The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First, I was not talking about Europeans rather European Skaters. If you didn't know Yakupov played junior in the OHL. For that matter, Nylander was born in Canada. So I am not entirely sure what Finland and Sweden's population has to do with anything.

The point is that in the past 20 years only 2 European Skaters under 6 feet have went in top 12. Whatever the reason may be teams are reluctant to draft these types of players early. A few arguments has been made, you can agree or disagree, as to why this is the case:

1. They are scouted less

2. The quality of the competition varies greatly

3. The style of the game is different

I'm aware Yakupov played for Sarnia. He's still Russian though, and as long as KHL exist, that might be a concern. Does it really matter if he plays in europe or not if he's doing good?
My point about the population, is that there will ALWAYS be more canadians/americans than finns/swedes, because there are way more players. Maybe there haven't been a lot of players under 6 feet (European) that has been top10 worthy? That could also be the case? Your statement, "historically speaking" doesn't really say anything tbh.

Does Linden continue with the bigger, faster and younger philosophy for drafting....what is Linden looking for, to be honest he was never an aggressive player in his day, more of a Cdn version of the Sedins. I think Gillis was on to something when he decided to use a more Bruins, Kings model...Detroit is no longer the poster boys of the league. I read in a SFU study made on drafting Detroit actually ranked 21st overall....Vcr ranked 20th

Watched ehlers and perlinis higlights last night. Perlini doea t play physical as people have said but hea like a ryan getzlaf corey perry hybrid with hands size speed and a sick snipe.

I could see him going over bennett or leon. Totally doesnt matter 6th overall will be clutch

Does Linden continue with the bigger, faster and younger philosophy for drafting....what is Linden looking for, to be honest he was never an aggressive player in his day, more of a Cdn version of the Sedins. I think Gillis was on to something when he decided to use a more Bruins, Kings model...Detroit is no longer the poster boys of the league. I read in a SFU study made on drafting Detroit actually ranked 21st overall....Vcr ranked 20th

Interesting. Do you know where I'd be able to find it?

Never mind, video of the paper he wrote is here:

http://video.mit.edu/watch/better-off-guessing-measuring-the-quality-of-draft-decisions-peter-tingling-7270/

I think we can do some good business in the first round this year. It looks like we have the 6th pick, so here's how I play it.

To NYI: 6th overall 2014, Jannik Hansen

To VAN: 4th overall 2014, 34th overall 2014

To DET: Ryan Kesler, Jakob Markstrom

To VAN: 14th overall 2014, Anthony Mantha

To ANA: 14th overall 2014, 186th overall 2014, 7th round 2015

To VAN: 10th overall 2014

Canucks select 4th, 10th, 34th, 36th, 66th, 126th and 156th.

Take Leon Draisaitl, Haydn Fleury, Brendan Lemieux, Alex Nedeljkovic, Keegan Iverson, Hunter Smith and Ryan Mantha.

Follow that up with #TankForMcDavid, while looking to move Edler, Garrison, Burrows and Higgins for picks and prospects.

Projected lineup in a few years:

Mantha McDavid (Elite UFA)

Shinkaruk Draisaitl Kassian

Gaunce Horvat Jensen

Fox Lain Cassels

Fleury (Elite UFA)

Stanton Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Lack

Youth/inexperience would be our only problem!

I think we can do some good business in the first round this year. It looks like we have the 6th pick, so here's how I play it.

To NYI: 6th overall 2014, Jannik Hansen

To VAN: 4th overall 2014, 34th overall 2014

To DET: Ryan Kesler, Jakob Markstrom

To VAN: 14th overall 2014, Anthony Mantha

To ANA: 14th overall 2014, 186th overall 2014, 7th round 2015

To VAN: 10th overall 2014

Canucks select 4th, 10th, 34th, 36th, 66th, 126th and 156th.

Take Leon Draisaitl, Haydn Fleury, Brendan Lemieux, Alex Nedeljkovic, Keegan Iverson, Hunter Smith and Ryan Mantha.

Follow that up with #TankForMcDavid, while looking to move Edler, Garrison, Burrows and Higgins for picks and prospects.

Projected lineup in a few years:

Mantha McDavid (Elite UFA)

Shinkaruk Draisaitl Kassian

Gaunce Horvat Jensen

Fox Lain Cassels

Fleury (Elite UFA)

Stanton Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Lack

Youth/inexperience would be our only problem!

Huh?

Carolina up 4-1 now, and the 6th overall getting tantalizingly close to set for Vancouver.

EDIT: Wow! 4-4 now with Philly scoring three while I wrote this post! Might still need our boys to lose their final game.

So if Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are gone in the first three picks, and with Calgary rumoured to be going hard after Ritchie, we should be looking at one of either Dal Colle or Draisaitl being available at #6.

Sounds pretty good to me.

There are those pesky rumours about Edmonton being high enough on Draisaitl that he might go 3rd overall, but I can't see how they can sell their fanbase on passing on another top-ranked D and picking yet another forward in the first round. And if Ekblad is gone in the top-2, can they really pass on Reinhart or Bennett (and it they do, one of those just drops closer to us).

The way things are stacking up, I feel like we'll be loving whoever we take with #6 (unless we go off the board in some crazy way).

There's even an outside chance of Ekblad (who's still ranked #1 by some organizations) falling to #6, if the recent rumours are to be believed (re: Edmonton, NYI, and Calgary's potential targets). I haven't even considered this option until now as I never felt like there was a remote chance of him being available when the Canucks picked.

It really seems like we can't go wrong if we just stay within the rankings and pick BPA.

And as much as I like Ehlers, I'd rather go with more of a consensus #6 and then maybe look to grab a risk/reward guy who falls to the 2nd round (or possibly acquire another 1st round pick if one of the riskier players with potential elite talent is dropping down the board and still hanging around in the 15-25 range).

Archived