The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, just checked out the Coaching and Staff page and there are a lot more scouts now than last time I check. I think the most recent addition last year was Judd Brackett (who knows every single transaction from Canadian Minor Hockey to NCAA if you follow him on twitter)

I think we could use a real blue chipper back there. Really who do we have that's promising that isn't part of the aging core? Tanev Corrado, maybe Hutton, maybe Subban. The others aren't exactly knocking at the door.

Up front we have Kassian Jensen Horvat Gaunce Shinkaruk, maybe Cassels maybe Fox showing promise.

Not saying we shouldn't draft a forward, I think I'd still rather grab a forward with the high pick this year. Just pointing out our future when Fleury will be breaking out, doesn't have a lot of promise in it defense wise.

Drafting a defensemen would be a waste of a pick, we have Hamhuis (31), Garrison (29), Edler (28 on the 21st), Bieksa (32), Stanton and Tanev who are still young. I believe Stanton is the only one who can't play top 4 minutes and I think it will stay that way until Bieksa hits around 36-37 but once Bieksa slows down then we got Corrado ready to jump. Hamhuis will be a top 6 defensemen until he hits 38-39. Our defense is fine we won't need to draft someone high until around 2-3 years from now because no one is slowing down anytime soon.

Hamhuis

Garrison

Edler

Bieksa

Tanev

Stanton

Corrado

Hutton

Subban

Cederholm

That is a deep group, I think all of the rookies I named will become NHL hockey players aswell and this is not including signings or trades.

Assuming we get the 7th overall pick, I hope we draft these players:

7th: Virtanen - (if not taken), Nylander - (if Virtanen is already chosen)

37th: Eric Cornel

67th: Sebastian Repo or Hannes Bjorninen (Finnish players)

97th: Justin Kirkland

Best case we win lotto --> Take Ekblad/Bennett/Reinhart one of them

2nd best case we draft 5th or 6th and are unaffected by lotto --> Take Dal Colle or Drasaitl

3rd best case scenario we draft 7th or 8th --> One of the above slips to us with Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen or Fleury going higher than expected, its very possible weirder off the board picks have happened and GMs have taken bigger risks early before.

Most likley --> We pick 7-9th and we take one of the 3 PWFs: Ritchie Virtanen Perlini, and whoever is ranked higher on our list that s available we will take. My rankings for these three has changed so many times I would imagine they have for our scouts as well.

I think Beg of season: Ritchie/Virtanen/Perlini

Mid Season: Perlini/Ritchie/Virtanen

Little bit after: Perlini=Ritchie=Virtanen

Before Post Season: Perlini/Ritchie/Virtanen

Post Season: Ritchie/Virtanen/Perlini

Now: I DONT KNOW! :frantic:

But I would think OUR scouts would be more in favour of still Perlini and Ritchie for that OHL connection

Worst case scenario we win last three games, and a team just higher in rankings wins lotto pushing us from 10th pick to 11th pick or something like that! LOL would be turrrrible

Drafting a defensemen would be a waste of a pick, we have Hamhuis (31), Garrison (29), Edler (28 on the 21st), Bieksa (32), Stanton and Tanev who are still young. I believe Stanton is the only one who can't play top 4 minutes and I think it will stay that way until Bieksa hits around 36-37 but once Bieksa slows down then we got Corrado ready to jump. Hamhuis will be a top 6 defensemen until he hits 38-39. Our defense is fine we won't need to draft someone high until around 2-3 years from now because no one is slowing down anytime soon.

Hamhuis

Garrison

Edler

Bieksa

Tanev

Stanton

Corrado

Hutton

Subban

Cederholm

That is a deep group, I think all of the rookies I named will become NHL hockey players aswell and this is not including signings or trades.

Waste of a pick? Lol anybody that takes the kid would have great use for him. I sure hope our next GM doesn't plan on rolling with the same top 4 guys until they're pushing 40.

If we're lucky enough to win the lottery that would be a good bargaining chip for a deal involving Tavares.

Hansen and #1 pick for Tavares

Snow could still retain his shot at Mcdavid and get Ekblad as well.

Keep Hansen, draft Ekblad.

If we're lucky enough to win the lottery that would be a good bargaining chip for a deal involving Tavares.

Hansen and #1 pick for Tavares

Snow could still retain his shot at Mcdavid and get Ekblad as well.

Hansen and a first for Tavares? Snow may be stupid, but he sure isn't retarded enough to do that deal.

Hamhuis

Garrison

Edler

Bieksa

Tanev

Stanton

Corrado

Hutton

Subban

Cederholm

I disagree. Hamhius won't be here for ever, and Bieksa's contract is almost up. By the time, Garrison's contract is done, I think someone like Haydn Fleury will be ready to take on a role as a top pairing dman.

And Immonen was part of that bronze team right? That's kinda a win for them considering the team they had. That's WHY you shouldn't mix up international level, like the Olympics, with the NHL. 2 completely different things. Everyone who's playing in the olympics aren't good enough to play in the NHL. I really think you're overating the finn-factor big time here. Take a look at the WJC 2013 and you will find a top-rated Finland team fighting for relegation to stay in the 1st division. Kapanen wasn't even part of the 2014 WJC Finland team that won gold. He hasn't even had a great season this year. But, because he's a finn, and "the latest experiences" you have about finns, he's the obvious 6th-9th overall pick in your opinion even though there might actually be better players available.

Sure he's talented, i never said he wasn't, but it's kinda ridiculous how highly you seem to rate him just because he's a finn. If we're gonna talk about winning, the only award Kapanen has won, is a bronze medal last year. A guy like Ritchie has won two gold medals and one bronze medal in 2 years. Right now there are only 23 finns registered at NHL.com, in other words, there're only 23 finns playing in the NHL. A few of them aren't even regulars on their respective teams.

There's one thing to say "we should draft that guy 'cause he seems like a really good player with good potential". It's a completely different thing to say "WE SHOULD DRAFT THAT GUY CAUSE HE'S A FINN, SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY VERY COACHABLE AND THEREFORE AWESOME!!!" even though that might not even be the case here. Of course you draft to become a winning team, but honestly have you really seen anything of Kapanen, or do you really think that Finns are pure super-heroes?

He wasn't on the team because he was injured, man. Jeeze, you are getting pretty worked up! I just feel you are underrating him is all.

He wasn't on the team because he was injured, man. Jeeze, you are getting pretty worked up! I just feel you are underrating him is all.

True, but he wasn't part of the team. I'm not underrating him, i just think he's not a top10 pick, and based on numerous rankings, i guess i'm not alone thinking that.

Sens win! We are in 8th, also Nashville gets a point. Carolina got spanked, still need them and Peg to win a game and we're in 6th.

Ideal season end if we lose to Colorado

Winnipeg beats Boston and then loses to Calgary. This gives Calgary the chance to tie us if they beat LA. Then we take on Calgary in a must lose game... Then all we gotta do is lose to Edmonton in the last game and Michael Dal Colle here we come.

Waste of a pick? Lol anybody that takes the kid would have great use for him. I sure hope our next GM doesn't plan on rolling with the same top 4 guys until they're pushing 40.

Well not quite a waste of a pick but we could use better on a forward.

Defensemens are easy to find in free agency anyways, we got Corrado being stuffed in the minors even though he can play in the NHL. Hutton looks like he can jump in 2-3 years so we got 2 guys ready to fill in soon and we still got alot more longshots left. Drafting 3-4 defensemens every draft will help us keep depth and eventually one of those defensemens will be knocking on the door.

Man I'm getting stoked. Even if we draft 8th we're still getting the last one left of ekblad Reinhart Bennett Draisaitl Dale Colle Nylander Ehlers Ritchie... If not Virtanen Kapanen fleury or Perlini.

Either way guys we finally did er... crapped the bed enough for a beauty prospect. One of those players will be a canuck someday and that is pretty sweet haha

Man I'm getting stoked. Even if we draft 8th we're still getting the last one left of ekblad Reinhart Bennett Draisaitl Dale Colle Nylander Ehlers Ritchie... If not Virtanen Kapanen fleury or Perlini.

Either way guys we finally did er... crapped the bed enough for a beauty prospect. One of those players will be a canuck someday and that is pretty sweet haha

How would you order the top 10

Archived