The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

see now why do you have to go and insult him right now. just drop it guys. let it go. we're not all going to agree on one kid. and people will change theirnmind all the way up to the minute we draft. I've went from ritchie to virtanen to ehlers to nylander.

That's the point, why is absent going so far out of his way to prove minister is a normal person with opinions that sometimes change a little over time. Its redundant and extremely immature and childish

Two months of this.

I repeat, two months of this.

Our conversations will solve nothing but to entertain us. The only thing that will change the discourse will be traded picks in the top 10.

Frustration is setting in but he gets over it.

Even though I like Nylander, i agree with this. This is probably the thinking of the Canucks and most NHL clubs.

I also often like to point out the question of how many true PWFs have the Canucks ever had? Kurtenbach, Bertuzzi, Neely? Then there's the secondary tier like Paiemont, Fraser, Momesso and Courtnall. Ritchie, if developed well, could be a very unique player in our franchise history.

Linden, from his own experience, knows that there can be room for smaller guys like Ronning and Craven to help a club. He also knows that those players need to be surrounded with as much physical support as possible.

Loading up on big talented wingers is a good strategy for the Canucks right now IMO. We may need help at centre but that can be addressed at another time or in another way. By loading up on the wing the Canucks can ensure that is one position that they are set for the future if they remain patient. Having a strong group of young wingers will open up room from other positions for other players to succeed. There is always more room for extra bigger guys in a line-up than smaller guys. You can't have a roster too big but you can have it be too small.

Generally, I am an advocate of building from the net out through up the middle so what I am saying may sound counterintuitive but the Canucks are not in a complete rebuilding stage as of yet. We still have viable options at the other positions at the NHL and prospect level. Enough so that we can consider it a foundation to build upon. We may lack a top end prospect at centre and defense but when we do acquire one they will ideally be big bodied as well as talented. This trend is not going to reverse.

I am always amazed when i read posters use terms like 'redundant' with regards to certain play types. There is no such thing especially if they have size and can play on multiple lines. If the Canucks are the title of the team with the biggest group of forward prospects on the league one day it would be the first time that has ever been the case. Variety is important after many years of rebuild but in a retool like we are in now then being the best at something in the league is important.

Again with the hedging by supporting two different players who play two different styles altogether so he can brag later he had it both ways.

Quite different.

Nichushkin is a full talent winger with a dynamic and explosive element. He is also a big body that can work the puck but isn't overly physical although it's not a weakness in his game. He was a certainly a top talent that fell because of his nationality. He is extremely creative and has great speed, passing and shot. His commitment to defense will be a telling point in his career.

Ritchie is a throwback power forward that can both pummel opponents with his fists or with his soft hands near the net. He can dominate physically while making room on the ice for his line mates. He has a quick release and solid instincts. He is the type of player that does the heavy lifting for his line. Ritchie is the model of a playoff specimen.

Their similarities are their inconsistency, size and shooting but they utilize these talents differently.

That's pretty hard to say when there was no player similar to Ritchie in that draft or, I dare say, for near 10 years.

It seems now that you need to talk down certain prospects to justify your own preference. All of the top 15 in this draft are good prospects in their own right.

They hyperbole is getting a little thick at this point.

Ritchie still has questions though. His top end is less a sure thing than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl's mold may be less rare but it's still extremely valuable.

I wouldn't be shocked if there are more than a few teams that have Ritchie before him though.

Apparently he thinks Ritchie is creeping into the top 5 on some boards he is so cool. However, he is extremely vague about it. Surprise surprise.

Well, you might as well go camping then because we're going to get a very good player.

……unless we trade the pick. :blink:

The man has made a decision. Here is is folks. WE ARE GETTING A GOOD PLAYER. So no matter who we pick he has his bases covered. There is a man who knows how to nail a prediction! :)

That's the point, why is absent going so far out of his way to prove minister is a normal person with opinions that sometimes change a little over time. Its redundant and extremely immature and childish

Yeah I don't really get it either. People are entitled to change their minds, especially with new information that comes into light.

I think ever since the poll came up, Minister voted right away that he wanted us to pick Nylander. Yeah he didn't praise a guy like Virtanen to the sky. He believes that Virtanen doesn't have 1st line potential. I think that's a very realistic statement though. He did give Ritchie some high praise, and he pretty much said that Ritchie would be his 2nd choice. You can have more than 1 favorite, but you can still prefer 1 favorite over another. I think his posts are very honest, we'll all have guys that we prefer over others. He's not like some guys around here that are completely obsessed with size. I'm sure BanTSN for an example would prefer an 4th line enforcer over Nylander with the 6th overall pick. I really don't get the feeling that TheMinister are trying to bash some of the prospects that we potentially could pick.

I think ever since the poll came up, Minister voted right away that he wanted us to pick Nylander. Yeah he didn't praise a guy like Virtanen to the sky. He believes that Virtanen doesn't have 1st line potential. I think that's a very realistic statement though. He did give Ritchie some high praise, and he pretty much said that Ritchie would be his 2nd choice. You can have more than 1 favorite, but you can still prefer 1 favorite over another. I think his posts are very honest, we'll all have guys that we prefer over others. He's not like some guys around here that are completely obsessed with size. I'm sure BanTSN for an example would prefer an 4th line enforcer over Nylander with the 6th overall pick. I really don't get the feeling that TheMinister are trying to bash some of the prospects that we potentially could pick.

Yeah.

They dont run here to GLOAT on how months ago they knew that guy was special all along. None of us who knew how special Nylander was needed to do that. We arent ego maniacs.

Especially a guy who PUMPED Ritchie over and over now claims he was a Nylander guy. This has always been my frustration with Minister.

He talks out both sides of his mouth because he cant bare to be wrong later on. I called him out on it. So what. He needs to live with his decisions.

Are people really being swayed by the combine?

Why? Interviews?

MacKinnon could have spit in the faces of the all the Avs brass and they still would have selected him.

Pull-ups?

Kindof irrelevant isn't it? The results of all physical tests now are meaningless when compared to when their expected post-development physicality.

I laughed hard when the 'Bennett zero pulluppps!' story blew up.

To me the NHL combine has always been a dog and pony show and it's quite clear why teams in recent seasons have ran their own 'real' combines.

Anyone know if the Canucks were one of these teams? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking certain blessed and privileged teams down south get those.

If Virtanen wasn't injured, and it was him who had a great showing like Nylander, would you be singing the same tune?

Minister

You do say you want him at #6. Back in March.

Remember march? A good long time before we had any idea where we would be drafting. If you want to take credit for that, then by all means.

You have never stated the Canucks would draft him once we knew where we were drafting. You still hedge around Nylander but never actually put your foot down on it.

In fact, when you finally do, you 'want Nylander long term' but your prediction is Nick Ritchie.

Mine is Ehlers. Yours was Ritchie.

I have also stated repeatedly that I thought Nylander was the best talent blah blah . The difference between us is that I dont BRAG about it later on like I knew it all along.

You didnt. You picked Ritchie. You made the double talk. Live with it.

From what I've seen he's wanted Nylander all along.

Besides why does it matter if opinions change, its just opinion. I wanted Kapanen at first, now I'm leaning towards Ehlers, or Nylander.

Haven't seen anybody link this article from Last Word on Sports

Aho, Sebastian – 5’9.25″ – 165 lbs
Amadio, Michael – 6’1″ – 190 lbs
Aube-Kubel, Nicolas – 5’11″ 187 lbs
Audette, Daniel – 5’8″ 175 lbs

Barbashev, Ivan - 6’0″ 180 lbs
Bayreuther, Gavin – 6’0.5″ 195 lbs
Bennett, Sam - 6’0.25″ 178 lbs
Bird, Tyler – 6’1.5″ 200 lbs
Bishop, Clark – 5’11.5″ 182 lbs
Bleackley, Conner - 6’0.25″ 192 lbs
Bunting, Michael - 5’11″ 174 lbs

Chatham, Connor - 6’2″ 222 lbs
Clarke, Blake – 6’1″ 196 lbs
Collins, Ryan - 6’5″ 202 lbs
Cornel, Eric - 6’1.5″ 186 lbs

Dal Colle, Michael – 6’1.5″ 182 lbs
De Leo, Chase - 5’9″ 178 lbs
DeAngelo, Anthony - 5’10.5″ 175 lbs
Donato, Ryan – 6’0.25″ 174 lbs
Dougherty, Jack - 6’1″ 186 lbs
Draisatl, Leon - 6’1.5″ 204 lbs
Duke, Reid - 5’11.5″ 189 lbs
Dvorak, Christian - 6’0.25 178 lbs

Ehlers, Nikolaj - 5’11″ 162 lbs
Eiserman, Shane - 6’1.5″ 200 lbs
Ekblad, Aaron - 6’3.5″ 216 lbs

Fabbri, Robbie - 5’10.25″ 170 lbs
Fiala, Kevin - 5’10″ 180 lbs
Fleury, Haydn – 6’2.5″ 203 lbs
Foegele, Warren – 6’0.75″ 178 lbs
Foss, Ryan - 6’3″ 183 lbs

Gardiner, Reid – 5’10.5″ 183 lbs
Gendron, Miles – 6’1.5″ 181 lbs
Gersich, Shane - 5’11″ 175 lbs
Glover, Jack - 6’3.25″ 190 lbs
Goldobin, Nikolai - 5’11.75″ 178 lbs

Hawryluk, Jayce - 5’10.25″ 190 lbs
Haydon, Aaron - 6’2.5″ 197 lbs
Hickey, Brandon - 6’1.5 177 lbs
Ho-Sang, Joshua - 5’11″ 175 lbs
Honka, Julius - 5’10.75 180 lbs

Iacopelli, Matheson - 6’1.5″ 192 lbs
Irving, Aaron - 6’0.5″ 185 lbs
Iverson, Keegan - 6’0.75″ 219 lbs

Jacobs, Joshua - 6’1.75″ 193 lbs
Johansson Emil - 5’11.75″ 194 lbs

Kamenev, Vladislav – 6’2″ 203 lbs
Kapanen, Kasperi - 6’0″ 181 lbs
Karabacek, Vaclav – 5’11.5″ 196 lbs
Karlsson, Anton - 6’1.25″ 187 lbs
Kase, Ondrej - 6’0″ 165 lbs
Kempe, Adrian - 6’1.25″ 187 lbs

Lammikko, Juho - 6’2.5″ 189 lbs
Larkin, Dylan – 6’0.75″ 190 lbs
Leblanc, Olivier - 5’11.5″ 157 lbs
Lemieux, Brendan – 6’0.25″ 206 lbs
Lernout, Brett – 6’4″ 206 lbs
Lindo, Jaden - 6’1″ 201 lbs
Llewellyn, Darby – 6’0.5″ 176 lbs

MacInnis, Ryan - 6’3.25″ 183 lbs
MacLeod, Johnathan – 6’1.5″ 200 lbs
Magyar, Nicholas – 6’1.75″ 194 lbs
Mantha, Ryan - 6’4.5″ 225 lbs
Martin, Brycen – 6’1.75″ 195 lbs
Masin, Dominik – 6’2″ 189 lbs
McCann, Jared – 6’0.25″ 179 lbs
McKeown, Roland – 6’0.75″ 195 lbs
Middleton, Jacob – 6’2.75″ 200 lbs
Milano, Sonny – 5’11.5″ 183 lbs
Mistele, Matthew - 6’1.5″ 190 lbs

Nantel, Julien - 6’0″ 193 lbs
Nogier, Nelson - 6’2.25″ 191 lbs
Nylander, William - 5’11″ 169 lbs

Ollas Mattson, Adam – 6’4″ 209 lbs

Pastrnak, David – 6’0″ 167 lbs
Pelletier, Julien - 5’11″ 177 lbs
Pepin, Alexis - 6’2.5 218 lbs
Perlini, Brandon – 6’2.75 205 lbs
Perron, Francis – 5’11.5 166 lbs
Peters, Alexander – 6’3.25″ 207 lbs
Pettersson, Marcus – 6’4″ 167 lbs
Poganski, Austin – 6’1.25″ 198 lbs
Point, Braydon – 5’9.75 160 lbs
Pollock, Brett – 6’2″ 182 lbs

Quenneville, John - 6’0.5″ 182 lbs

Reinhart, Sam – 6’0.75″ 185 lbs
Ritchie, Nick - 6’2.25″ 226 lbs

Sadowy, Dylan - 5’11.75″ 183 lbs
Sanheim, Travis – 6’3″ 181 lbs
Scherbak, Nikita - 6’1″ 175 lbs
Schmaltz, Nick – 5’11.5″ 172 lbs
Schoenborn, Alex – 6’0.5″ 196 lbs
Siebenaler, Blake – 6’0.5″ 192 lbs
Slattery, Mitchell – 5’11.5″ 185 lbs
Smith, Hunter – 6’6.5″ 208 lbs
Snuggerud, Luc – 6’0.25″ 180 lbs
Spinner, Steven - 5’11.5″ 196 lbs
Starrett, Beau – 6’4.75″ 197 lbs

Thomas, Ben – 6’1″ 190 lbs
Tkachev, Vladimir – 5’9″ 141 lbs
Tuch, Alex – 6’3.5″ 213 lbs
Turgeon, Dominic – 6’1.75″ 198 lbs

Vanier, Alexis - 6’4.5″ 215 lbs
Virtanen, Jake - 6’0.75″ 208 lbs
Vrana, Jakub - 5’11″ 185 lbs

Wallman, Jake - 6’0.5″ 170 lbs
Watson, Spencer - 5’9.75″ 170 lbs
Wesley, Josh - 6’2.5″ 194 lbs

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/02/2014-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Yeah.

They dont run here to GLOAT on how months ago they knew that guy was special all along. None of us who knew how special Nylander was needed to do that. We arent ego maniacs.

Especially a guy who PUMPED Ritchie over and over now claims he was a Nylander guy. This has always been my frustration with Minister.

He talks out both sides of his mouth because he cant bare to be wrong later on. I called him out on it. So what. He needs to live with his decisions.

You have to admit though, Nylander have earned quite a few new supporters around here after his good combine results. I don't think Minister was "bragging about it". People here called Nylander weak/soft, said his attitude wasn't good... All this was just pure bs that people made up, or presumed, just so that their favorite player would look like the best option. I personally had a few arguments with some people here, trying to prove to them that Nylander is a really good player. This was a few months ago.
I have seen several love-posts from minister regarding Nylander as well, going back a few months. Yeah he said good things about Ritchie, so what? I also prefer Nylander/Ritchie at our spot, unless a projected top5 players falls to us. Nylander is the best skilled player (IMO) and Ritchie is the best PWF (IMO), they're quite different players, so therefore i see them as the best players available at our spot. I think Ritchie might be the safest pick, but if management are confident with picking Nylander, then why not?
That's not my personal feeling about him. I guess you can see it different ways.

The others have been verified as to being interviewed. Ritchie never was. If he was, I am sure someone will post it.

As I've said before, just because the article doesn't mention that they interviewed Ritchie doesn't mean that he wasn't interviewed.

You also have no source saying Ritchie wasn't interviewed by the Canucks.

Here's a quote

Benning and the Canucks interviewed 64 of the 117 top prospects who were in Toronto this weekend. They were mostly North American players, but the Canucks did interview several Europeans, including Nik Ehlers and William Nylander. With the No. 6 overall pick, the draft on June 27-28 will be the Canucks’ most important draft since they took the Sedins at the top in 1999. The combine interviews can have a fairly significant impact on which player a team selects.

Here's Ritchie's interview saying he was interviewed by 25 teams

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=622716

You would think that the Canucks (6th overall pick) would be one of the 25/30 teams that interviewed Ritchie (ranked 7th overall).

Yeah.

This is called being objective. He has provided valuable info along with his own insights as to what he thinks will happen at the draft. I find it very helpful, as do I most of your posts.

I originally thought your obsession with theminister was funny; however, now it is getting pretty weird and awkward. Your perceptions of his posts are off.

I understand that you do not like him so please just put him on ignore - you are wrecking this thread.

Archived