The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pittsburgh Desperate for Kesler, NYR, DET AND CBJ Join Race

It seems crazy to me that 'journalists' are able to get away with making statements about how the Penguins feel without providing any direct quotes from someone with the Pens who is qualified to give an indication of where the team stands. It is entirely speculative writing but written as fact.

I read it as speculation based off of the team's speculation. Even if there is a source, it's highly unprofessional for the writer to name their source who said that this is how the Pens are how to obtain Kesler.

Sutter 3 years ago would have been a great piece. Now he is 25, which I find is the age where you get a good idea of what a player will become. In this case a really good third line centre.

Despres is a decent piece but again he doesn't look like a lock for becoming a top 4 dman.

Late first round pick is not very enticing and has far less value than a mid first round pick.

I think if the deal was Sutter & Despres it would take 3 first round picks, not 1.

Demanding a kings randsom isn't going to happen folks.

If the rumored PHI deal has some truth to it i.e. Simmonds (or possibly Schenn if PHI is willing to pay)/Laughton/1st that is a good deal (3 pieces of high value) that addresses both short term and long term needs.

Whatever holes are left will have to be shored up through other trades/signings, but I like the above deal.

I have a hard time seeing Philly give up Simmonds. He is a little younger, and Kesler is slightly better overall, but it is quite lateral for both teams.

Schenn makes more sense for both teams. Schenn, an NHL ready prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick would be a good return.

If the rumored PHI deal has some truth to it i.e. Simmonds (or possibly Schenn if PHI is willing to pay)/Laughton/1st that is a good deal (3 pieces of high value) that addresses both short term and long term needs.

Whatever holes are left will have to be shored up through other trades/signings, but I like the above deal.

I would consider that, maybe get their 1st from 2015 instead of this year. Simmonds goes onto the first line with the twins, trade Edler package for something of real top 6 value to fill out our second line or a good pick. Horvat/Laughton for your potential 1/2 center of the future, with Shinkaruk, Kassian and Jensen, Simmonds for their wingers..start building around that.

Tell the team to pack its bags early and basically write this hellish season off, get a pick in the top 10 if possible, make some trades and work magic to offload some of these bad contracts we hold. Do a mini on the fly rebuild/retool for next season and re-orient this group with some different blood, It will probably suck but at least it will be something fresh to watch for now.

If the rumours are true about Chicago offering a tremendous package and Gillis not wanting to trade within the conference, I'll be thoroughly pissed. We didn't take the best package for Schneider, ok somewhat understandable to not send him to Edmonton, but not letting Kesler go to Chicago? Are you kidding me?

Never read that rumour about Chicago wanting to deal with Vancouver. Can you confirm that?

If everything would work out the way I would like it, it would go down something like this:

Send Kes to Philly for Schenn, Simmonds, 2014 2nd Round Pick

Send Edler and Gaunce to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter and Pouliot

Send Burrows to the Rangers for 1st Round Pick 2015

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

Higgins - Schenn - Kassian

UFA - Sutter - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Archie

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Stanton - Pouliot

frack shero Neal maatta 1st 3rd for kesler tanev

Edler for couturier 1st

Booth schroeder for erat 4th

Sedin sedin burrows

Neal couturier kassian

Hansen erat higgins

Sestito lain archibald

Hamhuis maata

Stanton bieska

Garrison diaz

Corrado

Plus 3 1st s. Fox cassels horvat shinkaruk subban hutton gaunce jensen future looks bright

Hopefully philly bucks up as the pens offer to date is awful. A bunch of useless parts for a stud top center with a friendly cap. Maybe just maybe nucks move Edler for bobby ryan and bam kesler has his winger!

I don't think it is that crazy to believe Ottawa would do this deal (with some other parts going either way likely).

I honestly believe you could remake this team with just a few trades.

1. Edler for Ryan

- both teams need changes, Jump on the Edler-Karlsson Olympic buzz while it is hot

2. Burrows +(Hansen?) for Emelin

- Not sure what we would have to add, but we have plenty of 3rd liners, both players sucking bad this year. Burrows has a better resume to believe he will improve again, Emelin has a greater upside but is also a greater risk to see if he can ever regain form

3. Kesler and Luongo for Bjugstad, Goc and the 2014 1st rounder

- Florida wants to spend money and make the playoffs next year. This trade gets them there even without spending the other $20 million extra they have to play around with in the UFA market. Goc is simply a piece to keep us OK for this season as he is a pending UFA. Kesler replaces Bjugstad in their lineup and is much better in the near and medium term. Luongo is far better than who they have or spending $7-9 million on a UFA goalie.

All of a sudden we are no worse in the immediate term, and have a much brighter future.

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Ryan/Kassian

Shinkaruk or the 1st round pick we get-Bjugstad-Ryan/Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Jensen

Richardson-Lain-Sestito

Santorelli

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Emelin-Stanton

Pretending to know what is going to happen is...pretending.

Btw, - the deal you've just cited - Schenn/Simmonds, Laughton (Canada's WJC captain) and a 1st is hardly much less of a "king's ransom" than your 'voice of reason' is pretending to dispel here.

here's one thing i don't understand, everyone keeps talking about this maata guy who playing D for fracks sake. WE NEED SCORING UP FRONT, WE ARE 3RD WORST IN SCORING.

you need to think longer term than that.

Never read that rumour about Chicago wanting to deal with Vancouver. Can you confirm that?

It's buried in the Kesler thread on HF, something from the Chicago blogger for Hockeybuzz, or it might have been TFP, I don't remember, it was a nice package "rumoured".

I heard on team1040 one of the ESPN guys was on saying Kesler would only be willing to go to Detroit, Philly, Pitts, Chicago, and CBJ I believe.

Blackhawks have always been looking for a 2nd line center. But don't think they will want to pay the price for Kes and believe they are good to go as is for another cup.

I don't think it is that crazy to believe Ottawa would do this deal (with some other parts going either way likely).

I honestly believe you could remake this team with just a few trades.

1. Edler for Ryan

- both teams need changes, Jump on the Edler-Karlsson Olympic buzz while it is hot

2. Burrows +? for Emelin

- Not sure what we would have to add, but we have plenty of 3rd liners, both players sucking bad this year. Burrows has a better resume to believe he will improve again, Emelin has a greater upside but is also a greater risk to see if he can ever regain form

3. Kesler and Luongo for Bjugstad, Goc and the 2014 1st rounder

- Florida wants to spend money and make the playoffs next year. This trade gets them there even without spending the other $20 million extra they have to play around with in the UFA market. Goc is simply a piece to keep us OK for this season as he is a pending UFA. Kesler replaces Bjugstad in their lineup and is much better in the near and medium term. Luongo is far better than who they have or spending $7-9 million on a UFA goalie.

All of a sudden we are no worse in the immediate term, and have a much brighter future.

I don't see why Montreal would make that deal. Emelin brings a dimention to their defence that no-one else does, and with the way Burrows has struggled this season he would be at best a third liner in Montreal. He's making to much money to be a third liner (they're already paying Brieire to much to play on the third line)

I don't see why Montreal would make that deal. Emelin brings a dimention to their defence that no-one else does, and with the way Burrows has struggled this season he would be at best a third liner in Montreal. He's making to much money to be a third liner (they're already paying Brieire to much to play on the third line)

If we just want to unload Burrows, what about something like Collberg and a 2nd? I'm sure Burr still has some trade value left.

here's one thing i don't understand, everyone keeps talking about this maata guy who playing D for fracks sake. WE NEED SCORING UP FRONT, WE ARE 3RD WORST IN SCORING.

Sure. But Pitts's high end prospects are all Dmen. With Maatta we can flip Edler for a forward from say Phili or Columbus or DET.

We're talking about the Penguins here, so the point is to look at what they actually have to offer.

if you'd like to propose a Kesler for Neal deal, by all means, feel free to share your wisdom.

We've seen endless proposals suggesting that Edler get dealt for a top 6 winger. Imo that is a horrible idea unless a premier young defenseman is brought back in that or another deal.

In addition, the Canucks prospect pool is far more weighted in forward talent than it is in young defensemen - significant gap actually.

Bringing a young defenseman like Maata to this organization is a no-brainer regardless.

Archived