The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Ha! You guys think Van would EVER win a lottery in this league. They could have 4 out of the worst 5 slots, & mysteriously lose the draw! All the way back to Gil Perrault, can't you see clearly how this mafia-racket rolls?!

Prediction: Buffalo gets this guy. In return, Buff will lob some slow-pitch hr-trades for rival eastern GM's(OMG! Strange, dealing with these rivals..media will shockingly exclaim)..Some of their recent excessive top pick/prospect-haul will be distributed to league-favoured destinations.

This way the new owner will stay in league good books, & show his appreciation for getting the next young, marketing-star.

Oh yeah, & follow up a soft trade with an article by some media-puppet on how Chiarelli/Shero/?..will always "get his man"! Ohhh, all teams WISH they had this "innovative, visionary GM".

It's almost a masochistic act to watch this league, wishing for a level playing field.

TheFourthPeriod News@TFP 2h

Anaheim Ducks :: Ducks pushed for Kesler http://www.thefourth...140306.html …

Reportedly, Anaheim offered Vatanen, a first-round pick and another player. The article went on to say that Palmieri and Etem were some of Gillis' targets.

Ya, I don't believe it at all. Canucks media said they offered a prospect and picks. That's it.

On a sidenote, It's funny watching the 'GM old boys club' blame the whole trade deadline day on Gillis. Burkie, Murray, Snow all publicy blasted 'Kesler in play' deal as holding up trade deadline - and reasons why their player never got dealt, or got poor return. Ugh ya, ok. It's like blaming the weatherman for the rain outside. If those GMS are so stupid they couldn't make deal cause another player was on the market - they need a new career path. The Gillis smear campaign is in full effect.

Ya, I don't believe it at all. Canucks media said they offered a prospect and picks. That's it.

On a sidenote, It's funny watching the 'GM old boys club' blame the whole trade deadline day on Gillis. Burkie, Murray, Snow all publicy blasted 'Kesler in play' deal as holding up trade deadline - and reasons why their player never got dealt, or got poor return. Ugh ya, ok. It's like blaming the weatherman for the rain outside. If those GMS are so stupid they couldn't make deal cause another player was on the market - they need a new career path. The Gillis smear campaign is in full effect.

I personally was quite enjoying the effect the Kesler distraction had on other teams.

Not only did it bottleneck things, but it also ran interference as Gillis quietly got the more difficult deal done under the radar.

Couldn't have scripted it much better, really.

People saying his value will lower at the draft are wrong I think. Some teams with cup aspirations will go out first round and then will ask about Kesler again.

I agree that the idea his value will drop at the draft is utter nonsense.

First - this was a horrible sellers market. The values players were going for was a fraction of the norm.

Second - it was a cap drop season where most contenders had already subtracted in order to get under the cap - leaving them without much room to work.

The cap is raising, as is the number of teams able to actually get in the bidding.

If people, Kesler included, expected Gillis to cave under pressure in a lowball market - they're out of line.

No team has too many quality centers. No team simply dumps a player like that for a loss - not with a steal of a cap hit, and not simply because adversaries, of all people, don't like it.

Ha! You guys think Van would EVER win a lottery in this league. They could have 4 out of the worst 5 slots, & mysteriously lose the draw! All the way back to Gil Perrault, can't you see clearly how this mafia-racket rolls?!

Prediction: Buffalo gets this guy. In return, Buff will lob some slow-pitch hr-trades for rival eastern GM's(OMG! Strange, dealing with these rivals..media will shockingly exclaim)..Some of their recent excessive top pick/prospect-haul will be distributed to league-favoured destinations.

This way the new owner will stay in league good books, & show his appreciation for getting the next young, marketing-star.

:picard:

Taj@taj1944 42m

Elliotte on Kes offers: They are teams that would like Kesler that couldn't do it right now

Elliotte on Kes: I think the Canucks were wise to pull back

Elliotte confirmed Kes said no to NYR and CBJ.

Confirming what we've already heard. Also believes Canucks are better off dealing him in the summer (Bobby Mac said same thing) << Not that they know, but even if Kes expands his list - Canucks are better off.

I personally was quite enjoying the effect the Kesler distraction had on other teams.

Not only did it bottleneck things, but it also ran interference as Gillis quietly got the more difficult deal done under the radar.

Couldn't have scripted it much better, really.

I know right! It's actually pretty funny.

Incompetent GMs. How could they let the status of another player effect their ability to trade? It's good stuff.

Taj@taj1944 42m

Confirming what we've already heard. Also believes Canucks are better off dealing him in the summer (Bobby Mac said same thing) << Not that they know, but even if Kes expands his list - Canucks are better off.

Exactly. The cap will rise, and more teams will have a better idea where they stand. It will also bring interest from other teams that couldn't do anything at the deadline.

Contrary to what some on here believe, deadline day isn't usually the best time to trade top-quality players.

Taj@taj1944 42m

Which is why, imo, if Shero was actually serious, he would have recognized the relative advantages of moving earlier and getting a deal done. In addition to having a player like that for an additional current playoff run, they avoid the effect of bidders who will have a bunch more cap space to work with - and without the limitations of hesitancy to subtract from (upcoming) playoff rosters to consider.

Exactly. The cap will rise, and more teams will have a better idea where they stand. It will also bring interest from other teams that couldn't do anything at the deadline.

Contrary to what some on here believe, deadline day isn't usually the best time to trade top-quality players.

I think it can be. Its a lot more of a case-by-case thing. While you are correct that on draft day teams have a better understanding of where they are and their cap issues, a lot of teams are willing to overpay on deadline day to push themselves over the top.

Ya, normally I can see arguments for both sides. But we know the answer for this one. No team offered anything resembling a package for Kesler. So it's either better in the summer, or they keep him.

Like you said, with the cap going down drastically this season - it's gonna be near impossible for teams to add his $$ before playoffs. In the summer, cap goes up, free agent market is crap, teams sink in the playoffs when they should have done well - GM's look for answers via trade. I just hope nobody 'comparable' to him is available via trade in the summer.

Which is why, imo, if Shero was actually serious, he would have recognized the relative advantages of moving earlier and getting a deal done. In addition to having a player like that for an additional current playoff run, they avoid the effect of bidders who will have a bunch more cap space to work with - and without the limitations of hesitancy to subtract from (upcoming) playoff rosters to consider.

^ Not if he knows that Kesler will only waive to play in Pitts. Which, as conspiracy theory as it sounds, is quite possible. This whole Kesler/Pitts scenario just wreaks of something else below the surface. Why would they offer anything good if they know they're the only real bidder?

I guess we'll see this summer.

Ya, normally I can see arguments for both sides. But we know the answer for this one. No team offered anything resembling a package for Kesler. So it's either better in the summer, or they keep him.

Like you said, with the cap going down drastically this season - it's gonna be near impossible for teams to add his $$ before playoffs. In the summer, cap goes up, free agent market is crap, teams sink in the playoffs when they should have done well - GM's look for answers via trade. I just hope nobody 'comparable' to him is available via trade in the summer.

^ Not if he knows that Kesler will only waive to play in Pitts. Which, as conspiracy theory as it sounds, is quite possible. This whole Kesler/Pitts scenario just wreaks of something else below the surface. Why would they offer anything good if they know they're the only real bidder?

I guess we'll see this summer.

If Kesler will only go to the Penguins and they continue with the garbage offers in the summer then hes staying a canuck.

If Kesler will only go to the Penguins and they continue with the garbage offers in the summer then hes staying a canuck.

Yeah, I'd rather lose him for nothing than trade him for crap and as I said in the other Kesler thread, even if the dressing room is toxic by keeping him that can be a good thing if we actually want a shot at McDavid...

Archived