The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Islanders draft 5th (unless they or someone below them wins the lottery)....would it be worth it to offer them a 2nd round pick or a roster player and our 6th to move up to 5th and draft one of the big 5 (if none of them slip).?........i know the islanders have done this before in previous drafts so i think they would be open to it.

For anyone who hasn't watch this highlight package: I strongly suggest you give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztPZLG34D0

Edit: sorry for not transfering the video right onto the board. Not exactly sure how to do that

You want to use the URL from the 'Share' option when you're viewing the video. The forum automatically embeds the actual video in your post that way.

I am not in a position to defend or make claims on nylander haven't watched him enough.

How many minutes of highlight reels have u watched on him? How many minutes of game time have u seen him play? Which league did u watch him play? Have u even watched him play 1 full game?

Merci hard to make statements like that when I'm 99% sure you really have never even watched the kid play asides from 2-4 highlight vids.

And most of us haven't because his games are not televised, and even his highlight reels are ery minimal, very little exposure to go off on him and write him off.

He very well may be the biggest game breaker in the draft.

Could you tell me 1 CDC poster who doesn't fit that?

Why do we even have a forum then.

If we pass on this kid, I won't be pleased.

http://youtu.be/U6jLp1eoy_E

Strengths: A lot to like in Perlinis game. Hes a great skater with a general smoothness to his game. He really did look like he was floating on his skates; likely the best skater in this group. Perlini was excellent on the attack. He created a number of 2-on-1 situations and his goal, in the game I tracked, was a great display of speed and quick hands in tight. Perlini had very good vision and was constantly searching for the open man. His defensive awareness also seemed advanced for a 17-year-old. He picked up the right man on the back check and tracked him all the way through the danger zone in the defensive end.

^ He's like a Better Kassian

and I shouldn't say Nylander isn't a game breaker just that I believe that there's less of a chance of him being one over Perlini

Fair enough! In November December I remember wishing we would get Perlini, funny now I'm looking at guys I want over him, crazy how our draft position changed so drastically! Went from loving guys like Scherbak and Tuch around 20 spot in dec to now looking at top 5 guys as possibilities! Maybe tomorrow we will be looking at who we take first overall!!!!!

I do not see the kassian Perlini comparison tho, Perlini is doesn't crash and bang like kassian and has quite a snipe on him

My issue with the argument about "he plays against men" in the European leagues is that....well really, much more often than not that's what we get. The product we see on the ice at that time is it. There is litte growth or skill development at the best of times because that's the player they are.

Added that the European leagues are more often than not hardly comparable to even the US development and NCAA college leagues in terms of quality of competition. Then you factor in the ice size difference and the need to acclimate

I am NOT by any means saying that we should never draft European players...obviously look at the success we and Detroit have had over the last 15 years.

What I am saying is that we do not see that game breaker in Nylander or Kapanen right now and without a serious sample size body of work, more than highlight reels; it is hard to say we can tell what scouts see. Taking people at their word has never been my forte and especially scouts as while they get paid for this daily....they also consensus pick Beach and Daigle as often as they do Mckinnon and Crosby

In the top 10 the only European I would really gamble on is Draistl and or Ehlers and that is only because we can see the size, speed and skill he displays on a near daily basis in the CHL.

I have no issues picking any of them from Nylander to Kapanen to Ritchie and his line mate to Virtanen or Ehlers. So long as we all understand that the best thing for them moving forward is a solid few years of CHL and AHL development before entering the league.

This is our best natural draft pick since the twins and I do not want to rush anyone in to the league just for the sake of fan excitement when the possible return goes from Sakic superstar for spending the extra years in the minors to potential Cam Barker or Gilbert Brule or Nail Yakupov...stunted growth due to lack of development.

Our scouts know who they want and for good reason. Our org knows their needs well enough as well. It is now up to us as fans to be patient and not clamour for the coach or GM or presidents head when we don't see our shiny new pick enter the league next October.

If the Canucks want highly skilled playmakers then look no further than William Nylander, the kid is extremely skilled, one of the most skilled players in the draft if not the most skilled. Alot of scouts, reporters have said the same exact thing.

Defense and going to the corners is his weaknesses but those can be addressed with good coaching.

If the Canucks want highly skilled playmakers then look no further than William Nylander, the kid is extremely skilled, one of the most skilled players in the draft if not the most skilled. Alot of scouts, reporters have said the same exact thing.

Defense and going to the corners is his weaknesses but those can be addressed with good coaching.

Watching him and Perlini they seem very similar in raw talent in terms of passing and stick handling.

What are the chances someone like Roland McKeown drops far enough for us to pick him with our second rounder?

I'd be really happy but highly unlikely. He is in the top 5 of best Dman available. He'd drop if he was 5'11 and under 180. Certainly be a nice snag at ~ #36.

"IF" we got the first overall, is there any team in the top4 we could trade down and still maximize our asset return without kicking ourself in the end and thinking back how we could of just drafted 1st overall?

Edmonton if they really want Ekblad that bad.

Edmonton if they really want Ekblad that bad.

If we drafted first, that would put Edmonton fourth. IMO, there is quite a bit of talent drop off after the first three picks. Picking one of Dal Colle and Draistl wouldn't be worth giving up the first overall.

Eklbad, Reinhart, Bennett /cliff/

Draistl Dal Colle /cliff/

Perlini, Ehlers, Kapanen, Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander, Fleury and on and on.

There seem to be about 6-7 guys we could pick as the 6th overall with no clear cut 'best' pick. My hope is that some team out there picking 7-12 is really high on one of these guys and is desperate enough to offer additional picks/prospects to move up in the draft order.

"IF" we got the first overall, is there any team in the top4 we could trade down and still maximize our asset return without kicking ourself in the end and thinking back how we could of just drafted 1st overall?

I'll be shocked if Ekblad doesn't go #1. Do we then trade the #1 to Edmonton (most likely the highest return for him) for #3 overall + prospects/picks? I think so.

Then by winning the lottery, we pick up #4 overall (still a blue chip forward) + at least 1 2nd rounder and/or high-end prospect.

I wonder if Edmonton/Calgary/Buffalo would trade us their 2015 first round pick for our 2014 6th (or 7th) overall pick?

Yeah I think we've seen enough of weak corner play in the past little while here. No offense.

He reminds you of a guy with all the skill but floats around and never puts it altogether and gets injured a lot? These players are nothing alike.

Ehlers is faster , has a slightly better shot and is much harder on the puck . He never takes a shift off, never backs down from the danger areas. Hemsky does not have those attributes.

How do you know this?

Archived