maybe he'll steal webers job again

We can also use the LTIR cap relief on Santorelli, since he's going to be gone for the remaining of the season, can we not? Granted, it's not a huge sum of money by any means, but we'll have the space for moves like this.

Alberts falls under the $900k (at $600K) cap relief we would actually get. That said, I'm pretty sure we have space without having to move Alberts anyway especially if we take advantage of LTIR cap relief at some point.

Montreal boards think they should have gotten more for Diaz. Think he's worth more than a fourth liner.

Read things like Diaz has the higher upside, lots of sarcastic "great another grinder", shoulda traded Diaz sooner and got more, maybe he'll steal webers job again

I'd say that's all accurate. This trade is a head scratcher from Montreal's side

Love the deal.

And the reactions of people who think this means Edler will now be dealt. Not paying much attention apparently.

Diaz is not as soft some people here are implying - and he has 100 blocked shots this year - which puts him in the top 30 in the NHL and top 30 in blocks/60min.

He also has pretty good underlying numbers (8th on the Habs) with 42.9% ozone starts.

A UFA for a UFA - both at reasonable cap hits that don't hamper either club for the rest of the season if they intend further moves.

Anyone complaining about this deal is either oblivious, or understandably, part of the Dale Weise Cult fan club. The latter group have my full and unequivocal respect.

Thanks to Dale Weise for being a hard working Canuck. He was surprising at times, frustrating at others. He was probably the roster player the team could most afford to move. I'm glad he landed on a team I really like - the Habs. As for the Canucks, they got a player that fits their immediate needs very well imo.

I think this is a hell of a crafty move on Gillis' part.

Archived