The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would be fine with trading the pick. Even If we win the lottery. There are always stupid GMs and someone would overpay to have a little fun at draft day.

I believe in Nylander but he would be a couple of years away from making impact and we need a top 6 scorer faster than that.

I've been researching these prospects for quite some time now. A lot more so than other years. But I have not made up my mind on who I would like to see picked.

Presuming the top 5 are gone, there appears to be a lot of different opinions on who we should take. But what I'm wondering is what worry people about Ritchie fundementally? The other players in his range have all had a weakness clearly identified. But with him all I hear over and over is that he's big and won't be able to use his size in the NHL.

Why won't he be able to use his size in the NHL? I hear he has good speed so it can't be that. Is his shot weak? does he lack hockey sense? Does he shy away from the physical game against bigger people? I would like a solid opinion on him that doesn't talk about him being too big.

I've read that he is weak defensivily. So I already know that and don't think it is a make or break deal. Defense can be taught and we have Horvat, Gaunce etc who are great in their own end. We need a player who can excel offensively in my opinion.

Consistency is his biggest issue but that's not uncommon.

Everything else is NHL quality. His shot is a plus, his skating is a plus, his hockey sense is a plus, his physical game is a plus.

He's a very rare package.

I've been researching these prospects for quite some time now. A lot more so than other years. But I have not made up my mind on who I would like to see picked.

Presuming the top 5 are gone, there appears to be a lot of different opinions on who we should take. But what I'm wondering is what worry people about Ritchie fundementally? The other players in his range have all had a weakness clearly identified. But with him all I hear over and over is that he's big and won't be able to use his size in the NHL.

Why won't he be able to use his size in the NHL? I hear he has good speed so it can't be that. Is his shot weak? does he lack hockey sense? Does he shy away from the physical game against bigger people? I would like a solid opinion on him that doesn't talk about him being too big.

I've read that he is weak defensivily. So I already know that and don't think it is a make or break deal. Defense can be taught and we have Horvat, Gaunce etc who are great in their own end. We need a player who can excel offensively in my opinion.

Well let me tell you this. The guy was voted best body checker by the OHL coaches in the Eastern Conference. He was also voted 3rd best shot in the Eastern Conference. Don't know why people here thinks that he was bad in the playoffs either. Peterborough isn't a great team, and he's a big reason why they were able to eliminate the Frontenacs (a big upset), with Ritchie scoring the GWG in game 7. Then they were swept by the best team in the Eastern Conference, no biggie. Ritchie ended up with 10 points in 11 games, 5 of them goals. Not that bad. And he's not all about scoring either. I mean Lucic's best season in the NHL is 62 points 79 games. You will find players putting up 100 points every season. Does that mean that Lucic is just an average 1st liner? Ofc not. He will do pretty much anything for the team. Stand up for his teammates, crash the net, bring physical presence and score goals. I believe Ritchie would be a good pick at 6th. There isn't a lot of risk in him IMO, and there is also a potential high reward there. I don't think his hockey IQ is low at all. I think people here are afraid that he'll turn into a Kyle Beach v.2 (bust). I personally believe Ritchie is way more talented than Beach though.

If Vancouver does manage to get another pick in the top11, I would be gunning for Fleury with that second pick. Coming away with one of the big 5/Nylander/Ehlers + Fleury would be a HUGE boost to the organizational depth.

Biggest gaps at the moment being scoring wingers and bluechip dmen.

IMO if Edmonton doesn't get Ekblad I think they'll trade down to 6-10 to draft Fleury. That team needs the d

Consistency is his biggest issue but that's not uncommon.

Everything else is NHL quality. His shot is a plus, his skating is a plus, his hockey sense is a plus, his physical game is a plus.

He's a very rare package.

Well let me tell you this. The guy was voted best body checker by the OHL coaches in the Eastern Conference. He was also voted 3rd best shot in the Eastern Conference. Don't know why people here thinks that he was bad in the playoffs either. Peterborough isn't a great team, and he's a big reason why they were able to eliminate the Frontenacs (a big upset), with Ritchie scoring the GWG in game 7. Then they were swept by the best team in the Eastern Conference, no biggie. Ritchie ended up with 10 points in 11 games, 5 of them goals. Not that bad. And he's not all about scoring either. I mean Lucic's best season in the NHL is 62 points 79 games. You will find players putting up 100 points every season. Does that mean that Lucic is just an average 1st liner? Ofc not. He will do pretty much anything for the team. Stand up for his teammates, crash the net, bring physical presence and score goals. I believe Ritchie would be a good pick at 6th. There isn't a lot of risk in him IMO, and there is also a potential high reward there. I don't think his hockey IQ is low at all. I think people here are afraid that he'll turn into a Kyle Beach v.2 (bust). I personally believe Ritchie is way more talented than Beach though.

Thanks for the analysis! He seems like a guy who could really be helpful in our division. I question bringing in someone small like Ehlers. It's not a knock on him personally but I just think our schedule (playing against Perry, Getzlaf, Brown, Backes, Carter, Richards, Thorton, Marleau, Burns etc.) so often would be hard on most smaller prospect. Jeff Skinner is a great hockey player but I don't think he would be overally effective here either.

As for the Beach comment: I've always got the feeling that some fans have become scared of drafting a big guy because of the buzz of Tom Sestito this year. Everyone kept talking about how he scored so many goals in junior. But now he's a 4th line enfourcer. I'm not saying that Sestito and Ritchie are similiar in any way. But I do think people are afraid of a Beach or Sestito V2.

One last question: If consistency is his biggest issue, what's his attitude like? Is he a hard working, character guy or is his consistency problems based off a more underlying character issue?

I would be fine with trading the pick. Even If we win the lottery. There are always stupid GMs and someone would overpay to have a little fun at draft day.

I believe in Nylander but he would be a couple of years away from making impact and we need a top 6 scorer faster than that.

But how much of an overpayment is good enough to give up the #1? We haven't seen any recent packages teams have been willing to pay to convince the Oilers/other teams to give up that pick. In a little bit lesser draft sandwiched between MacKinnon and McDavid I think it's less likely a good package is put up we'd consider enough to pass up on drafting Ekblad.

Maybe we can get a package that includes the #3-5 pick, or a slightly lesser one in the #6+ range. What would those teams be willing to add though to move up to #1? A second rounder doesn't do enough to convince us I don't think, nor would adding a B/C prospect. It'd have to be a top prospect or maybe a 2015 first from a team that thinks they should really be a playoff contender (Islanders? Maybe Florida or even Calgary?) but then that'd be tough to come by for this draft class. Edmonton would be the team that most wants Ekblad based on the rumours out there, but what do they offer us - their first and Yakupov?

Thanks for the analysis! He seems like a guy who could really be helpful in our division. I question bringing in someone small like Ehlers. It's not a knock on him personally but I just think our schedule (playing against Perry, Getzlaf, Brown, Backes, Carter, Richards, Thorton, Marleau, Burns etc.) so often would be hard on most smaller prospect. Jeff Skinner is a great hockey player but I don't think he would be overally effective here either.

As for the Beach comment: I've always got the feeling that some fans have become scared of drafting a big guy because of the buzz of Tom Sestito this year. Everyone kept talking about how he scored so many goals in junior. But now he's a 4th line enfourcer. I'm not saying that Sestito and Ritchie are similiar in any way. But I do think people are afraid of a Beach or Sestito V2.

One last question: If consistency is his biggest issue, what's his attitude like? Is he a hard working, character guy or is his consistency problems based off a more underlying character issue?

No it's not a question of work ethic. I can't comment on his attitude but I've never heard anything to that effect. Most players have some consistency issues in junior.

He was injured last year and when a young man is growing into his body so quickly it is occasionally hard for them to adapt their game to fit their skills. It's not a question of his ability or willingness IMO. He just needs to learn to adjust and bring his A game every night.

No it's not a question of work ethic. I can't comment on his attitude but I've never heard anything to that effect. Most players have some consistency issues in junior.

He was injured last year and when a young man is growing into his body so quickly it is occasionally hard for them to adapt their game to fit their skills. It's not a question of his ability or willingness IMO. He just needs to learn to adjust and bring his A game every night.

Alright good to hear. I had consistency issues in my game as well. It had nothing to do with a bad work ethic, so I completely understand. Ritchie seems to be a pretty solid potential pick.

I don't see any similarities between beach and Ritchie?

beach had attitude problems, concussion problems, played in WHL not OHL, and I remember before the draft his draft year his last concussion was from a fight where a like 150lb 15 year old kid dropped him like lights out KO in a fight,, was sad..

Only problem Ritchie had was a shoulder injury last season, looks to be behind him, and like minister said consistency but he was above a PPG on a crappy team with only Cornel being a good F on that team in my opinion, so they guys a horse and will be picked high in the draft for sure. He is more NHL ready then a lot of F in this draft too

I'm really hoping that someone in the top 5 (Islanders) takes Ehlers, dropping Dal Colle to us. Like others have mentioned Fleury could be an excellent addition to the team. That big smooth skating dman is one of the main desperate team needs. Not sure if I'd risk it though if Ehlers/Dal Colle/Draisaitl are still available. Getting Ottawa's pick from Anaheim would solve that for sure, with our history it's almost a shame to pick at 6th, given there is no consensus at all from 6-15.

I'd be ecstatic if Glover or Karlsson were still available at 36.

I'm really hoping that someone in the top 5 (Islanders) takes Ehlers, dropping Dal Colle to us. Like others have mentioned Fleury could be an excellent addition to the team. That big smooth skating dman is one of the main desperate team needs. Not sure if I'd risk it though if Ehlers/Dal Colle/Draisaitl are still available. Getting Ottawa's pick from Anaheim would solve that for sure, with our history it's almost a shame to pick at 6th, given there is no consensus at all from 6-15.

I'd be ecstatic if Glover or Karlsson were still available at 36.

we were 29th in scoring this year. I wamt a forward.

Looking a little closer at Draistl's team stats...

Draistl (105pts) next 2 forwards in scoring have 61 and 44 points respectively.

Dall Colle's (95 pts) next two forwards in scoring: 87 and 73 (Cassels :emot-parrot: ) points respectively

Ehlers (104 pts) next two: 108 and 80 points respectively.

For fun I guess ill throw in Bennett and Reinhart too:

Bennett: (91 pts) next two: 70 and 68 points respectively.

Reinhart: (105 pts) next two: 98 and 77 points respectively.

So based on my in depth analysis.. haha I'd probably take Draistl if Ekblad was taken 1st overall.

Good catch!

If canucks win the lottery and drafts Ekblad.

Would you keep ekblad or trade him(+ someone like schroeder) to oilers for Yakupov + #3 pick (Reinhart) since oilers seems to be desperate for a blue chip defenseman.

Reinhart + yakupov would really help the canucks offense now and the future. But at the same time Ekblad probably is that franchise d the canucks are lacking of.

Here's the problem for Linden and the scouts....which direction is the team going forward. Is their a model that fits the core and the direction we want to go in. Is it the Bruins/Kings model that direction. If so this has to be kept in mind when making your choice at the draft. Vcr if that's the direction it's heading ( & Linden has mentioned the Bruins...and why not ! they're succesful ) then you don't follow that model by having one or two big players you nedd numerous, you need a stream of similar player jumping over the boards, which is why IMO Ritchie fits the future model Vcr is heading.

I think there's still a place for Shimkaruk type players but the thrust has to be in one agreed direction

IMO if Edmonton doesn't get Ekblad I think they'll trade down to 6-10 to draft Fleury. That team needs the d

Are you saying they want the d? :) haha

but I agree EDM needs defence,

Tanev and a second for there first? (hate to see tanev go..)

Or

Tanev and our first for

Yakapov and there second.

Just blabbin...

Cheers,

Spenny

With the 6th pick its pretty unlikely we entertain anything other than Ritchie, Virtanen, Ehlers and a possible top 5 dropper. If we take Nylander, Kapanen, Fleury, Perlini I will be disgusted.

im not even that stoked with Ehlers as he has top line potential and I love the Gaborik comparisons. Problem is your banking on him putting on a tonne of bulk or he rounds out as a perimeter player. Ritchie and Virtanen are built for playoff hockey.

The Booth comparison for Virtanen is ridiculous. Jake has always been the best and most talented player on his team. 1st pick in the bantam draft and 45 goals as a 17yr old should not be overlooked. Booth by comparison has always been a superior athlete with hands of stone.

Ritchie is so intriguing.....could you imagine having Bertuzzi and Shanahan (Kassian and Ritchie) in their primes.

If canucks win the lottery and drafts Ekblad.

Would you keep ekblad or trade him(+ someone like schroeder) to oilers for Yakupov + #3 pick (Reinhart) since oilers seems to be desperate for a blue chip defenseman.

Reinhart + yakupov would really help the canucks offense now and the future. But at the same time Ekblad probably is that franchise d the canucks are lacking of.

No chance the Oil offer that package for Ekblad.

if we win the lottery you take the thing this organization has needed forever a no 1 defenseman.

No chance the Oil offer that package for Ekblad.

if we win the lottery you take the thing this organization has needed forever a no 1 defenseman.

I would do it for Darnell Nurse,

Nurse and 1 of Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl/Dal Colle for Ekblad

I would do that

I don't see any similarities between beach and Ritchie?

beach had attitude problems, concussion problems, played in WHL not OHL, and I remember before the draft his draft year his last concussion was from a fight where a like 150lb 15 year old kid dropped him like lights out KO in a fight,, was sad..

Only problem Ritchie had was a shoulder injury last season, looks to be behind him, and like minister said consistency but he was above a PPG on a crappy team with only Cornel being a good F on that team in my opinion, so they guys a horse and will be picked high in the draft for sure. He is more NHL ready then a lot of F in this draft too

I don't think they're similar either. Only thing is that they were/are both classified as power-forwards. They both had pretty successful junior careers, with both being top picks coming into the NHL draft. Ritchie was drafted 2nd overall in the OHL draft, Ekblad went 1st overall that year. Beach was drafted 10th overall in the WHL draft. Beach was drafted 11th overall in the NHL draft, and Ritchie should be able to land higher than that. I think that's where people compare them. But there's no doubt that Ritchie would be the better prospect out of the 2, he seems like the complete package.
Also haven't heard much about Sestito being a comparable to Ritchie around here. I mean he was drafted in the 5th round into the OHL , and in the 3rd round into the NHL. He didn't really make an impact offensively until his last year in juniors which isn't that uncommon, scoring 42 goals in 60 games for 64 points. Hard to compare him to Ritchie who has been a highly touted prospect for a long time. I also like the fact that he has an older brother, Brett Ritchie, who's doing really good in the AHL in his first pro-season. Brett will most likely be a very solid NHL-player, and to think that Nick is regarded as a more talented player than him is certainly intriguing. I'm not comparing their game, but it certainly won't hurt his development to have someone to look up to and learn from.

Archived