The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Only 3, vs 4 center man and few D.

Too much wealth in the middle IMO, and its not like any of them are really all that valuable right now past being decent pieces in package deals even if we did want to trade any of them. (Besides Horvat who we shouldn't traded)

Just would have preferred Scherbak seems like he will develop into a great player, perfect for the West, or even Barbashev if we were going to go with a center.

This may be the first time anyone has ever said that "too much wealth in the middle" was a bad thing.

Only 3, vs 4 center man and few D.

Too much wealth in the middle IMO, and its not like any of them are really all that valuable right now past being decent pieces in package deals even if we did want to trade any of them. (Besides Horvat who we shouldn't traded)

Just would have preferred Scherbak seems like he will develop into a great player, perfect for the West, or even Barbashev if we were going to go with a center.

There's no such thing as too much wealth in the middle. It's the most important position to have strength in next to goal. Centres can be easily converted to wing. Also, a few of our prospects won't pan out as we're hoping I would suspect; it usually happens, so more centres=better.

Lat year TSN had complete coverage of rounds 2-7 on the Saturday. Just checking the listings it looks like Wimbledon on TSN and TSN 2. WTF? Glad for hockey to be moving on the Sportsnet next year if that's gonna be the case.

I think NHL.com is streaming it for everyone at least

This may be the first time anyone has ever said that "too much wealth in the middle" was a bad thing.

There's no such thing as too much wealth in the middle. It's the most important position to have strength in next to goal. Centres can be easily converted to wing. Also, a few of our prospects won't pan out as we're hoping I would suspect; it usually happens, so more centres=better.

If you have depth elsewhere its not but we don't.

Even if you feel they can be easily converted, I would kind of have preferred Sherbak or Barbashev on the wing.

I was open to it as well as keeping the picks but I never committed to anything.

2nd overalls usually turn out be great players and there was a definite top 5 whereas in this draft 6-15 was open to anyone going anywhere.

BanTSN also called Virtanen an all-star power forward. Do you support that accusation?

Virtanen will be a good player but that is an idiotic accusation.

Nope. I don't support that at all.

But over the last week we ALL got heated and the prospect of getting the 1st overall had some hyping Reinhart to mythical aspects while ignoring the common sense hypocrisy of their claims.

I do not support the claim of him being an all star any more than I do the claim of trading 3 solid possibilities for 1 possibility is a good or worthy gamble.

Just keeping people honest.

And glad this mess is over tomorrow so we can all get back to normal and over evaluate our prospects and what to do with all that cap space

He's listed as C.

But if he's a LW, then great, we passed on another winger who could have really helped us.

It doesn't really matter. It's easier to shift a C to wing than vice versa. I think you're getting too hung up on player "types".

If you have depth elsewhere its not but we don't.

Even if you feel they can be easily converted, I would kind of have preferred Sherbak or Barbashev on the wing.

Fair enough. I read your posts regularly and you always have reasoned opinions.

Another comment though; teams rarely draft for positional needs for certain positions because quality wingers and defence can be had through other avenues. Obviously not elite defensemen either, those are usually drafted too, although that position seems to be a bit more of a crap shoot in drafting because they take longer to develop.

Loading up on centremen in the draft I think is a smart oraganizational approach because there will be many personnel changes over the next couple of years that will address our other needs through trade and FA.

It doesn't really matter. It's easier to shift a C to wing than vice versa. I think you're getting too hung up on player "types".

I really like Barbashev.

I had him at #12 on my rankings, Scherbak after him at #13. Its not that I hate McCann (who I had #17).

But as you can see by the rankings, I just would have perferred Barbashev/Scherbak at #24.

The positive I will say is that, there's a chance Barbashev falls to #36, which would be great. But damn, Scherbak would have been nice.

Oh well, we got a good prospect in McCann, not too happy with the day overall, but as Jared said, "it is what it is".

I was open to it as well as keeping the picks but I never committed to anything.

2nd overalls usually turn out be great players and there was a definite top 5 whereas in this draft 6-15 was open to anyone going anywhere.

BanTSN also called Virtanen an all-star power forward. Do you support that accusation?

Virtanen will be a good player but that is an idiotic accusation.

You're underrating Virtanen imho. But who cares? These guys haven't proven anything thus far, so these 'accusations' are meaningless at the moment, right?

Funny how one opinion based on nothing is idiotic and the other opinion based on the same nothing is not.

I really like Barbashev.

I had him at #12 on my rankings, Scherbak after him at #13. Its not that I hate McCann (who I had #17).

But as you can see by the rankings, I just would have perferred Barbashev/Scherbak at #24.

The positive I will say is that, there's a chance Barbashev falls to #36, which would be great. But damn, Scherbak would have been nice.

Oh well, we got a good prospect in McCann, not too happy with the day overall, but as Jared said, "it is what it is".

Yeah I had Barbs 12-15 as well. I am honestly shocked he dropped.

Archived