The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting that he had Kapanen ahead of Ritchie though.

I wonder if the Canucks would be willing to draft another project player? They said he was streaky.

I don't follow enough junior hockey to predict who Canucks would grab at 6.

Any more insight from the junior hockey guru's? barring nobody falls from the top 4-5 to Vancouver at 6, who are 3 players that people could project us grabbing at 6 and fitting in to the Canucks system?

Well, my order changes to this.

1)Florida-Ekblad (Get their #1 D with thier loaded offensive talent)
2)Buffalo-Reinhart (Future 1st line center for the team, very offensively gifted)
3)Edmonton-Draisatl (Future 1st line center for the team with RNH possibly not panning out to full potential)
4)Calgary-Ritchie (Big winger to fit with Monahan. Brian Burke style pick)
5)NYI-Dal Colle (Loaded with centers, takes place of Vanek/Moulson for the rest of Tavares' career)
6)Vancouver-Bennett (Future 1st line center. Complete all around game)

Here's to hoping for the best.

yeah...i mean what are the chances that one of the 2 teams with the highest chance to win the pick actually wins the pick.....

take off the tinfoil hat

The potential for "rigging" is just built into the methodology of the lottery.

Teams can only move down one position by rules of the draft. There also isn't the ability to move up except for the very slim chance for #1. This makes it a really weird case where one draw fixes all the other results.

First, you pick #1. Say it's Florida. Then Buffalo HAS to get #2. Then no one else moves by definition since they can't move up or down.

The basically means the system has VERY few variables and is extremely fixable. The point is, this implementation speaks to the shadiness of the NHL more than any particular result.

You could say that to just about any player in the draft aside from the top three (Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett). Consistently should be a concern for him since he plays on a weak Niagara team. I don't really see that much of a difference between Dal Colle and Perlini, expect for one plays on a stacked Oshawa team, while the other plays on a terrible Niagara team. If Perlini played a full season, he would have scored over 40 goals, 80+ points, and would probably be ranked in the top 5.

You shouldn't put too much on being a perimeter player. I mean if you are able to score 30 goals, then who cares where you score your goals from.

Jeff Carter, Patrick Marleau, Jeff Skinner, and Max Pacioretty, all are considered comparable to Perlini.

Thats great in theory, but scoring from the perimeter doesn't really translate at this level, if you look at a big time goal scorer like Pacioretty he gets alot of goals from taking the puck to the net.

I see some comparables as Pouliot or a bigger bodied Mason Raymond honestly. If he hits his potential he could be a Marleau/Pacioretty but I don't see his offensive upside as being as good as those guys skill level.

Well, my order changes to this.

1)Florida-Ekblad (Get their #1 D with thier loaded offensive talent)

2)Buffalo-Reinhart (Future 1st line center for the team, very offensively gifted)

3)Edmonton-Draisatl (Future 1st line center for the team with RNH not panning out to full potential)

4)Calgary-Ritchie (Big winger to fit with Monahan. Brian Burke style pick)

5)NYI-Dal Colle (Loaded with centers, takes place of Vanek/Moulson for the rest of Tavares' career)

6)Vancouver-Bennett (Future 1st line center. Complete all around game)

Here's to hoping for the best.

I don't think Calgary would allow Bennett to get by them...or even the Isles....but stranger things have happened.

Its a weird draft and your comments do make sense...all those teams have those needs/desires so who knows

I would prefer us to make a move up with a team that may not get who they want. ie Edmonton. Move the 6th and Hansen for their 3rd, they may bite.

Gives them a gritty veteran, which they are in desperate need of, and they only drop 3 spots..

It should be easier to move up in a draft like this since outside maybe Ekblad there is no real dominant player in the top 6-7 that could bust or may be a star...

So I say outside the top 10 and you freak out but you don't think he'll go top 6? So why are you making sure a big deal if you think he will go 6-10? I never said the CHL is a better league, I never said Nylander was a bad prospect or that he will be a bust. All I said was that it is highly unlikely that he will go in the top 10. You need to calm down and wait until the draft. Hopefully you will use it as a learning experience.

I think he has the offensive upside to be 6th overall-worthy. That being said i never said we SHOULD take him. What do you even base your "highly unlikely" opinion on? Since it's obvious you barely know anything about him. The only thing you're still looking at, the ONLY thing, is that "historical list", you take nothing else into consideration, which says a lot about you. Yeah i should totally listen to the guy that thought Nylanders offensive numbers wasn't impressive (what a clueless statement), the guy that thought CHL goalies were better than professional goalies or the guy that thought junior players are more physical than professional hockey players in Sweden. Why would i ever want to learn something from you?

Archived