The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

go read hockeysfuture on this guy - projects as a future top 4 puck moving D man and he is 5'11

so we are moving kesler for a guy who is at best a top 4 d man and a career 3C and a 30th overall pick???

Kesler is a gamebreaker, I rather we just go for the best single asset we can get - if this is what the offers are then I would go kesler for strome straight up, that is better than the garbage Pitts is offering

also hard to imagine PHI wouldn't try hard to at least match the offer

Better yet… you should watch him play. I have…. many, many times.

Pouliot is a slam dunk.

If he turns into Letang would you be ok with it? Because I think he'll be a better hockey player overall than Letang.

I think Couturier is the better player (not really interested in Schnenn) and has to be part of a deal is Philly were to make a bid for Kesler.

Plays bigger, harder minutes, has significantly better underlying numbers, is stronger in the faceoff circle and would make Kesler's shutdown presence a little easier to stomach. He also has a couple more years before becoming an RFA, is a year younger, and has been as productive despite his role.

The Flyers also have a couple interesting blueline prospects in Morin and Hagg.

As for the Drouin talk, not sure how many of you watched the WJC, but I wouldn't go anywhere near him. His primadonna act was embarrassing, he didn't perform up to his attitude, and he took repeated stupid, undisciplined and ill-timed penalties.

thank you 44 points in 48 games is no joke, yes ryan kesler has a selke too but Kadri is a super competitive guy and should outscore kesler in the years to come.

kesler may be a more complete player but Kadri is younger and for that reason alone i'd do Kadri for Kesler especially since you could probably pry a pick out of toronto too

something like

Kesler & 3'rd for Kadri & 1'st

The Canucks would also save 2 million in cap space for next year

that would be a great trade for Vancouver

People are joking right? Why trade with the leafs? They are up against the cap and Kessel and Phaneuf get raises. Reimer, Gardiner, franson have to be resigned and they need to replace Bolland, Raymond and ranger.

Kadri also gets a raise in the next offseason. Might as well let the Leaf's front office explode and pry the players they can't resign

People are joking right? Why trade with the leafs? They are up against the cap and Kessel and Phaneuf get raises. Reimer, Gardiner, franson have to be resigned and they need to replace Bolland, Raymond and ranger.

Kadri also gets a raise in the next offseason. Might as well let the Leaf's front office explode and pry the players they can't resign

LoL…. yeah… I think that will be a gong show in the offseason.

Harrison Mooney tweeted the same thing a few days ago. He's never (to my knowledge) tweeted anything about rumors - so I believed him.

But a big freekin NO thanks to that package. Gillis has liked Sutter since Hodgson trade, but Sutter has regressed significantly since then.

Sutter is absolutely drowing in 3C 'easy' minutes in the weak eastern conferece. How is he supposed to take over Keslers 'tough' mins in a beast western conference? He can't. He is NOT an upgrade on Richardson.

Pouliot looks good but, by all accounts, still has trouble playing defense, so he's prob another 2 years away.

It leaves them with essentially a 4th line centre and another prospect who can't play on a Torts team for 2 more seasons. No thanks Gillis.

It really would make more sense for philly to go after Edler

I could see toronto being interested in Kessler

Edler & Hansen for Simmonds and a 1'st

Kesler & a 3'rd for Kadri & a 1'st

would you be happy with the return?

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kadri Simmonds

Booth Schroeder Kassian

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

LU

Lack

with 3 first round picks

the cap will go up this year and next year

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kadri Simmonds

Booth Schroeder Kassian

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

LU

Lack

with 3 first round picks

If traded first are in 2015

I think Couturier is the better player (not really interested in Schnenn) and has to be part of a deal is Philly were to make a bid for Kesler.

Plays bigger, harder minutes, has significantly better underlying numbers, is stronger in the faceoff circle and would make Kesler's shutdown presence a little easier to stomach. He also has a couple more years before becoming an RFA, is a year younger, and has been as productive despite his role.

The Flyers also have a couple interesting blueline prospects in Morin and Hagg.

As for the Drouin talk, not sure how many of you watched the WJC, but I wouldn't go anywhere near him. His primadonna act was embarrassing, he took repeated stupid, undisciplined and ill-timed penalties - I don't think he's as good or important as he appears to think he is.

I think you undervalue Schenn. All lines are not linear. Couturier was a complete player and physically mature when drafted, which strangely was a knock against him at the draft which is why he fell, and Schenn is an evolution. Schenn has also been shuffled around the line-up, and from wing to centre and back, where Couturier was allowed to know his role instantly. Both are excellent players who will only get better.

Schenn's D does need work but he has more offensive tools than Couturier. He'll also be cheaper to acquire and that could mean we are able to get another player like Hagg back as well as a 1st, probably more… assuming we are talking about Kesler.

Now…. if we are talking about Edler then we have a different picture. That won't get us Couturier, I don't think. Philly won't move him for that IMHO. However, it may get us Schenn and maybe Hagg.

Look at that situation… we haven't moved Kesler, have acquired a young offensive player who can play wing (hence not needing to be the best FO man or defensive player) and we added a young D to help replace Eddie down the road. Diaz has looked good and if we can get healthy we may not suffer too much on the backend to add a big piece up front.

If we don't like what we see then we listen about Kesler at the draft.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kadri Simmonds

Booth Schroeder Kassian

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

LU

Lack

with 3 first round picks

next year replace schroeder with Horvat and keep Schroeder as a 13'th forward

& replace Booth with Jensen, Shinkaruk or a ufa & possibly bump higgins down to the 3'rd line

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kadri Simmonds

Booth Schroeder Kassian

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

LU

Lack

with 3 first round picks

Not in the least.

Nonis on Kadri: “Would we be willing to trade him? Yes, we’d be willing to trade him.” Interesting that he's out there offering that. The Leafs defy reason though, don't they?

But not to us thanks, and certainly not as the bulk of a Kesler deal.

I'm not a fan of thinning out the blueline either - particularly with what we've seen over the years - if a pair of players like Kesler and Edler were moved for a pair of one way forwards, that is something I think this team would come to regret, and I also think both those Canucks are undervalued in those deals.

Elkund rumors it's down to a 2 team offer:

Philly offering Simmonds Laughton and a first and a conditional 3rd

Pittsburgh offering bennett, sutter and maatta only if Hansen is added

Edler for Sheahan and Nyquist

Canucks target Callahan and Cammalleri in offseason

I'll take that Pittsburgh or Philadelphia deal for Kesler and run.

I'll take that Detroit deal and run as well although id rather have Mantha.

assuming that, does Kesler's value drop significantly since the playoffs and hence playoff contending teams drop out of the picture?

I don't think it will. That's a risk I'd willing to take.

Ideally we can add to what we have without needing to move Kelser. That should still be our first option.

Archived