The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pittsburgh Desperate for Kesler, NYR, DET AND CBJ Join Race

Guest Dasein

We cannot lower our asking price because another team has injury problems. We can broaden the scope of the deal by giving them a Dman (and get something else in return). But I'll make it my mission to get Gillis fired if we get nothing better than 1st, Sutter and a prospect not named Maatta in return for our heart and soul.

I guess difference in opinion.

Pouliot is not lowering your standards from Maatta from my standpoint. Yes, Maatta has proven he is NHL-calibre, but I see Pouliot as having a higher ceiling and even if he doesn't reach it he will at least match Maatta IMO.

And it's not like we're going to be competing this year for the playoffs with Sutter and Maatta given D Sedin's injury and the fact that we'd have traded Kesler (if this happens). So why not wait a year or two for Pouliot if he is going to be better than Maatta, which I think he will be?

we've just spent the last couple years drafting 3 line centers in gaunce and horvat, not to mention schroeder, santo, dalpe, richardson we DO NOT need 3rd line centers like sutter. If we are trading kes this year we are not making the playoffs other than by accident anyways so who cares about filling his roster spot this year.. let the centers we have play and hopefully show something maybe even raise their value

Sutter is better than all the centers you just mentioned for the next 2-3 years.

Take off the homer glasses. Sutter is a decent piece and we could also flip him at the draft or at training camp if Horvat or Gaunce are ready.

There's no way we can pry Maatta out of Pittsburgh, given Letang's health concerns.

The best we can do is go after Pouliot, who they'll be less inclined to trade now ALSO due to Letang's health.

Sutter is the obvious piece coming back to fill Kesler's roster spot, but the picks and prospects are what Gillis and Shero seem to be playing a tug-of-war on.

Gillis needs to demand at least Pouliot + 1st round, or Pouliot + Bennett + 1st/2nd/3rd round (conditional on how far Penguins make it this year in the playoffs).

Surely its not a question of what we can get for Kesler, but what we want for Kesler...

We don't have to let Kesler go, and at the moment he is one of few with a heartbeat left on this team, so the deal will have to suit us and not someone else. If Gilles screws this up he is finished... This is the best position he will ever find himself in... (think it was the same with schneider...)

Unless we get a good young roster player. A top

prospect and a 1st I'd keep Kesler on that contract.

Teams will love that $5mil contract he's on and you'd think one of them will seriously overpay.

Has it not been reported that Gillis has much interest in Ryan O'Rielly. Few here have even mentioned him in any post. IMVHO Gillis will make a play for him at the deadline. He is young and very talented and would fit nicely.

Also, has anyone questioned why Luongo has not played in the last two games? What might be happening there? I am not buying the story he is rusty due to not playing much in the Olympics. Any ideas? Personally, I can not see a repeat of treating him like they did last year unless there is something that is definitely in the wind with Lou. Have they found a team that will take on his contract? Would not surprise me if Toronto was interested, mind you we would have to take salary back. Toronto sees nothing but playoff lights right now and they know they need to get stronger, especially in goal, otherwise they are just going to be first round playoff fodder. Nonis needs to swing a deal and if he has the backing of ownership he may just go after Luongo. Nonis also loves/likes Edler. Is there something there as well.

Who knows. Two days to go

The players, picks I'd like to see are from PIT, DET:

Maatta, Mantha, two 2015 1st++ for Kesler, Edler++?

There must be a way to work it for each teams needs and fit under the cap? It's not as easy as it sounds..

Kesler + Stanton for Maatta + Sutter + Pyatt (cap dump) 2015 1st? Then flip

Edler + Sutter for Mantha + 2015 1st + Franzen?

I like the idea of Horvat, Mantha, Maatta + three 1st picks in 2015 to at least try for McDavid. That sounds like the start of a new core. Not sure how we get there yet.

Pouliot is not lowering your standards from Maatta from my standpoint. Yes, Maatta has proven he is NHL-calibre, but I see Pouliot as having a higher ceiling and even if he doesn't reach it he will at least match Maatta IMO.

Is Pouliot not in the AHL because of age?

A 19 year old steady NHL Dman vs a 20 year old junior. I don't know.... Travis Green coached Pouliot so hopefully we have some insights into the guy. And the fact that Shero has a history of getting his way at the deadline I'm concerned he already thinks Pouliot will be a bust.

Has it not been reported that Gillis has much interest in Ryan O'Rielly. Few here have even mentioned him in any post. IMVHO Gillis will make a play for him at the deadline. He is young and very talented and would fit nicely.
Could we get him straight up for Schroeder?

Yes. In the 2009 draft. (Oooooooh.)

And it's not like we're going to be competing this year for the playoffs with Sutter and Maatta given D Sedin's injury and the fact that we'd have traded Kesler (if this happens). So why not wait a year or two for Pouliot if he is going to be better than Maatta, which I think he will be?

Sutter is better than all the centers you just mentioned for the next 2-3 years.

Take off the homer glasses. Sutter is a decent piece and we could also flip him at the draft or at training camp if Horvat or Gaunce are ready.

I agree. I've been trying to explain this for days but I'm not getting anywhere.

Pouliot may likely be better than Maatta and is easier to acquire NOW. He outplayed Jones and Harrington nightly for Portland last year.

This is simple arithmetic to me.

I wish we could do a Kesler & Edler for Weber.

Nashville loves Kesler and referred to him as a Messier (when he was good).

They also get a D man in return.

Canucks have never had a Weber like player and our special teams will inevitably be supreme again, should we get him.

Only problem is convincing these guys re their no trade/movement clauses

After Shero's lowball offer, her probably screwed himself over because a lot of GMs would look at that offer and feel that they could easily provide something better than Sutter+Despres.

I still like a Johansen+Dubinsky+1st deal. Dubinsky fills the gap that Kesler left, and his contract runs out around the time I'd be comfortable slotting in BoHo in the 3C position. Hank can still be a 1C but can groom Johansen for the 1C spot.

Getting Maata would be pretty nice too though. Has been a while since Canucks have had a top tier D prospect (RIP Bourdon).

Johansen and Dubinsky are the Jackets 1C-2C, they are 1-2 in scoring on the team and 1-2 in TOI among forwards on the team. Even if Kesler takes over the 1C position who does CBJ use as their 2C..? Kesler is good but I can't see this trade improving the Jackets at all and honestly probably hurts them in the interim, and thats without the 1st rounder. You really need to look at what the other team is getting and not just what the Canucks can reap from a proposed trade.

Is Pouliot not in the AHL because of age?

A 19 year old steady NHL Dman vs a 20 year old junior. I don't know.... Travis Green coached Pouliot so hopefully we have some insights into the guy. And the fact that Shero has a history of getting his way at the deadline I'm concerned he already thinks Pouliot will be a bust.

Maatta and Pouliot are different players. Comparing a year or two of development to ascertain which is better is foolhardy.

Maatta made the team out of camp because he has a calm, steady demeanour on the ice. His offence has been a nice surprise but it may also not grow much and be a product of the team he is on. He isn't an offensive dynamo. Pouliot is. Pouliot doesn't have many weaknesses to his game aside from size.

When has Shero dangled Pouliot? It's always been Despres or Dumolin according to press in Pittsburgh. My guess is Shero's reluctance to give him up is the stumbling block.

Pouliot won't be a bust. He'll be a 40 point d-man by his 3rd pro year.

I'm concerned he already thinks Pouliot will be a bust.
I would share that concern as well. Which is why I wouldn't center a deal around Pouliot.

Y'know... I don't expect a deal to happen at all the more I think of it. Or if it does we certainly wouldn't get wind of a potential return. We are blind-sided by Gillis' actual trades because public opinion around here would veto almost every one.

Take a look at recent history:

Luongo wants out and is as good as gone. Bam! Schneider traded.

We're stuck with Samuelsson and Sturm as dead weight for a season. Bam! Now we're stuck with Booth's contract.

We're heading into the playoffs with three decent offensive centers and then get a good checking one as a rental. Bam! We trade Hodgson for a winger prospect. And then a year later Bam! We trade a decent prospect for a Hodgson-type rental center.

With all this talk of Kesler being dealt it wouldn't surprise me if something totally insane happens instead. This entertaining phase of hilarious trades isn't over yet. Then again, we could trade Kesler for a horrible return and that would be hilarious too. Yay entertainment.

It has nothing to do with homer glasses.. we HAVE Guance horvat, schroeder, santo, dalpe, richardson etc in our system this team needs scoring and has for 3 seasons, and our best tradable asset is kesler (also our current leading scorer).. so if kesler is getting traded we best be getting scoring in return not a bottom 6 center, something that this team already has 6 of.

If Shero wants Kesler he should consider who we need instead of just players he wants to get rid of. Anything hes offered so far wouldn't solve any of this teams problems.

I think, if Kesler actually wants to be traded, he would be interested in Detroit the most. Its close to his hometown... I think.

Johansen and Dubinsky are the Jackets 1C-2C, they are 1-2 in scoring on the team and 1-2 in TOI among forwards on the team. Even if Kesler takes over the 1C position who does CBJ use as their 2C..? Kesler is good but I can't see this trade improving the Jackets at all and honestly probably hurts them in the interim, and thats without the 1st rounder. You really need to look at what the other team is getting and not just what the Canucks can reap from a proposed trade.

Kesler

Anisimov

Umberger

Letestu

They also have two 2013 first round centres, Wennberg and Dano, coming down the pipe. Maybe they'd need someone coming back from the Canucks to a few holes, but it wouldn't be a substantial piece.

Archived